Rate the last series/season you saw (TV)

Mr. Robot (season 2) - 2/5 - This one drags a whole lot by comparison to season 1.  There are a couple of places where they try to introduce twists but they are not really surprising and they lack the impact or gravitas of season 1.  Instead the series just becomes about detestable characters who are essentially ruled by incompetence and while for some of them it is in character others are written out of character to create dramatic tension in places where it becomes unbelievable.

Mr. Robot (season 3) - 3/5 - The writing improves and characters tend to be more consistent which improves the series.  There are some decent twists but none that compare to season 1.  The set up for season 4 (not out yet) is decent but leaves me wondering what they think they can do with it that will not trivialize everything they have done so far.  Where I had high hopes after season 1 this one has dropped to the middle of my list for follow-up.

Battlestar Galactica (season 1) - 2/5 - I've heard so many good things about this and I am trying to slog through it but this is really poorly written.  Half the named characters are so poorly written that they would be better off being un-named so that there was no question of motivation or consistency.  Another show that revolves around the inability of characters to communicate clearly in any way.  This can be fine if it is consistent or used sparingly but when it is the key trope for 75% of your characters in every one of your episodes it is overdone.  I'd like it to press my nostalgia buttons but it can't even do that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duckman said:

Battlestar Galactica (season 1) - 2/5 - I've heard so many good things about this and I am trying to slog through it but this is really poorly written.  Half the named characters are so poorly written that they would be better off being un-named so that there was no question of motivation or consistency.  Another show that revolves around the inability of characters to communicate clearly in any way.  This can be fine if it is consistent or used sparingly but when it is the key trope for 75% of your characters in every one of your episodes it is overdone.  I'd like it to press my nostalgia buttons but it can't even do that.

BSG took me a while. I watched it maybe a decade ago. There are aspects that never improve, but the characters do get their water legs after a bit. I didn't watch OG, so I had no emotional attachment going in. By the end, I had a couple characters I was attached to and invested in their development and story. Some real gut punches.

4 hours ago, Duckman said:

Don't watch the final episode. I guarantee your head-canon finale will be way better.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, andy said:

Don't watch the final episode. I guarantee your head-canon finale will be way better.

I love how bitter people are about the end.

"So wait a minute, the thing multiple characters have been saying for 80 episodes is true?! What an outrage! I was sure it would be a twist ending!"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Orville (Season 1)

3/5

It's like a halfway point between Star Trek Next Generation and Futurama, except both of those shows are much better. On the other hand, there's sort of a void that it fills with regards to space shows.

On the science end, this show doesn't use any: It just travels from sci-fi trope to sci-fi trope (which may have science basis, but I get the feeling watching it that the show is based on the tropes, not the science). 

On the humor end, it has jokes, but they are few and far between.

The show is...good enough, I guess, yeah, that's a good way to describe it. It's good enough. I'd much rather have another Futurama or another STNG, or both, but this show is good enough for the time being.

The Orville (Season 2)

2/5

They had a functional combination, but decided they needed to rock the boat. The thing that STNG, Futurama, and Star Wars have in common, aside from the space setting, is that they are pretty consistent from episode to episode. This season was a rocky boat. Everything from the quality to the subject matter is just kinda random feeling. I think the writers are bored....or something.

Corner Gas: The Animated Series (Season 1, and 6 episodes of season 2)

3/5 (leans to 4/5)

Having never seen the live-action film this is based on, I found this simple animated show to be quite enjoyable. Show plays like family guy or american dad, except that it's more laid back, has less fighting, and focuses on more "realistic" scenarios. At no point, does the show make me want to see the film.

