Smiling Skulls Space Marines

Okay, called customer service for those FW books, with probably a $5 call (my cell service doesn't seem to like the FW customer service), I learned that it's been 16 "working" days and it can take up to 28 working days for things to arrive. So maybe the 22nd... doesn't say anything about 28 working days anywhere on the website (says 13 working days). In hindsight, I think the express delivery might actually work out cheaper if it means I don't need to contact FW....next time. 

Still, that is a relief. I was worried the package got lost and I'd need to go through some long replacement procedure (or I'd just lose my money).

Hey, that Black Legion artefact, the Eye of Night, can I use it while within 1" of an enemy or to hit a target within 1" of an enemy?

Kinda an odd duck option, as it replaces shooting, but isn't really a shooting attack as far as I can tell. 

Oh, do you think I should paint on that Black Legion logo in addition to my Smiling Skulls logo, just to avoid confusion? Black Legion doesn't really have a hard logo to paint, but it also seems odd having two chapter logos on a single model...

List tinkering. Not sure I like it, but it is interesting seeing that the Brigade can be done for CSM and still include the superheavy. 

Black Legion 2k (Smiling Skulls)

Brigade Detachment (+9 CP)

HQ Warpsmith (Bolt Pistol, Meltagun, Flamer, Power Axe) 45+17+9+5=76pts

HQ Warpsmith (Bolt Pistol, Meltagun, Flamer, Power Axe) 45+17+9+5=76pts

HQ Chaos Lord on Juggernaut (Juggernaut's Bladed Horn, Paired Lightning Claws) 125+10+12=147pts

Elites Hellbrute (Twin Heavy Bolter + Missile Launcher) 72+17+25=114pts

Troops Chaos Space Marines (5, Mark of Khorne, 4 Bolt Pistol+Chainsword, Bolt Pistol + Power Fist) 65+12=77pts

Dedicated Rhino (Mark of Khorne, Combi-Bolter) 70+2=72pts

Troops Chaos Cultists (10, Heavy Stubber) 40+4=44pts

Fast Raptors (5, Mark of Nurgle, 7 Bolt Pistol + Chainsword, 2 Plasmaguns, 1 champion with Power Fist + Bolt Pistol + Icon of Despair) 85+26+12+10=133pts

Fast Chaos Spawn (1) 33pts

Fast Chaos Spawn (1) 33pts

Heavy Support Vindicator (Mark of Khorne) 135pts

Heavy Support Havocs (5, 1 Missile Launcher) 65+25=90pts

Heavy Support Havocs (5, 1 Missile Launcher) 65+25=90pts

Subtotal 1524pts

Super Heavy Auxilery Detachment (+0 CP)

LoW Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyer 470pts

Subtotal 470pts

Reserve Points: 6pts

Total: 2,000pts. 9 CP.

Warlord = Juggernaut Lord

Warlord Trait = Inspiring Leader (+1 Leadership to allies within 1")

Artefact on Juggernaut Lord = Eye of Night

Hmm...here's a weird idea: could take some defilers (or similar 72" range unit), and put them in the back field, then have everything else deep strike, but not deep striking turn 1, waiting until turn 4 or 5. In this edition, I'm not obligated to arrive on a specific turn. So if I deliberately waited, my opponent would have less time to defeat me AND I could spam my command points all into a single turn or two. Certainly a gamble.

On November 8, 2017 at 12:15 PM, WestRider said:

Anything still in Reserves at the start of Turn 4 automatically dies in Matched play. Also, there's the restriction that no more than half of your Units can be placed in Reserves.

Hmm...well turn 3, instead of 4 or 5. Still, intersting that you could avoid serveral turns of shooting/combat. Dunno if it would be worth it, but it's an interesting tactical consideration.

Is the wording "half my units" or "half my points"? 

Going to have some painted models to show off in the near future. Nothing too amazing, but the paint schemes are turning out and the basing is looking nice. Been replacing old 25mm bases with the new 32mm ones. Gotta say, I do like the new base size for some of those old models. 

Started the process of painting by deity mark. So got some Purple for Slaanesh, Red for khorne, Blue for Tzeentch and Green for Nurgle, plus black for Unmarked units. Though sticking with the Red and Blue background for my Smiling Skulls chapter logo. 

