Adepta Sororitas Battle Reports-8E to 9E codex

Lord Hanaur

23 hours ago, ZeroStride said:

What are you finding your favorite stratagems are?

Before the dark times, I was really a fan of Blind Faith (for my VH exorcists to ignore those pesky flying things and Alpha Legion) and then I've used the "discard 1-3 miracle dice, add 1-3 to a roll" several times also.

I only got to 750 in escalation, but I've been working hard on my "very zealous supporters of the emperor and totally not Khorn-curious" Bloody Rose, so I'm expecting to use Tear Them Down quite a bit. (Ignore the chains and knives and skulls. Those are just enthusiastic implements of a loyal order militant.)

My list for this is Bloody Rose.  Just 7 CP to use in-game.

Tear Them Down has been largely unnecessary and with only 7 useable command points, tough to justify.  Frankly my list is such a load of butchers that they just don't need that much help.

Embodied Prophesy in order to assist the Seraphim etc...  is actually QUITE good.

Holy Rage is used every single game, no question.

Deadly Descent gets used without fail.

Purity of Faith is used frequently but not an automatic must.  But its close.

Suffer Not the Witch is super situational but Celestine has benefited from it on occasion when trying to solo a big dude.

Those are what I pack to use when playing Bloody Rose.  Doesnt leave much room for discretion.  usually allows me 1-2 rerolls or one "interrupt" for the game.

• Like 1

Ah yeah, definitely Deadly Descent I've used each time. Embodied Prophesy also for sure, that's a hell of an aura for 1 CP.

I've been planning 2 Battalions, but part of that was just that when escalation started, I couldn't get what I needed for Bloody Rose. But yeah, just because there are so many good strategems I think I want more CP.

I'm looking at 2 Battalions and maybe a Vanguard (or possibly the Battle Sanctum). VH is good, I also think there's some tricky things that could be done with a Sacred Rose warlord for cycling through miracle dice, ie: I advance, miracle 1, now I get a new miracle dice. I shoot, miracle 2, now I get a new miracle dice. Etc.

On 5/2/2020 at 12:49 PM, ZeroStride said:

Ah yeah, definitely Deadly Descent I've used each time. Embodied Prophesy also for sure, that's a hell of an aura for 1 CP.

I've been planning 2 Battalions, but part of that was just that when escalation started, I couldn't get what I needed for Bloody Rose. But yeah, just because there are so many good strategems I think I want more CP.

I'm looking at 2 Battalions and maybe a Vanguard (or possibly the Battle Sanctum). VH is good, I also think there's some tricky things that could be done with a Sacred Rose warlord for cycling through miracle dice, ie: I advance, miracle 1, now I get a new miracle dice. I shoot, miracle 2, now I get a new miracle dice. Etc.

Well as the thread pretty clearly indicates, I've had incredible success with Valorous heart and the Argent Shroud combination.  I can tell you FOR SURE that people have underestimated having Argent Shroud in the list.

Testign this new list, I have learned some pretty valuable tactical lessons.  In my previous iteration, my motivations for getting into close combat were entirely 100% different than they are now, so it took me a couple games to realize that in this list it is simply hands down better to go second.  Ive also learned that sometimes I am better off just NOT assaulting even when the assault is 2" from me.  Those have been interesting moments in my games to be sure.  Specifically if the enemy has two good assault units and you can charge them both:  dont.  Just bounce and fight later if that's an option.  The reason i that I can (more or less) handle any threat.  but what you dont want is the enemy to interrupt on your super squishy unit with their equally frightening unit, which they totes will.  So I have learned that you only want to assault the number of unis you NEED to.  So a little more finesse than the army build would suggest initially.