It's a sitcom about a very small town, centered specifically around the gas station (called Corner Gas), the attached restaurant, and the regulars that attend. Show is enjoyable, but it's not very good or very bad, just very tolerable middleground (which is an accomplishment of it's own). Season 2 remained of equal quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Archer - 9/10

I can watch pretty much any episode, or stretch of episodes, and enjoy myself, regardless of how many times I've watched it.  Venture Bros, and Rick and Morty are right there, too.  I can't think of too many shows that are like that for me at the moment.  Movies, ya, but shows, not so much.  Be it engaged, or background noise, they are great.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Final Space

In between 2/5 and 3/5

Show is good, but it feels very artifical. It's like the author isn't using any original thought, like they have some statistics guy tell them what to put in based on supposed viewer desires. Incredibly predictable show on so many levels.

Anywho, cartoon, show is like if you remade Red Dwarf as an action series. And then instead of good writers and humor, you replaced that with drawing a random sci-fi trope from a hat. Everything from plot to cast seems like they went through a riggerous screening process to maximize total viewers.

Exactly the kind of show I would normally like, but this one really irks me. But it clearly has a good budget and it's not poorly done, so if you can get past the bits that drive me nuts about the show, then it would be a good (or at least decent) show.

I got through the first season and some of the second, then went back to World of Warcraft (reputation grinding was better). Really was hoping it would get better in the second season, but more of the same. Maybe I'm too old to enjoy it.

The Rook (8 episodes watched, think it's over, was a miniseries)

4/5

I like this one. Protagonist is a very capable female with a super power, but unfortunately has lost her entire memory. She's lost, but not fragile or weak willed. More explained would be spoilers, as this one starts like memento where knowing what will happen will absolutely ruin this one. I think it's well done.

5 hours ago, paxmiles said:

The Rook (8 episodes watched, think it's over, was a miniseries)

4/5

I like this one. Protagonist is a very capable female with a super power, but unfortunately has lost her entire memory. She's lost, but not fragile or weak willed. More explained would be spoilers, as this one starts like memento where knowing what will happen will absolutely ruin this one. I think it's well done.

I read this novel, quite enjoyed it. Didn't know it was a show as well.

Jessica Jones, Season 3: Ouch. That was heavy. I don't think I've seen a collection of human wreckage like that since Requiem for a Dream. Every one of these characters is, in and of themselves, a complete train wreck. I don't even have a word for all of them together. Very well done, but I had to keep stopping for a while and then coming back to it later because it just got overwhelming.

As a side note, I love that they hired a trans actress for a role where the fact that she was trans didn't matter at all. It definitely informs the character at some points, but it's never mentioned, never a plot point. It's just that she was the actress for the role.

Also, I can't help but feel like Trish's powers arc would have gone way better for her if she'd been friends with Matt. I feel like his Catholic guilt would have meshed well with her mommy issues guilt, and his angsting over killing people might have helped rein her in a bit.

The Inbetween (10 episodes, pretty sure it's over)

4/5

Another good-natured cop drama where the police get help from a person with a connection to the supernatural. If you can get past the anti-staight male overtones, which are faint, it's quite well done. I enjoyed it.

• 3 weeks later...

Carnival Row (Season 1)

1/5

I only got through the first episode. It looks bad and is bad. I think the target audience is white people that want to be upset by racism, yet want to watch a show with an almost entirely white cast...And also want a show with fairies and magic.

First episode ends with a quote that one of the other characters made in that same episode, also towards the end. Not sure if they just thought we wouldn't remember or if the logic is that audience has a short attention span. A bad way to end a bad show.

Acting is very good, as are costumes. Orlando Bloom is one of the main protagonists. Just not good enough to make a bad script and depressing, intolerant setting, into an enjoyable show.

IMDB seems to think this is an 8.1/10. Not sure why, though I suppose it's possible that the target audience I described is a large group...sigh

On 8/26/2019 at 11:55 PM, WestRider said:

Every one of these characters is, in and of themselves, a complete train wreck.

That's my issue with Jessica Jones. I really want to see a strong female in a super hero role, but it's really hard to feel that way about Jessica Jones when she's only physically strong and is just a complete train wreck on the mental end. And she really has no creativity with super strength...

