Rate the last series/season you saw (TV)

Pennyworth

2/5

First season is not over yet, I just lost interest.

Show is a batman spinoff about Alfred Pennyworth and is set post WW1. Show seems to focus on anti-nazis, before nazis were properly a thing. Despite the anti-nazi focus, protagonists are very white and have [British] nationalist interests. I feel like the anti-nazi focus is present to offset their white cast selection and plot, rather than being something that they [the creators of the show] actually care about.

The show pushes various social justice fronts in a token capacity, while being a mainly bland show that is only really worth watching if you are a batman fan that "must" watch anything related. There is no batman in the setting and none of the traditional things (no costumes, no gadgets, no alternate identities, etc) that make batman enjoyable to watch.

There is a female villain (Bet Stykes, played by Paloma Faith) in the show, who is quite well done, but she isn't even the main villian. She plays a mentally challenged thug for the pre-nazi villians. Her character is like a Harley Quinn, but without a degree in psychology.

A Certain Scientific Accelerator

3/5

Anime series. Every title in the series begins with "A Certain Scientific..." and this particular show is about about a character known as the Accelerator. If you like the others in the series, this one is decent. Protagonist is a reforming villain, and dislikes their destiny-seeming-pull towards the life of a hero. Dunno, it's superpowers anime. Decent.

Preacher, Season 4

4/5

This season starts slow, but I really liked it in the end. Pretty sure they're ending here. Closed up the series in a good way, given their entirely screwed up setting. Worth watching.

If you haven't seen the previous seasons, definitely watch them in order. Also, very much not for young kids. Lots of swearing, violence, blood and death. Think "R" rated.

Great show.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, WestRider said:

Disenchantment: Man, how was I sleeping on this for so long? Pretty much exactly my jam, hilarious stuff, with a surprisingly deep plot as it goes on.

I love that one. Lucky you got into it late, now you don't have to wait as long for the next season.

The 10th Kingdom (free on Amazon prime)

3/5

I've always heard this one was good. Not often, but I hear good reviews from time to time. Never hear complaints. So it's been on my tentative to watch list for a while.

Show is like a young woman's/girl's fantasy adventure.

As a guy, this one isn't amazing, but it grows on you. I'd peg the target as 14-16 yr old girls, though I've never been a girl, so my guess is iffy on this one.

Mostly kid appropriate. Definitely safe for 12+ girls.

Only criticism would be that the only non-white characters are comic relief "trolls". 

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan Season Two was a good techno-thriller, but not quite as good as Season One (which, to be fair, I thought was damn near perfect). Solid performances from all the principal actors, although some of the supporting cast were a little too “melodrama” for the Tom Clancy feel... and Noomi Rapace felt really under used after the midpoint of the season. (I wonder if there were scheduling conflicts. She doesn’t appear onscreen with anyone else in the last two or three episodes, just talking to them on the phone.)

And, yes, it was a little silly that they implied the Big Bad Evil Guy ruling Venezuela as a strong-man dictator was a right wing extremist and the Great White Hope candidate running against him was implied to be a center-left candidate... And yes, she was way too squeaky clean for a Tom Clancy character... A weird Mary Sue hybrid of Oprah Winfrey and Elizabeth Warren, by way of kindergarten teacher. But the rest of the series is strong enough that I could overlook all that. She’s more of a MacGuffin than a character.

Three and a half stars out of five. 

49 minutes ago, Ish said:

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan Season Two was a good techno-thriller, but not quite as good as Season One (which, to be fair, I thought was damn near perfect). Solid performances from all the principal actors, although some of the supporting cast were a little too “melodrama” for the Tom Clancy feel... and Noomi Rapace felt really under used after the midpoint of the season. (I wonder if there were scheduling conflicts. She doesn’t appear onscreen with anyone else in the last two or three episodes, just talking to them on the phone.)

And, yes, it was a little silly that they implied the Big Bad Evil Guy ruling Venezuela as a strong-man dictator was a right wing extremist and the Great White Hope candidate running against him was implied to be a center-left candidate... And yes, she was way too squeaky clean for a Tom Clancy character... A weird Mary Sue hybrid of Oprah Winfrey and Elizabeth Warren, by way of kindergarten teacher. But the rest of the series is strong enough that I could overlook all that. She’s more of a MacGuffin than a character.

Three and a half stars out of five. 

Also less episodes in season 2.

The Vampire Diaries (Season 1)

3/5

For starters, I've kinda exhausted the available shows I 'aught to be watching. This one is a topic I enjoy, but with a much younger target audience than I'd prefer. I've been enjoying "Legacies" which is a currently airing sequel show, so now I'm going back and watching this sort of thing.

Anywho, this one is a Teen Drama about a human girl and her harem of male vampires. First episode is terrible and bland, but the show does get better until the last episode of season 1 which ends exactly how I hoping it would. Still, way too much "teen drama," but I can filter.

Off to go watch season 2. I love not having to wait for a new season.

First episode of ‘The Mandolorian’ was pretty good.  Great set design, costuming, special effects, and CGI; great performances from all the principle actors; and a very well-paced plot that keeps you interested in the events of the moment whilst slowly setting the hook(s) for the rest.

Plot is a pretty by the numbers “bounty hunter drifter rolls into town, gets a job no one else can handle, and things go sideways” that was used in countless dime novels, western b-movies, and every other episode of ‘Have Gun Will Travel’ or ‘The Rifleman’. But the classics are classics for a reason and the show does it very well.