I am very very impressed with what the force can do.  I had really never thought I'd see the day when a Sisters army can hang in combat to a decent extent.  Sure they have had access to melee options before but not if you wanted to play pure Sisters.  Even if you were okay with the trade off, your best alternative was Arco-Flagellents who generally always seemed to find a way to surpass the obvious choice.  Now the obvious choice is really obvious and not only that but there is more than one good choice!  whuuuuuut.  further you can build to make OTHER choices into not-so terrible second tier choices.  But no matter how you slice it its a melee army, recognizably so and with its identity firmly established as one  if you build it that way.  It's kinda nice to be able to do what other codex's do:  have a choice in your build.  I mean...No exorcists in my list even after they got gud?  Who would have thought.

It feels like after seven-and-a-half editions of Warhammer 40,000 the design team has finally realized that there is no such thing as a “short-range shooty army.” There is only long-range shooty or mêlée.

Several other armies that were conceptually “short-ranged shooty” armies have been made into mêlée forces (e.g., Adeptus Custodes, White Scars, Death Guard) but it was always the Sisters of Battle that GW seemed most keen on embodying the “short-ranged shooty concept.” Hence the emphasis on flame templates, melta- weapons, and boltguns.

But that design always meant you were operating within 12” (often within 6”) of the enemy... But never did quite enough damage to wipe them out in one go. Which meant that the enemy would respond by assaulting you. If they were a mêlée-focused unit, this was the best move for them since it brought them into their optimal engagement. If they were a shooty unit, this was still their best move, since it brought both of you into a suboptimal environment where neither of you had an advantage.

Sisters now actually seem to be able to play like they were always intended.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ish said:

It feels like after seven-and-a-half editions of Warhammer 40,000 the design team has finally realized that there is no such thing as a “short-range shooty army.” There is only long-range shooty or mêlée.

Several other armies that were conceptually “short-ranged shooty” armies have been made into mêlée forces (e.g., Adeptus Custodes, White Scars, Death Guard) but it was always the Sisters of Battle that GW seemed most keen on embodying the “short-ranged shooty concept.” Hence the emphasis on flame templates, melta- weapons, and boltguns.

But that design always meant you were operating within 12” (often within 6”) of the enemy... But never did quite enough damage to wipe them out in one go. Which meant that the enemy would respond by assaulting you. If they were a mêlée-focused unit, this was the best move for them since it brought them into their optimal engagement. If they were a shooty unit, this was still their best move, since it brought both of you into a suboptimal environment where neither of you had an advantage.

Sisters now actually seem to be able to play like they were always intended.

Yeah I mean i have a shooty version which i have played very well, which is most of these batreps.  Then there is this list which is diametrically the opposite of that.  My shooting phase is quite limited, which feels super weird because i find myself asking the opponent "did i miss any units?  or..."

Here's another fun fact:  The lists are both fun to play.  Like they do different things, they want to be in different positions, they differ on going first, they just are very different...  I mean you play either of these armies and you will feel like its an entirely different world and that the rules against the one dont necessarily apply to the other (from the opponents point of view).

Having a ball.  That's all I'm saying.  Win or lose, really, I feel like I've won with this Codex.  and to think it only took 16 years.  Hehehe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another fight happened today, two actually.  The first was with my T'au Empire tho so i won't bother with that one.

The second was ended after his top of 2.  We were going to do my bottom of 2 but i had collapsed hie left flank and Celestine had engaged a good chunk of his center shooting and was about to engage his primary Hive Guard.  The Zephyrim and Seraphim were yet to come in and once it did, there was little question that because of him using so many walls to hide Hiveguard behind, i would be able to charge and lock down most of his shooting in my turn two.

Dunno why Tyranids are suddenly so popular but I've played against them a fair amount lately.

2020-05-28 (3).png

2020-05-28 (4).png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VonVilkee said:

Digital gaming means no models to paint?

Might be the answer to why do much 'Nid action.

Yeah could be.  Been surprised by how many nids players I've fought.  I'm seeing a bit of a meta list develop over the games.  Some definitely dangerous combos out there for pure nids it seems like.  

On 5/30/2020 at 2:13 AM, Lord Hanaur said:

Gaunt carpet indeed.  did you see the report i did where the guy brought over 270 models?  Christ on a cracker it was bozo the clown nutz.  