13 hours ago, paxmiles said:

That's my issue with Jessica Jones. I really want to see a strong female in a super hero role, but it's really hard to feel that way about Jessica Jones when she's only physically strong and is just a complete train wreck on the mental end. And she really has no creativity with super strength...

See, that's what I like about JJ. She's someone I can identify with pretty well, other than the super strength. Different strokes for different folks. It did get a bit overwhelming in this season at points, but in general, it's something I like.

On 9/14/2019 at 1:01 PM, WestRider said:

See, that's what I like about JJ. She's someone I can identify with pretty well, other than the super strength. Different strokes for different folks. It did get a bit overwhelming in this season at points, but in general, it's something I like.

Agreed.  You mean super powers don't automatically fix a lifetime of abuse?  Shocking.  I remember enjoying S1 but as the episodes went on, I had the growing horror of realizing exactly what it meant for JJ to Killgrave's slave for so long.  The fact that she doesn't go full-on killdozer and destroy entire city blocks out of rage shows her strength of character.

10 hours ago, Yarbicus said:

Agreed.  You mean super powers don't automatically fix a lifetime of abuse?  Shocking.  I remember enjoying S1 but as the episodes went on, I had the growing horror of realizing exactly what it meant for JJ to Killgrave's slave for so long.  The fact that she doesn't go full-on killdozer and destroy entire city blocks out of rage shows her strength of character.

Yes, lol, totally agree that her situation that she is in, and has lived through, definitely justify her mental state being just wreckage.

But, for me anyway, the emphasis on is on "hero" in the "super hero" and if she's too broken, It's hard to enjoy her adventures, as she mentally limps around. She needs saving more than the people she helps, usually. And she often just helps herself.

I think she'd make a great villian (or a more neutral antagonist) for another hero. Her being Killgrave's Slave, for example, would be a great antagonist duo for some other hero.

I suppose she's also financially wrecked. Bruce Wayne might be similar to JJ if not for his wealth...hmmm...maybe not, they are pretty different.

On 9/17/2019 at 9:20 AM, Yarbicus said:

Yeah, her show could be thought of as a horror series just as easily as a super hero show. The mental/emotional beating she takes actually keeps getting worse as it goes on.

• Thanks 1

Kröd Mändoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire - 5/10 - A buddy of mine basically said that as a gamer, it was my duty to watch this. So I did. Eh...it didn't take that long to watch I suppose. It was a BBC/American show back in 2009. It was supposed to be a D&D like comedy. It actually has Kevin Hart in it as one of the main party characters (clearly before he got big though). It was campy and silly and I'm not sure what else to say about it. The bad guy was actually the most amusing character in the whole thing. For the main character Krod, his big story arc was basically about how he loved the hot girl in his party, but she was a sexually open being who didn't mind screwing everybody and anybody. Surprised the show didn't use the "wha-wha-wha" horn throughout. Wasn't the worst thing I ever saw..but if you want to laugh out loud, don't watch this. Watch Big Mouth.

7 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

Kröd Mändoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire - 5/10 - A buddy of mine basically said that as a gamer, it was my duty to watch this. So I did. Eh...it didn't take that long to watch I suppose. It was a BBC/American show back in 2009. It was supposed to be a D&D like comedy. It actually has Kevin Hart in it as one of the main party characters (clearly before he got big though). It was campy and silly and I'm not sure what else to say about it. The bad guy was actually the most amusing character in the whole thing. For the main character Krod, his big story arc was basically about how he loved the hot girl in his party, but she was a sexually open being who didn't mind screwing everybody and anybody. Surprised the show didn't use the "wha-wha-wha" horn throughout. Wasn't the worst thing I ever saw..but if you want to laugh out loud, don't watch this. Watch Big Mouth.

Tried to watch that one, after you mentioned it.

1/5 for me. Very sexually focused fantasy comedy. Lots of homosexual discomfort on behalf of characters in the show - the kind of humor that was common a few years back and isn't as common or funny anymore. Not worth watching.