Smiling Skulls Space Marines

I guess the LOS wasn't as big as I remember it. I still think the mass of the bottom half is still bigger than a LR by a good margin though. 

But hey, if you wanna cram a $140 kit and a $70 kit to make a $160 kit, have at it. At least it won't have the obnoxious amount of SKULLS!!!! everywhere. (Ignore this comment if you purchased both the knight and LR at not retail)

On December 30, 2017 at 7:54 PM, SPaceORK said:

I guess the LOS wasn't as big as I remember it. I still think the mass of the bottom half is still bigger than a LR by a good margin though. 

But hey, if you wanna cram a $140 kit and a $70 kit to make a $160 kit, have at it. At least it won't have the obnoxious amount of SKULLS!!!! everywhere. (Ignore this comment if you purchased both the knight and LR at not retail)

None of the GW super heavies are really that big. They are miniatures, after all. 

Is the LR  only $70 now? Could have sworn it was ~$80 last I checked. Anyway, it's just a thought. I have so many projects to work on before I really look into the second knight kit I already purchased. But if I did this, it wouldn't mean buying another model. I don't think I have an LR on the sprue, but I should have at least a couple that could be converted. 

Well, it's coming, but I always run into snags, usually because I keep making things more complicated that, perhaps, they should be. 

Let's see, so many projects at once.

First, working on getting some Green Stuffed Skulls to make the Thermal Cannons look more like old school chaos weapons (like the weapons on the old metal CSM dread). My putty skills are lacking, so it will probably look bad. Got a bunch of green stuff for x-mas.

Second, decided that I'm modeling one of the Imperial Knights as if run by Chaos Dwarves....Yeah, probably not the best conversion, but I've already gone past the point of no return with a very expensive model...

Started a Khorne Hellwright using a Centurion model. Been trying to capture the T5 2+ armor infantry look, and centurions were all I could think of. Looking well enough, though hardly finished. 

Still on the fence about my legion trait. Part of me sees how complicated the army is getting and wants to switch to world eaters just to limit the painting to one color. I could still have black legion allies for filling psyker needs, but that's one temptation. The multi-mark legion trait is rather demanding on painting...

Fifth, since I'm using red Savage orks for khorne bloodletters occured to me that green snotlings would make good nurglings. Green Snotlings is hardly a conversion, but 40k doesn't really have snotlings anyway. 

Picked up some Bloodcrushers. Someone was suggesting that I could spam chaos lords on juggernauts. I keep forgetting that in 8e HQs are much more comparable to units, so I could actually run multiple juggerlords instead of hellbrutes, or something like that. Dunno if viable. They are spendy (135pts base), but they are CHARACTERs and they have a 4++, plus there's nothing soft about a chaos lord on a juggernaut. Only annoying bit is that since they are calvary, they don't benefit from their legion trait.

Seventh, got the models together for a Rogue Psyker Coven (traitor guard HQ psyker squad). Basically just a collection of wizards from pathfinder on round bases. I should have a Chimera somewhere for them to be transported in, but I can't seem to find it. They lose a lot of their value if I can't bring them to the enemy and the renegade transport options are slim.

Eighth, Helldrake is coming along nicely. After a few attempts, looks like finished product is going to be a GK dreadnight torso and arms, dreadnought legs (with blood talons for feet), and metal bloodthirster wings. Basically a bigger daemon prince. Oh, and big hades autocannon. 

Got some reaper bones "mouth" bits, which I've been mounting on my hellforged vehicles to represent their Infernal Maw, which they all have for free now. 

Tenth, the Lightning Claw Terminators and Warptalons are coming along. Going with 4 Paired Lightning claws and one Combi-melta + Chainfist and the Champion. 

Terminator Sorcerer is turning out. Going with Force Maul and Chainfist, so as to take advantage of Death Hex. 

Eleventh, Finished converting a Warpsmith with Combi-melta. 

Okay, screw it. Going World Eaters. Not because I like Kharn or their legion traits, but because if I let myselt play a multi-god army, I'll never get any of them finished and my army will be 5 times larger than it needs to be (because I've already started to paint 5 versions of each squad, an undivided version, a khorn version, a slaanesh version, and a tzeentch version..and this army will never get finished if I keep it up like this.).

Still might include Black Legion Allies, just for psykers and Abaddon. Might also use them for Daemon Summoning, if summoning non-khorne daemons. 