I did not see that one. I like the idea of swarming, I just cant get proficient enough at it to play in a timely manner.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
8 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Been busy with the Bloody Rose for a while now.  Very little has changed.  It still performs excellent in the new and evolving meta.

My question is, What kind of an army does one want against DE were one expecting that sort of contest to come up quite soon.

So Sisters vs DE?

DE requires that you screen them out. They tend to have a ton of transports so you have to somehow pop those, and then get the guys inside otherwise they are just leaping off platforms right into you. They wont mind sacrificing 10 wyches to kill your repentia, its a fantastic trade for them or they could have Wracks with Liquifiers to blunt your charge. 

There are a LOT of variation to the DE tool box

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 1:03 AM, Lord Hanaur said:

My question is, What kind of an army does one want against DE were one expecting that sort of contest to come up quite soon.

I'm not familiar with the new sisters book so I can't give you specific advice on what to take, but I can say what to watch out for and what hurts DE.

Things to watch out for:

-Don't try to fight them in CC unless you have reliable ways of making you strike last. Their combat is too efficient. Also, they have always strike first (Cult of Strife obsession), or ways of making you strike last (Drazhar, Incubi, Archon with Ancient Evil WL trait). It's just bad business trying to go round with them.

-Their lances are very good at killing vehicles. So either take a LOT of vehicles and have a plan for killing ravagers and Raiders at long range, or largely avoid vehicles altogether and make those lances waste their power on single wound models.

-If they have large squads of Reavers or Hellions, they're probably hoping to use the Eviscerating Flyby strat on your characters. 2CP to roll 1D6 per member in the squad flying over a unit (or character). Does a mortal wound on 4+ against infantry (5+ against anything else). So 20 hellions average 10 mortal wounds for some very dangerous character sniping in the movement phase.

-Screen your backfield. This is just good business in most competitive games, but do not let Dark Technomancer liquifier guns sneak into your backfield! 12" range, D6 auto-hit, S4 with +1 to wound, AP-2, D2. 60 point wrack squads with 2 of these will shred squads of sisters in their pretty armor. 

Things that are efficient against Deukhari:

-Anything that does mortal wounds. Coven stuff is somewhat resistant with a 5+ FNP but most lists don't feature covens heavily. Usually just squads of wracks. Everything else lost FNP and got invuls, so MWs cut right through.

-Shooting that doesn't require LoS. They are fast and will hug terrain. If you can crack their transports before they get into charge range, you've got a chance.

-High volume damage 2 shooting. Things like meltas aren't great against DE because their vehicles all have 5++ against shooting and the math just isn't great in trading units to pop vehicles. ("WINDSHIELD!!!" 😉) But damage 2 is the sweet spot. Hellions and reavers have 2 wounds, so it drops them efficiently, it makes the 5+ FNP on wracks much worse, and the wounds add up on their vehicles quickly. Lots of heavy bolters!

-Overwatch. Sisters with flamers are gravy for keeping their heavy hitters like Incubi at bay. Just watch out for Cult of Strife wyches. If they have a CoS patrol there's a 1CP strat to cancel overwatch. Also an Archon can cancel it if he charges while within 3" of a Sslyth bodyguard, because shenanigans. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 9:59 AM, Lyraeus said:

So Sisters vs DE?

DE requires that you screen them out. They tend to have a ton of transports so you have to somehow pop those, and then get the guys inside otherwise they are just leaping off platforms right into you. They wont mind sacrificing 10 wyches to kill your repentia, its a fantastic trade for them or they could have Wracks with Liquifiers to blunt your charge. 

There are a LOT of variation to the DE tool box

Dominion are good and affordable speed bumps.  thinking of adding one unit to put RIGHT AT at the enemy movement rate to slow them down.

Basic Outline, modified from the original 8e incarnation because of blast weapons:

2 Canoness (free miracle die and for the Save Buff, re-roll 1's is a given), Palatine re-roll of wounds, Celestine for the 4+ invul buff, Missionary attack buff. 

