TO question

von hammer

6 minutes ago, von hammer said:

I’m getting “it’s a legal codex so it should be used” and “it’s illegal for you to not use the most up to date rules”. 

Your responses should range from 'it's my event so I'll do what I want' to 'Please report me to the authorities for my illegal actions'.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, von hammer said:

That’s one thing I totally forgot was the 10am product launch deal. Funny thing is my event starts at 9:30am technically lol. So you’d be right about the legal aspect of a Codex with that alone. 

The issue is you can get a digital copy at midnight. I have my codex on my tablet so making a list is not had to do that morning.

Their is not that many gotcha rules with them letting leaks out before hand.

It's not going to make people unhappy. I personal like getting to play the new army before the person knows all the tricks it can do. It goes both ways.

5 minutes ago, Talonwinter said:

The issue is you can get a digital copy at midnight. I have my codex on my tablet so making a list is not had to do that morning.

Their is not that many gotcha rules with them letting leaks out before hand.

It's not going to make people unhappy. I personal like getting to play the new army before the person knows all the tricks it can do. It goes both ways.

There may not be a lot of gotchas for folks who read all that, but not everyone reads the leaks.

It is not unreasonable to ask that there is a cutoff for codexes. Most events go in the 2 weeks to months range.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2017 at 11:31 AM, von hammer said:

To all the TOs on here... You have event on this Saturday. You have the Eldar Codex dropping this Saturday. Do you allow it to be used? Explain your answers please. 

No way.  

1.  The player playing it will be way slower trying to get his stuff right and all those new strategems straight in his head as to when they have to be declared and so on.  I just experiences this at a tournament on Sunday.  It could screw the opponent out of valuable time they need.  It could allow the inexperienced Eldar player to do things out of order, legitimately on accident but still, its not like his opponent is equipped to help him keep it straight.  So its kind of unfair in that way as well.

2.  People who dont play the army will not have probably purchased the codex or really know what to expect.  People need time to assimilate stuff.  I think its fair to give them that time before facing it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There was a time when game stores had a deal going with GW, where the game stores were required, when running events, that all models had to be at least 75% GW models and you couldn't bring copied codexes. The point being that you had to buy GW stuff to play. If someone has a copied codex that's been around a while, but only released on that day, or later that day it's bad form to say you can't have this or use this if you don't also require GW models to be used.

Nowadays it's usually in the rules of a tournament that you have to bring a copy of the codex to the table but unless it specifically says it has to be an official release copy then you are generally fine just bringing copies of the the relevant pages, for the same reason that very few people care if you are bringing GW models or not.

In this particular instance it would be a very poor sportsman to say, well since I have MY codex I can have all the relics/warlord traits/faction traits and special strategems, but since YOUR codex won't drop for a couple hours I won't allow YOU to have ANY relics/warlord traits/faction traits or strategems even though the store copies have been out for a while now.

It's always been my instant response, since 5E, when I have a better codex than my opponent to immediately drop all the special doo-dads and play my army vanilla to match their's.

• Confused 1

You know, the more I read this thread the more uncomfortable it's making me.

Let me see if I have the scenario correctly. 

Someone is running a tournament coming up this next weekend. They have an Eldar player signed up who may be asking to use the new codex. So, someone, for whatever reason, in lieu of having all the codex rules already written up for the tournament, is asking an opinion now, essentially after the fact, to make advised rules regarding codex usage for the tournament. And, may be or may not be fine with having some players with codexes already to use them, with all the relics/traits/strategems, and/or may or may not be fine with some other players who would or might have them, to have them.

Have I got that right?

So, what about all the players who don't have a codex at all? How is it fair to them?

let me get this straight... so because half or more of the armies out there are using the Indexes ... because GW hasn't gotten to doing all  the 8th ed codex versions yet... NO ONE should be allowed to use new codexes until EVERYONE has a new codex?  is that the logic?

-d

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Torg said:

let me get this straight... so because half or more of the armies out there are using the Indexes ... because GW hasn't gotten to doing all  the 8th ed codex versions yet... NO ONE should be allowed to use new codexes until EVERYONE has a new codex?  is that the logic?

-d

That’s the logic I’m seeing left and right but I don’t get it. As the TO where this happened, a couple weekends ago, it seemed that those “tournament players” haven’t actually played in a tournament since 5th or 6th Edition and weren’t familiar with tournament standards. When you go to an ITC event ANYWHERE they have a “legal Codex cutoff” and the only thing that changes is how long before the tournament, could be a week or a month before the tournament. 

As for copies, I don’t care if you bring copies of a current, released, Codex but don’t bring in a PDF of a Codex that hasn’t been released yet. Both uncool and illegal. 

Now... saying all of that, these rules will only apply when I run an ITC event and that has been discussed with the players that originally had an issue. For all other events it won’t matter if it drops the day of as long as you have it, in hand, before the tournament starts. 

• Like 1

And that seems reasonable to me Von Hammer... I am not sure why this is an issue.  The TO decides... what is what at the event they took the time to put together (gathering terrain / building terrain... promoting the event, finding a location...etc.).  I think that someone whom goes beyond the normal gamer level and is a TO deserves some credit for sticking their necks out.  For making their idea become reality (TO'ing an event isn't always rewarding).

It is up to the players to decide to play in a tourney following the rules set out by a TO.  Otherwise - more power to a player becoming a TO and running the show they want.

-d

• Thanks 1