Rate the last series/season you saw (TV)

• 3 months later...
48 minutes ago, WestRider said:

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power s5: They stuck the landing. 'Nuff said.

I’m a season and a half behind, but I absolutely loved everything I’ve seen up to that point. Both of my daughters are irked that I haven’t caught up and won’t let them spoil it for me...

(I really wish the creative team behind the new She-Ra would be given a shot at revamping He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ish said:

I’m a season and a half behind, but I absolutely loved everything I’ve seen up to that point. Both of my daughters are irked that I haven’t caught up and won’t let them spoil it for me...

(I really wish the creative team behind the new She-Ra would be given a shot at revamping He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.)

Pretty much anything I said beyond that would have been spoilers. Noelle said in one of the interviews after s5 dropped that she does have other projects in planning. Maybe MotU?

• 4 weeks later...

Harley Quinn, seasons 1 and 2: I really loved this. Basically the Venture Bros. meets Batman: The Animated Series. In some ways, it seems like a small thing, but it feels so much more right when the villains can actually swear properly and kill people. And talk about sex, for that matter*. Some cool plots, strong arcs in each season, and actual character development. Great cast, too, with Ivy, King Shark, Bane, and Clayface as the major standouts for me. Alan Tudyk actually holds his own in the inevitable comparison with Mark Hamill's Joker, which is impressive. My only real issue is, basically, that it ended where I wanted it to start. Or in other words, I really hope we get a couple more seasons.

*Nothing explicit, but it's just that they can, for instance, actually say outright that Ivy and Kite Man are having sex, rather than just referring to it obliquely with the fact that they're dating.

• 3 months later...

The Mandalorian Series Two, Episode One. Hot damn, they didn’t disappoint! If you liked the first series, then you’ll be pleased to know that the second started out just as strong.

Very mild spoiler ahead...

Jon Favreau clearly played a lot of WEG Star Wars D6 in his youth. I’m genuinely shocked that the Marshal wasn’t named Jodo Kast... Although, this does mean that the background Mando seen in Series One wearing nearly identical armor might still be Kast.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I almost finished Raised by Wolves on HBO. I mostly liked it up until about 2/3rds of the way through the final episode.

The androids in Ridley Scott's greater Alieniverse have always grossed me out. That thick, milky blood. He reeaaaaaalllly leaned into it this time. I won't paint the picture or spoil it, but there were squishy noises, a LOT of gurgling, and no small amount of gagging and retching. I tried looking away, it was not enough.

I have never watched something so gross it made me puke, but at 33 years, that streak has come to an end. A few things have made me nauseous, but nothing has pushed me over the edge before. I made it into the bathroom, but not to the sink...

Ridley Scott, you have ruined my night, my bathroom, my slippers, this show, and quite possibly tomato bisque soup too.

You absolute bastard.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Righteous Gemstones S1:

Holy snap this cast is amazing. John Goodman is universally loved, Walton Goggins has stolen every scene he's ever been in, Danny McBride is a legitimately good actor (way more than just his arrogant imbecile tom-foolery), Edi Patterson is a hilarious improv comedian, and Adam Devine always delights me.

Brought to you by Danny McBride/Jody Hill who also did Eastbound and Down and Vice Principals for HBO, the show follows an extremely wealthy televangelist family as they sort through life after losing their matriarch, the rudder that steered this band of hypocrites.

It simultaneously tears down the preaching for profit business model and provides hopeful themes of family relationships and self-improvement. It's hilarious and dark, clever and fast paced. Every character appears to be a caricature at first glance, but proves to be a deep, complex, and somehow relatable character despite having almost nothing in common with any of them.

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2020 at 10:07 PM, Munkie said:

Well, I almost finished Raised by Wolves on HBO. I mostly liked it up until about 2/3rds of the way through the final episode.

The androids in Ridley Scott's greater Alieniverse have always grossed me out. That thick, milky blood. He reeaaaaaalllly leaned into it this time. I won't paint the picture or spoil it, but there were squishy noises, a LOT of gurgling, and no small amount of gagging and retching. I tried looking away, it was not enough.

I have never watched something so gross it made me puke, but at 33 years, that streak has come to an end. A few things have made me nauseous, but nothing has pushed me over the edge before. I made it into the bathroom, but not to the sink...

Ridley Scott, you have ruined my night, my bathroom, my slippers, this show, and quite possibly tomato bisque soup too.

You absolute bastard.

Didn't watch human centipede, eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Munkie said:

I know what to avoid haha!

But I was tricked!

I only watched centipede cuz one of the roomies brought it for crappy campy movie night.  Watched the whole thing. 

I watched a couple episodes of Raised by wolves, but it just didn't hook me.  Maybe I only watched the first episode on youtube, as I don't have hbo. One of the roomies does, but I think GvK is the first thing I've hit him up about.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

'Easy'

The premise doesn't seem especially interesting at first pass. Urban gen Xers deal with day to day life in the city including the fallout of promiscuity and infidelity. It works because the writing is really good and the performances are believable. The third season especially got to me because of it how it portrays unintended consequences. 

Invincible is the animated adaptation of the comic book series of the same name; They’ve made a lot of changes to the specifics of the comic’s initial story arcs, but haven’t changed the tone, characterization, or the themes. Keeps things surprising, even though I have a general idea of what’s going to happen (since I read the comic) I don’t necessarily know when or how.

The animation quality is top notch, the voice actors are wonderful (J.K. Simmons is perfectly cast as Omni-Man) and the music is great too.

However, I feel that it must be noted that just because it’s and animated superhero show doesn’t mean it’s family friendly fare. Amazon explicitly rates the series as 18+ and displays a banner across the screen that says “Warning: mature content: This animated series is intended for mature audiences only. Viewer discretion is advised.” before you even click on it. Watching the first episode, this might seem totally unnecessary... until the shocking moment when it becomes clear why that content label is there.

If you’ve ever read the comic, then you already know. If you haven’t, trust me: don’t let children watch this unsupervised.

• Thanks 1

Been a while since I watched that one but I can see that interpretation...  As I recall it got a lot darker between Butcher's storyline and the new Super that shows up (trying to avoid spoilers).  I didn't get to the point of pulling the ripcord but I did find it a bit more of a slog (although I agree it was probably better written).