Probably still a bad list, but this is the direction my CSM are going:

Detachment #1 World Eaters Spearhead Detachment (+1 CP)

HQ Chaos Lord #1 on Juggernaut (Bladed Horn, Power Sword, Bolt Pistol) 125+10+4=139pts

HQ Chaos Lord #2 on Juggernaut (Bladed Horn, Power Axe, Bolt Pistol) 125+10+5=140pts

Heavy Support Vindicator (Havoc Launcher) 125+11=136pts

Heavy Support Vindicator (Havoc Launcher) 125+11=136pts

Heavy Support Vindicator (Havoc Launcher) 125+11=136pts

Heavy Support Vindicator 125pts

Heavy Support Hellforged Whirlwind Scorpious (Scorpious Multi-Launcher) 175+40=215pts

Heavy Support Havocs (5, 4 Autocannons) 65+60=125pts

Flyer Helldrake (Helldrake Claws, Hades Autocannon) 138+17+25=180pts

Subtotal: 1332

Detachment #2 Superheavy Auxillery Detachment (+0 CP)

Lord of War Chaos Renegade Knight (Heavy Stubber, 2 Thermal Cannons) 320+4+152=476pts

Subtotal 476pts

Detachment #3 Fortification Detachment (+0 CP)

Chaos Bastion (4 Heavy Bolters) 160+32=192pts

Subtotal 192pts

Total: 2000pts (4 CP)

Hmm...playing AoS with khorne bloodbound makes me really want this army to include bloodthirsters...Also, Fortification and the helldrake won't be done anytime soon. Chaos Daemons will get a new book soon, so here's hoping for a point reduction on Bloodthirsters.

Smiling Skulls Warband 2k

World Eaters Spearhead Detachment (+1 CP)

HQ Chaos Lord on Juggernaut (Bladed Horn, Power Fist, Bolt Pistol) 125+10+12=147pts

Heavy Support Vindicator (Havoc Launcher, Combi-Bolter) 125+11+2=138pts

Heavy Support Vindicator (Havoc Launcher, Combi-Bolter) 125+11+2=138pts

Heavy Support Vindicator (Havoc Launcher, Combi-Bolter) 125+11+2=138pts

Subtotal: 561

Chaos Supreme Command Detachment (+1 CP)

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster 340pts

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster 340pts

Black Legion Sorcerer in Terminator Armor (No Mark, Force Maul, Chainfist, Death Hex, Warptime) 120+8+14=142pts

Lord of War Chaos Renegade Knight (Heavy Stubber, 2 Thermal Cannons) 320+4+152=476pts

Subtotal 1298pts

Reserve Points: 140 (which is two units of 10 bloodletters, or 1 unit of 20)

Total: 1999pts (5 CP)

Renegade Knights are coming along nicely. I'll get some pictures up soon. Current plan is to have one dedicated to Khorne with a heavy Skull theme. The other will be a "Dwarf" themed mech. The Dwarven Knight will be Abigious in Allegience, so I can also use it as an Imperial Knight in games where my AM are fielded as loyalists. The Khorne one will have the Dual Themal Cannons, while Dwarf Knight will have Dual Avenger Gatling Cannons. Both will have swappable arms for melee weapons. Conversions are coming along nicely for both. 

Hmmm...can't seem to find the base for the Khorne Knight. Dwarf Knight needs work too. Hmm. How about the Baneblade? Could try that. Should be easier to transport anyway. Hmm:

WYSIWYG Renegade Baneblade (Twin Heavy Bolter, Autocannon, Demolisher Cannon, 4 Twin Heavy Flamers, 4 Lascannons) 390+14+12+40+120+80=656pts

Knight is presently 476pts. I have 140 in reserve, so drop that. 616pts. So need another 40pts free. Hmm..Replace Juggerlord (147pts) with Recently Finished Warpsmith:

Warpsmith (Meltagun, Flamer, Combi-Melta, Power Axe) 46+17+9+19+5=96pts

World Eaters Spearhead Detachment (+1 CP)

HQ Warpsmith (Meltagun, Flamer, Combi-Melta, Power Axe) 46+17+9+19+5=96pts

Heavy Support Vindicator (Havoc Launcher, Combi-Bolter) 125+11+2=138pts

Heavy Support Vindicator (Havoc Launcher, Combi-Bolter) 125+11+2=138pts

Heavy Support Vindicator (Havoc Launcher, Combi-Bolter) 125+11+2=138pts

Subtotal: 510

Chaos Supreme Command Detachment (+1 CP)

HQ Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster 340pts

HQ Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster 340pts

HQ Black Legion Sorcerer in Terminator Armor (No Mark, Force Maul, Chainfist, Death Hex, Warptime) 120+8+14=142pts

Lord of War Renegade Baneblade (Twin Heavy Bolter, Autocannon, Demolisher Cannon, 4 Twin Heavy Flamers, 4 Lascannons) 390+14+12+40+120+80=656pts

Subtotal 1478pts

Total: 1988pts (5 CP)

Hmm...Game with Torg tonight is practice anyway. Should work, though the slower Warpsmith will probably alter my tactics a bit. 