10 Arco Flagellents:  because forcing 46.5 saves at -1 AP against T4 is in fact good against every single thing.  Transhumans will still take 35 at -1.  Still epic.  That they are two wounds with FnP is also pretty boss.  Glassy but effective.

5 units of 10 Sisters of Battle, all with 3 Meltas in each squad.  15 meltas in all.  Obsec.  8 Bolters per unit, 5 units means a lot of overall dakka to throw as long as Sacred Rites and character buffs hold.  ULTRA tough with the Valorous Heart buffs.  Free Simulacrum Imperialis for the win!  Stratagem will allow them to fall back and shoot so you can shove them forward and let happen what may.

2 Exorcists:  Range and distraction.  It is extremely helpful to have reach on your opponent and it makes the opponent nervous until they are gone.  There are very large scary things in this world that must be taken down to size early, or else bad things happen.

Multimelta Retributors:  hard to beat the firepower.  Well, it's actually impossible.  Throwing 12  +1 dmg 36" range multimelta shots turn 1 is kinda silly and an excellent deterrent.

Imagifier:  because ignoring up to -2 AP is suh good.

Seraphim with Fusion pistols:  Gotta be able to get to the backfield for Scramblers.  Also great for hunting.

Dominion:  Speed Bump deploy shenanigans to stop units from otherwise overrunning you too quickly.  Form them up in a wide bubble and force the enemy to move around or through them round 1.

• Lord Hanaur changed the title to Adepta Sororitas Battle Reports-8E to 9E codex

Took the list to tournament Saturday.

Game 1 was against the Death Watch sporting two high volume of fire Dreadnoughts (13 wounds or something like that), and the usual firepower you come to expect, along with the 4 wound bikers whose name always escapes me led by the Biker Chaplain.

He went first.  I scout moved my Dominion to the left side objective, with some of them in cover, with the Retributors and a Sisters unit behind them.  Death Watch moved both dreads from behind cover and fired a huge salvo into me.  Thanks to ignoring -1 AP and a few of them being in cover I weathered it better than I deserved.  He brought his super tough bikes up the middle and prepared the rest of his units to either cover objectives or move.  He had taken good cover in trees, but it slowed him down and a lot of his range was at 24" so I didn't fare badly overall.  I responded by killing one of the dreads (the 13 wound types) and then CHARGING the other with my Dominion.  It was hilarious, but I wanted to get Line Breaker.  I used Celestine and a Miracle Die to get 18" and then charge in order to complete the Linebreaker.

He responded by charging Celestine and his Dreadnought figured he could kill the Dominion survivors on his own with his Tech Marines help.  He was incorrect, as they weathered it and had one left in the unit...  but morale popped her.  The bikes charged into my sisters who had moved up to an objective.  On my turn I pulled the sisters out and finished the Bikers and my Exorcists turned their attentions to the Biker Chaplain once his bodyguard were dispatched by the Multi-melta Retributors, only the Biker Chaplain laughed off the Exorcist.  That guy was blessed by the emperor, that's for sure.

At this stage my sisters of Battle Squads were surging across and he was so thinned that he had to stop going on the offense as much and went on the defensive to gain objectives and preserve his dwindling strength.  This allowed me to keep on coming and the Seraphim showed up to finish the Dread and the Tech Marine.  My reserves showed up to keep up the Line breaking presence.  It was like getting hit with a hammer while the anvil appeared behind them.  By games end there was really only a few models left.  Victory Adepta Sororitas.  95-38.

GAME 2:

I got to play Darick who brought the Star God led Necron pain.  he used Novokh Dynasty which I honestly couldnt remember any rules for.  Lol.  Hadn't seen it in a while, and I play Necrons.  Illuminor Szeras was awesome in this game, and The Void Dragon was intimidating with his Character killer sniper power.  The Lycheguard with Veil of Darkness figured prominently into the plan as well.

