Oathmark - General Discussion

Ish

Here’s what I’m thinking. Let me know if this works for ya’ll

• 2,500 Points Standard (may play larger or smaller if both opponents agree)

• Six Weeks (Week of October 4th – Week of November 8th)

Core Rulebook: everything  

Battlesworn: yes legendary units, yes engineers, yes new spells; no boats, no military expeditions 

Oathbreakers: undead faction, legendary heroes, new spells; no military expeditions 

Bane of Kings: yes to events, yes new units, yes special formations; no military expeditions

Halflings: yes 

• 3 weeks later...

FYI: I was totally correct about the retreating movements from allies forced backwards. Would have made a HUGE difference in allowing that mission to be accomplishable. My flank charge turn 7 should have forced the Dwarf units 6" to their rear!

From the FAQ pg 3: Q: When moving units to make room for others (e.g. when another unit is moving to combat and needs room) does “backwards” mean backwards in regard to their own position or the position of the active unit? Can a unit be moved multiple times like this? It can take it noticeably away from its original position.
A: Backwards is always determined from the unit being moved. So straight to that unit’s rear.

Huh… On the one hand, it’s refreshingly straightforward that “backwards means backwards.”

On the other hand, decades of playing WHFB and other games have gotten me so used to doing a complicated geometry maths homework exercise every time something like this occurred that it actually feels less intuitive to do things the easy way.

It must be a weird variety of Stockholm Syndrome. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

all units are based on 25mm right?

All units are based on something that’s a multiple of 25:

• 25 x 25mm: Units mounted on this size of base can consist of 1–20 figures. The figures must be organized into rows (ranks) of five, with any leftover figures forming the back rank. A full unit of 20 would be a block with four ranks of five figures each. A unit of 13 would be two ranks of five, with one rank of three at the back.
• 25 x 50mm: Cavalry generally use this base size. Units mounted on this size of base can consist of 1–10 figures. Again, the figures must be organized into ranks of five, with any leftover figures forming the back rank. The maximum number of figures in a unit of this size is two ranks of five figures each.
• 50 x 50mm: Larger creatures, such as trolls, generally use this base size. Units mounted on this size of base can contain 1–3 figures and must be organized into one rank.
• 50 x 100mm: Only the largest of monsters, such as dragons, use this base size. Such figures tend to fight as units-of-one.
• Mixed: A few units, such as artillery, may contain figures with different base sizes. In such cases, the unit has specific rules for arranging the figures.

But, for the most part, the actual base size of the individual figures isn’t nearly as important as the frontage of the overall unit. So if you’ve got a bunch of old WHFB models on 20 x 20 mm squares, Saga figs on 25 mm round, or whatever, just put ‘em on movement trays! 

• Thanks 1

One rule I think we played wrong tonight. Revisiting the rulebook, it looks like units get to roll the Champion Die even when they're attacked to the flank or the rear. It seems to not matter that the champion is in the center of the front rank.

Also, apparently you can't shield if you are down to only one combat die.

• Thanks 1

So, I at the last game night we were talking about the possibility of an all-mounted knightly army. I poked around Fireforge Games’ website and came up with the following 2,000 Point army for under $100.

This list uses one box of Templar Knights and two boxes of Teutonic Knights; the Teutonic Knights come twelve to a box and all their horses have barding; the Templar Knights also come twelve to a box, but with a 6/6 mix of barded and unbarded horses.

Use the barded mounts for Heavy Cavalry and the Human Prince (give him a nice hat); use five of the unbarded mounts for the Cavalry; and the final guy takes the sixth unbarded horse and is converted to hold a holy symbol in one hand and a morningstar in the other, he’s your battle cleric.

Deus vult! 

++ Army Roster [1,980 Points] ++

+ Characters +

Human Prince [175 Points] (Mounted)

Mounted Human Spellcaster [130 Points]: (Level 2, Mounted, Sunblind, Shift)

+ Units +

• Human Cavalry [225 Points]: 5x Figures

• Human Heavy Cavalry [450 Points]: 9x Figures

• Human Heavy Cavalry [500 Points]: 10x Figures

• Human Heavy Cavalry [500 Points]: 10x Figures

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2021 at 10:00 AM, Tao Tsê-Mung said:

Heya, haven’t seen most of you at game nights in a while. I know some folks’ schedules have changed. Are we still going to have enough interested for an Oathmark campaign this Nov/holiday season?

I don't know about being in a campaign but I hope to be at game nights more in November. October's been a wreck for gaming time.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
16 minutes ago, Tao Tsê-Mung said:

ANY OATHMARK PLAYERS SURVIVE THIS PLAGUE OF MADNESS !?!

Seriously, I'd like to get some games in, anyone still interested in a campaign ?!?

A discord was just started and things maybe starting to get going again. I'd like to try this a few more times at club house but my availability is a mess right now and Sat and Sun mornings are prob my best open days right now.