So paint Scheme is as follows: Heads/turrets are Half Black and Half White, vertically split. Shoulders are half red and half blue, horizonally split. With Chapter logo and other markings in White on the shoulder pad. Skulls/bone are their own color (bone). Then the arms/body/legs/hull/hatches are in the color of their deity as above. Weapons are in grey, as are vents and similar things. Wood, leather and capes are all brown, with any feathery/furry frills in blue. Eyes are Green for helmets and daemons, as are headlights. Rocks on the basing, plus any stonework on the models are painted as with skulls/bone. Gold will be used sparingly, but is found on some Daemon armor.

Basing is Fall bushes, Dark Grass, and rocks.

So far, not using any washes, just layering and hand painted (spray for primer)

After making that list of transports, I'm tinkering with the idea of including a Bastion (or other building transport), if only for the purpose of denying Turn 1 soft targets. 

Another, related, realization is that the Chaos Space Marine troops can feature two heavy weapons in a 10-man "tactical" squad. This, on it's own, is very useful for my black legion, which have re-rolls on all shooting for the Troops marines with a 1 cp stratagem and they have the ability to advance and fire rapid fire weapons, making bolters more appealing. 

So, a bastion that can hold 20 guys with 10 using the fire points, just perfect for two units of 5 havocs and one 10 unit of chaos space marines, with 10 heavy weapons between them (plus the bastion's 4 heavy bolters).

Oh, another thing I noticed regarding the Exalted Chamption. So that Exalted Champion is the one HQ option added between the index and the codex. He's an odd HQ option because he's really expensive for an HQ without access to an invulnerable save or jump pack, or even just some other reason that he's a useful addition. For abilities, he has two, the first being an aura (6") with the ability to re-roll wounds in fight phase. Although nice, it's rather mediocre given that his base cost is that of a lord and he lacks the invulnerable option.

His second ability I had misread. It allows him personally to re-roll hits against enemy characters. I misread it to only function in the fight phase, like the other ability. It does not have that limitation. So, the Exalted champion is potentially a ranged character assassin (limited to combi-bolters and pistol, still). 

Also, after being corrected on that plasma pistol topic, re-rolling all hits is substancially more useful than only 1s, as re-rolls apply to unmodified results, but overheats include the modified results. So re-rolling 1s means that any 2s rolled while at -1 to hit, can't be rerolled for a Chaos Lord re-roll of 1s, but still overheat...

So rerolling everything is substancially more practical for plasma weapons. 

5 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Another, related, realization is that the Chaos Space Marine troops can feature two heavy weapons in a 10-man "tactical" squad. This, on it's own, is very useful for my black legion, which have re-rolls on all shooting for the Troops marines with a 1 cp stratagem and they have the ability to advance and fire rapid fire weapons, making bolters more appealing.

Dude. Good catch. I totally missed that the second guy's options had been expanded to include the Heavy Weapons as well as the Specials.

20 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

A Lord and an Exalted Champion beside a Lord of Skulls means dead things.

You mean a Dark Apostle and an Exalted champion? The Chaos Lord only re-rolls 1s, while the dark apostle re-rolls all hits and the exalted chamption re-rolls all wounds (both in the fight phase only). 

The other solid option in that mix is a Herald of Khorne, who adds +1 Str to the Lord of Skulls, and/or a Sorcerer with Diabolic Strength + Prescience. And the lord of skulls is the only model I've found that has "User" listed as the strength for some of their ranged weapons, so if you need a Daemongore/Gorestorm Cannon with 13 Str, it can be done. 

Hmm...on subject, chaos biker character with mark of khorne and the Talisman of Fury would be able to charge after advancing, so I could advance 20" in the movement phase (bikers move 14" base, this edition, with an automatic +6" advance) and then charge another 2-12" for a total move of 22-32" which means I could completely clear no-man's land and obtain a turn 1 charge. Not bad, but expensive (costs an artefact, and probably a CP with command re-roll for one of the charge dice, plus, very likely suicidal). Lord on bike would be 113pts, plus cost of any actual weapons. Talisman of Fury being a artefact also means that I can't include any other artefacts (like special melee weapons) on the character. And Mark of Khorne is required, so no Sorcerers can do this, despite the option for a biker sorcerer. 

And there's another disappointment. Biker characters are index only. Yeah, means GW has no intention of making any new biker character models. Annoying that CSM have fallen so far from GW's eyes (we just have lots of really dated model kits and looks like very little intention of updating them). 

7 hours ago, paxmiles said:

And there's another disappointment. Biker characters are index only. Yeah, means GW has no intention of making any new biker character models. Annoying that CSM have fallen so far from GW's eyes (we just have lots of really dated model kits and looks like very little intention of updating them). 