I’ll admit I was skeptical and this was only the first episode. But I’m official moving myself all the way from from “watching out of morbid curiosity” to “eagerly awaiting the next episode.”

Four stars out of five.

Vampire Diaries (season 3)

2/5

This season wasn't very good, but it held my attention. They kinda went overkill with the drama and ended up kinda like game of thrones in that they killed lots of fully functional characters really quickly. I suspect they'll have resurrect or magic those characters back, because they really did throw away a lot of very good characters.

One of the underlying nonsensical plots of this season was that the female protagonist is totally in love with vampires, yet has a very strong sense of repulsion at becoming a vampire herself. Reminds me of the Harem anime where the perverted protagonist's aversion to sex is because the series isn't allow to show sex, so they have to dance around the idea of narrowly avoiding having sex, over and over. Same thing, but becoming a vampire instead of having sex.

I will note that none of the characters really have any hobbies. They're either in a heavy teen drama situation, in a life or death situation, or otherwise having to do something related to the supernatural, or in a romance situation. They really could use some calm coping skills, like painting models.... 

Season wasn't very good, but the show is still a sold 3/5 and I look forward to the next season.

Ray Donovan 4.5/5

Amazon Prime has S1 available until December 1 so I gave it a shot. I loved so I signed up for the 7 days free with Showtime so that I can binge the rest.

It is like a contemporary Sopranos. I liked the Sopranos but there were so many pointless plot lines that went nowhere. Plus, Tony was, at the end of the day, just a sociopath. Ray Donovan is much tighter and more focused. Ray is also much more nuanced and complicated.

The Crown Series 3, continues to be top form, even after the change over of almost the entire cast. Complete with a brilliant bit of “lampshade hanging” in the season’s cold open as the older Queen Elizabeth II (Olivia Colman) compares the new postage stamp with her portrait on it to the older stamps with a young Elizabeth II (Claire Foy) on them.

As with series one and two, The Crown probably isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. But for a politics wonk, history nerd, Anglophile who loves a good dramatic character study (wit a bit of dry sarcasm and understated snark thrown in) this show is like tailor made for me.

”Aberfan” was probably the best episode of series three, possibly one of the best in the series to date. Although, I have to admit, “Tywysog Cymru” did a remarkable job of redeeming Prince Charles by showing him as the sensitive-but-witty young man he was always considered before his divorce became tabloid fodder decades later.

Hard to give The Crown an objective rating. I love it, but I guess I can see why others wouldn’t... 

• Like 1

Huh, was going back though this thread and can't find my review of season 11 of Doctor Who.

Doctor Who (Season 11)

1/5

Nothing wrong with the new doctor or the actors. Wish they were given a better script, nothing about the actors should have failed. 

Not all, but enough of the episodes are focused heavily on real-world politics and, more so, are botched attempts at social justice. Had to stop watching this one.

Like there's an episode about Rosa Parks where they establish that the entire equal race rights movement in America would never have come about if not for the intervention of the White British Doctor and her British companions. They completely omit the British role in American slavery and take the high road while portraying white Americans as exclusively racist.

And then there's an episode that just insults Trump. Nothing wrong with American shows insulting our president, but for another country's show to be mocking our president for the entire episode - don't really want to watch that. And it's not a fun portrayal, they don't make fun of the president, they just insult.

And then we have an episode that explains why Indians (India Indians) are good and Muslims are bad.

And that's where I stopped.

I don't like watching TV where I get upset after/while watching it. Same reason I don't watch the news. It's really sad that Doctor Who has become such a show. I'm done with this one. They've alienated me as a viewer, with just half of season 11. I'm even disinclined to purchase the previous seasons because I fear they will misinterpret it as approval of the current season.

In hindsight, show has been going downhill for a while. Others have pointed that out to me and I pushed on anyway. This season was a straw (or a pile of straws) breaking the camel's already burdened back. Done.

Vampire Diaries (Season 5)

3/5

Setting is getting a tad overpowered. Their little party of 5th level high drama adventurers keeps running into 20th level villains...which they don't really defeat so much as sidestep, but it's getting rather hard for them to go anywhere without encountering an old rival or villain. And often the plot becomes about playing one villain off another. If it wasn't so repetitious, it would actually be a quite amazing show.

It's still holding my interest. 6th season, here I come.

Watched the first episode of the Yu-Gi-Oh TV show on a whim.

Show is incredibly terrible. It's like every bad trope combined into a 20min animated episode. It was laughably terrible, but not enough so that I actually want to watch more episodes.

Granted, it's very dated and for children. 

His Dark Materials (1st season)

1/5

It's an HBO series on the Golden Compass and the sequel books. I got about 3 episodes in and have lost interested.

Their setting kinda bleak, and I'm not particularly attached to the characters. Setting is often regarded as Fantasy, but if you go in looking for fantasy, it's disappointing - it's closer to Fringe than to Lord of the Rings, in their handling of content. And despite despite being marketed as a kids book, it's really not - the entire book is just psychologically damaged. Though apparently, that's more the publisher's doing, as the author describes it as written for no particular age.

As an aside, I learned recently that the local Library classifies non-sexual fiction as Young Adult...I had wondered how they distinguished the line, apparently that's it. That explains a few books that are in that section and really aren't for kids in any respect.

That said, acting and special effects are fine. There's nothing wrong with it if you like it, I just don't.