Yeah, I was pretty thrilled when I realized that the khadron destroyer's frigate's face would fit there. And it's not done. Can't see it well in the photos but There's an exterior controll deck on the top. I'm going to have a metal Chaos dwarf crew, one pilot and another loading ordnance.

Now that I have a Decimator kinda built (see decimator thread in art section), I should look into build options there.

One I was considering is taking double C-Beamers. It's an odd build because C-Beamers don't allow moving and firing, so if I go this route, it makes for a stationary Dread. I did that test run with a C-Beamer Rapier team, which did have good results. The basic idea is that it's a weapon that is more impressive the further the opponent is from the firer, so including one "encourages" the opponent to come closer, which is appealing for my melee units. The C-Beamers are also very underpriced at 30pts each (price is about right, but they make for cheap arm options for the Decimator due to the cost of the other weapon arm options).

Chapter Approved also fixed the cost of taking Dual Melee arms, so that option exists as well. That said, the Decimator is forced to take a spendy heavy flamer variant built into each, so they remain expensive.

I did tests with the Storm Lasers on proxied decimators. They are an assault 5 anti-infantry weapon, so they can very much move and fire. Weapon is also very cheap for decimator weapon arms (25pts each). That said, I found the results to be mediocre. 

Other two weapons are the Butcher Cannon (basically a hades autocannon) and a Soulburner Petard. The Soulburner is iffy, since they doubled it's cost in Chapter Approved (60pts per arm now). The Soulburner is a fierce weapon, as it deals mortal wounds, but only has 24" of range and the cost really makes the Decimator seem like an iffy unit option. 

Okay, got that winter warzone to think about. Chaos Daemons is getting a new book soon, maybe in time for the league, so that's a consideration. Meanwhile, after talking with Peter, seems pretty clear that I need an INFANTRY unit in order to contend in at least some of the league's missions, and that INFANTRY unit needs to be objective secured (or rather, it needs be both CSM INFANTRY and of the troops battlefield role). 

Berzerkers are nice, but I don't own many. I'm thinking a single troops unit of Chaos Marines with 20 members to the squad. Give them two heavy weapons, a champion with a fist, and field my unfinished Plasma Obliterator as their "transport. Should be able to do it with about 500pts if I keep the heavy weapons cheap. That leaves 500pts for the Khorne Knight, 500pts for tanks, and 500pts for HQs. Ideally, I'll find 70pts unused for reserve to summon a bloodletter squad should this not be enough INFANTRY.

Huh. Could be "That Guy"

World Eaters Auxiliary Support Detachment (-1 CP)

HQ Warpsmith (Melta Gun, Combi-Melta, Flamer, Power Axe) 46+17+19+9+5=96pts

Subtotal: 96pts

Super Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (+3 CP)

Lord of War Renegade "Khorne" Knight (Heavy Stubber, 2 Thermal Cannons) 320+4+152=476pts

Lord of War Renegade "Dwarf" Knight (Heavy Stubber, 2 Avenger Gatling Cannons, 2 Heavy Flamers) 320+4+190+34=548pts

Lord of War Renegade & Heretics Baneblade (Demolisher Cannon, Autocannon, Twin Heavy Bolter, 4 Twin Heavy Flamers, 4 Lascannons) 390+40+12+14+120+80=656pts

Subtotal 1680pts

Fortification Detachment (+0 CP)

Chaos Bastion (4 Heavy Bolters, Quad Gun) 160+32+30=222pts

Subtotal 222pts

Total: 1998pts (5 CP)

Oh, unrelated, but since I keep referencing it, I may as well link it before I lose it: http://www.ordofanaticus.com/topic/209278-chapter-approved-previews-land-raider-apoc-missionsetc/?page=3

Got the new Daemon Book. Lots of changes, but the biggest thing I'm noticing is that my CSM with DAEMON keyword are now qualifying as Chaos Daemons, as per the description on page 124 of the daemon codex. So, in theory, the Khorne Lord on the Juggernaut is eligible for both sets of warlord traits, for both sets of artefacts, and for both sets of stratagems. That said, I think I must declare which faction each detachment is, so I don't get both at the same time, just the choice between the two. I bet this will get FAQed....

Hmmm...closer inspect reveals that daemons in the daemon book list daemon as faction keyword, while CSM daemons list daemon as a regular keyword. Not sure how much this matters to the above, but I do still suspect it will need to be FAQed/clarified. 

Hmm...well, none of the FW DAEMONS have daemon in their faction keyword. I suppose it didn't really matter until CD got their own book, but now taking FW daemons will deny CD players from having a chaos daemons detachment...lol

Anyway, looks like I was wrong regarding the khorne juggerlord. Though as I read, he should still be eligible for some of the chaos daemon stratagems. Like, I should be able to use the Chaos Daemon deep strike option on a juggerlord, but I'd need a daemon detachment that he wasn't in in order to qualify for the stratagem access. So fickle. 