First turn, Necrons moved his stuff forward aggressively, as his big warrior blocks were the 12" deadly variety and it made sense to advance.  The Ghost Ark Transport came up centrally to buff things, while the Canoptek Wraiths slid to my right to take objectives for the Necron Secondary he chose.  There wasn't a lot of shooting in that round, but Szeras and the Overlord made sure any shots they had were deadly.  I faced blocks of 20 warriors that were hitting on 2's most of the game, -2 AP.  Scary.

On my turn my (scouted) dominions shot two of the Wraiths dead and charged.  They would spend the rest of the game duking it out in melee with the third Wraith (hilarity).  The Canoness and Blue Squad ran to the right as well and held the line against the encroaching Warriors and their buffed shooting but Blue Squad was dispatched easily in one go the following turn.  The Canoness would end up wrapping the warrior squad up far longer than they wished but they felt confident they could get her and she proved them wrong, slashing them apart each round for a couple rounds.  She was a true hero, but when she died I was out of CP to ressurrect her, so she died for the cause but held the enemy well enough to buy me time.

I killed the Ark turn one with Exorcist fire, and then they, the Retributors and Sisters of battle deleted a large chunk of the warriors on the left.  Celestine missing her charge on Cryptothralls, which in turn had the Warriors blowing her up.  She failed to come back.  Oops.

Nonetheless, the warriors being destroyed on one flank allowed those Sister units there to hold out.  I used re-rolls and the Moments of Grace Stratagem to keep this lone Dominion Squad member on my left alive.  she sat in a building on an objective on my far left.  She lasted the rest of the game, scoring me mucho points.  My reserves then came in and started scoring me all kinds of line breaker points on the fortunately vanguard deployment.

The score was Adepta Sororitas victory 75-43 before he conceded and like an idiot, I forgot to add the remaining points of MY 4th and 5th round.  Final score would have been 91 points.  Result:  Even though I won the game, not reporting those points would cost me the tournament.  Missed out on 10 Primary points I automatically would have gotten, 3 Linebreaker points and another Thin Their Ranks point.  Really cannot believe I did that.

Third game was against a Chaos army that had a very interesting collection of units.  It almost seemed like the list was meant to simply control the board with lots of small units, instead of trying to overwhelm you with elite stuff.  It had worked to this point obviously.  He had his Lord of Change and his multiple Psykers there to score the Psychic Ritual reliably, he took Deploy Scramblers which he could easily get with lots of units; and took assassinate because he could use powers to do that too.

I am fortunate that we can bounce powers and so I made massive use of the Sororitas resistance to Psyker powers and the Null Rod, plus the rites of Battle they get.  I was able to REALLY shut down a lot of his psychic strategy in this game and I actually CHARGED KHORNE BERZERKERS more than once in order to control his progress.  While I was in no way going to win any of those charges, I was able to hold him beck.  The biggest piece of the puzzle was in round one when I expended essentially my whole army to kill his 30 man shooty Pink daemons.  He had pushed them up the board along with other intimidating things, and I think hoped I would shoot the melee elements.  Sisters dont like mega volume shooting and Celestine needed a clear path to his Psychic Ritual guy to cut that off from being a thing so we focused fire.  Here again my reserves showed up late game to score me points once he was forced to come forward to continue pressure on me.  This left gaps I could exploit behind him to deploy scramblers and to line break (with Seraphim etc...).

final score was 95-23.

I went undefeated and took second place.  I was very pleased at how I did.  Still only missed 1st place by 5 points.  What's done is done. 

I have played a lot of games with the Bloody Rose list and before that had played a lot with this type of list I took this weekend, so falling back to it was not like starting over with a new army.  But I did find the Retributor Squad to be much more effective than before, even though I didn't have the CP to burn very often to buff them.  I started with very few CP because I had to pay for the extra detachment, couple extra relics and the extra warlord trait.  Add to that the reserves and you can imagine how hard the CP life was. 

The Exorcist range is still a big deal, smaller board or not.  I saw Death Watch, Tzeentch Lords and Necrons seriously reconsider their deployments because of that range and the difference in how they felt they needed to deploy was to my advantage in all three cases.