In fairness, Loyalist SM lost most of their Biker options as well, and Eldar Autarchs just had their options stripped way down. Just about everyone is getting hit by this.

Got an extra set of metal bloodthirster wings for the purpose of making a "hell drake" from a dreadnought. Should be awesome. 

Also, I've become rather obsessed with basing my vehicles. I like that I can base them now, with matching flock, and not have it really interfer with the rules. But, anyway, working on basing the Defiler. Mine was already a bit large, but I figured out that if I reposition it's legs so it's in sort of a seated dog position, It will fit on an oval flyer base. Downside, is that this makes the defiler really tall. Not concerned with getting an advantage from this, but I'm doubting he'll get any cover saves due to how I've positioned it.

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Got an extra set of metal bloodthirster wings for the purpose of making a "hell drake" from a dreadnought. Should be awesome. 

Also, I've become rather obsessed with basing my vehicles. I like that I can base them now, with matching flock, and not have it really interfer with the rules. But, anyway, working on basing the Defiler. Mine was already a bit large, but I figured out that if I reposition it's legs so it's in sort of a seated dog position, It will fit on an oval flyer base. Downside, is that this makes the defiler really tall. Not concerned with getting an advantage from this, but I'm doubting he'll get any cover saves due to how I've positioned it.

Defilers/Soul Grinders fit really well on 160mm round bases. I've done one of my Soul Grinders so far, but it's a lot of work to get a base that big to not look unnaturally flat, so I haven't gotten around to doing my others yet.

Hmm...maybe next time. Too late to keep the old pose. 

Need to do more painting and assembling. Might need to sell off some old stuff, my "collection" is rapidly becoming a mess. Been finding some really sweet deals, but that means selling, storing, or otherwise ceasing old projects. I have so much unfinished.

Realization. I can use Warptime to move units that just used deepstrike.

Example, Sorcerer in Terminator Armor or with a Jump Pack lands turn 1 with another DS unit. They have to be 9" away from the enemy and this resolves at the end of the movement phase. I can then use Warptime to take an extra movement phase for this unit. This means I can move flamer units into flamer range, deploy outside of 12" with the deep strike and then move into rapid range (matters against Tau with early warning hardpoint), and this means I can set up easy and reliable turn 1 charges. 

Furthermore, this also means I can make Warp Talons viable. Same as before, but Warptalons have an immunity to overwatch on the turn they land, so I can land within 9" and use a 12" move to secure an easy charge (and also to possibly bypass screening units). Against AM, this would be particularly devastating, as I can multi-charge like this and tie up lots of shooting units (and most AM don't have great melee options). Don't need to win combat, just not die and tie up shooting units. And since non-flyers are unable to fall back and shoot, this means that even if they can get away, I've still disrupted their shooting phase (AM could order to bypass this limitaion, but now they are wasting orders, and with a goal of disruption, that's not a huge loss). 

Downside to this tactic is that it relies on the opponent not being able to deny the psychic power while also deliberately casting powers within range of normal psychic power denial. Plus, you could fail to cast...

7 hours ago, WestRider said:

Yeah, I've done it with CSM Terminator Squads. Warptime is a fantastic Power. Up until Quicken/Restrain came out in the Eldar Dex, it was arguably the best Psychic Power in the Game.

Huh. Wouldn't have pegged Warptime as best, but it's certainly a very nice one. I really like the Treason of Tzeentch power, though I've never actually used it. I just like the idea of stealing your units...

2 hours ago, WestRider said:

Extra movement can be incredibly powerful. It lets you break all kinds of implicit restrictions on what Armies are "normally" supposed to be able to do. The 9" exclusion zone on Infiltrating/Deep Striking Units is just the most obvious.

I don't think warptime is a lacking power in the slightest, just that I think most of them are pretty useful. Though for breaking sense of "normality" that Treason of Tzeentch is really very much more impressive. Does two rather substancial things: 

First, allows me to control the target for shooting, fighting and charging for the rest of my turn. Only works on characters, but the uses are pretty substancial. 

Second big thing it does, is that I can use it to get out of melee without going anywhere. For example, I'm in melee with an enemy character (like a bloodthirster). With treason of Tzeentch, we're no longer enemies within 1" so I can shoot normally. I don't need to fall back to get out of the combat, I just need to make the enemy into an ally...