Also, in proofreading points for Zcaust83, I realised that I've been misremembering my Warpsmiths as being 1pt more base than they actually are. 45pts base, not 46pts. Matters very little.

I hate that Fortifications require their own detachment in this edition. I now have to debate between running a CSM detachment, a LoW detachment, and a Fortification detachment, or if I want a Chaos Daemon detachment in that mix. 

Hmmm...Think I'm using this for the first chapter of the winter warzone league:

Smiling Skulls 2k

World Eaters Spearhead Detachment (+1 CP)

HQ Hellwright (Infernal Axe, Voidcutter, Flamer, Soulburner Pistol) 90+8+15+9+20=142pts

Elites Warp Talons (5, 5 Pairs of Lightning Claws) 75+60=135pts

Elites Decimator (2 C-Beam Cannnons) 90+60=150pts

Heavy Support Hellforged Scorpius (Scorpius Multi-launcher) 175+40=215pts

Subtotal: 1050pts

Chaos Daemons Patrol Detachment (+1 CP)

HQ Bloodthister of Insensate Rage 340pts

Troops Bloodletters (15, Icon, Musician) 105+15+10=130pts

Subtotal: 470pts

Questor Traitoris Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (+0 CP)

Lord of War Renegade "Khorne" Knight (Heavy Stubber, 2 Thermal Cannons) 320+4+152=476pts

Subtotal: 476pts

Total: 1996pts (5 CP)

Now to get painting:

WP_20180113_19_07_27_Pro.thumb.jpg.ee4aa953d106c808b637413c1b391ba6.jpg

Got a game in against Pete. His list was a gunline. It also featured several deep strike denial units and some rather unimpressive assault blood angels. I played really terrible, which was largely related to both playing many units for the first time (or the first time with their detachement) and just general bad luck. He definitely won (though we continued to play for 2 turns after I conceded because he wanted to continue).

Did not help that Pete brought out the largest terrain features he could find and only after much debate, compromised at playing with *only* 50% of the table covered in terrain features. Basically city fight. 

Where to begin.

Forgot to shoot with the Knight, so I really have no clue how his shooting should have worked. He was slain turn 1 having done nothing. He then exploded, dealing like 12 mortal wounds to my units, as well as killing off a weaken unit of scouts that I was using to hide a unit in melee with...Remarkably terrible.

Bloodthirster arrived turn 2 in a concealed position with the 2 CP stratagem and failed his charge. Turn 3, failed his charge again and was left in the open. Died to shooting. I had paid for the Armor of Scorn, which really didn't help at all. In hindsight, I forgot he could re-roll charges due to being part of a daemon detachment, though that may not have mattered due to the way I was rolling all game. 

Bloodletters butchered a 5-man scout squad and then died immediately after due to enemy shooting.

Vindicators were terrible. I just had no line of sight or clear paths to move my vindicators due to playing on a table with 50% terrain. At a certain point I determined the game was impossible, so I charged the vindicators into melee. Fun, but not very effective. 

Decimator shooting was decent, but I didn't have enough of them to be useful. Got butchered in assault because I can't make any save rolls. Lost 8 wounds in one round. 

Warp Talons, another new unit, failed their charge. Again, could have re-rolled due to daemon detachment special rules, but forgot. 

Hellwright wasn't terrible. Wasn't very good either. Kept forgetting is weapons. Don't think he was worth his cost in this game, but game had a lot of iffy thing. 

Only really good unit was the Scorpious, which was very effective at killing light units.

2 more games.

First against TAU at 2k. Opponent deployed so as to have a great turn 1 at short range, but I siezed and khorne butchered them in assault. Opponent conceded at the end of their turn 1, but I  supect they were just tired and could have done better if they had not already played for 5.5 hours prior. I don't regard this as a victory, just a fluke. 

After that game ended, I asked some nearby noobs if they wanted to play a 3-way battle. That was really fun.

Second game, 1.5k 3-way battle against TAU and CSM. No warlord traits or codex stratagems were used because the opponents didn't have those books. They also didn't have the rulebook advanced terrain rules, so we played with just the basic terrain rules from the Free rulebook (which I like better anyway). To make my list 500pts cheaper, I dropped the decimator, scorpious and the warptalons. Since I was pretty sure my list was meaner than either of theirs, I deliberately tried to get them to gang up on and me and divided my fire between opponents. We had a lot of fun, but we didnt' finish due to time (we were all tired). My guess is that I would have been wiped, but only after reducing both players to near nothing...