The dominion are obviously a lot more useful when I go first which i never got to do.  Yet even though they weren't AS useful as normal, i got mileage for sure out of them simply because the enemy wanted to come to me.  In the Daemon fight he chugged his Berzerkers way up the field and into some ruins for cover, and my Dominion were able to get there and roast them, which took serious pressure off one flank.  In the fight with the necrons they battled fisticuffs against that Wraith and held that objective round after bloody round.  in the fight against Deathwatch, they bought me time from taking a second volley from those ferocious dreads which gave my forces time to bring the firepower to bear on them.  There was a lot of positive that came from them in every game despite never going first.  The best thing tho was how fun it was to charge stuff with these Melta Dominion.  The look on an opponents face when you say you're going to do that?  Priceless!  I burned 2 Miracle Dice to make one of those charges.  Lol.

I had tons of fun.  Probably will play more games this way.  List follows:

best%20coast%20pete%20gradiants.svgFormat inspected: @2021-04-25T06:12:29+00:00best%20coast%20pete%20gradiants.svg

Damocles Gulf Conflict Invitational

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adepta Sororitas) [88 PL, 1,692pts, 10CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Detachment Command Cost

Gametype: Matched

Order Convictions: Order: Valorous Heart

+ Stratagems +

Open the Reliquaries [-1CP]: Additional Relics of the Ecclesiarchy

+ HQ +

Canoness [3 PL, 50pts, -1CP]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Heroine in the Making, Null Rod, Relic: Litanies of Faith, Warlord Trait: 4. Beacon of Faith

Canoness [3 PL, 65pts]: Blessed Blade, Inferno pistol, Relic: Blade of Admonition, Warlord, Warlord Trait: 5. Indomitable Belief

Palatine [3 PL, 50pts]: Plasma pistol, Rosarius

+ Troops +

Battle Sister Squad [7 PL, 134pts]: Incensor Cherub
. 5x Battle Sister: 5x Bolt pistol, 5x Boltgun, 5x Frag & Krak grenades
. Battle Sister w/ Simulacrum
. Battle Sister w/ Special or Heavy Weapon: Meltagun
. Battle Sister w/ Special Weapon: Meltagun
. Sister Superior: Bolt pistol, Combi-melta

+ Elites +

Imagifier [3 PL, 45pts]: Tale of the Stoic

+ Fast Attack +

Dominion Squad [8 PL, 127pts]: Incensor Cherub
. Dominion Superior: Bolt pistol, Combi-melta
. Dominion w/ Simulacrum
. Dominion w/ Special Weapon: Meltagun

Dominion Squad [8 PL, 127pts]: Incensor Cherub
. Dominion Superior: Bolt pistol, Combi-melta
. Dominion w/ Simulacrum

Seraphim Squad [4 PL, 100pts]
. 2x Seraphim: 4x Bolt pistol, 2x Frag & Krak grenades
. Seraphim Superior: Chainsword, Plasma pistol
. Seraphim w/ Special Weapons: 2x Inferno Pistols
. Seraphim w/ Special Weapons: 2x Inferno Pistols

+ Heavy Support +

Exorcist [9 PL, 195pts]: Exorcist Missile Launcher

Exorcist [9 PL, 195pts]: Exorcist Missile Launcher

Retributor Squad [10 PL, 202pts]: 2x Armourium Cherub
. 2x Retributor: 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Boltgun, 2x Frag & Krak grenades
. Retributor Superior: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
. Retributor w/ Heavy Weapon: Multi-melta
. Retributor w/ Simulacrum

++ Patrol Detachment -2CP (Imperium - Adepta Sororitas) [15 PL, 304pts, -3CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost [-2CP]

Order Convictions: Order: Valorous Heart

+ Stratagems +

Open the Reliquaries [-1CP]: Additional Relics of the Ecclesiarchy

+ HQ +

Celestine [8 PL, 170pts]

+ Troops +

++ Total: [103 PL, 1,996pts, 7CP] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Uploaded with BCP_logo.pngDamocles Gulf Conflict Invitational @2021-04-25T06:12:29+00:00

• Like 1