Oathmark - General Discussion

Ish

I have my army made and base coated. The orc contingent finally got completed this weekend! Which I’m stoked about. Got one more ogre and some heavy cav in the mail right now to mostly complete my army options.

im down to play as well, I’m in mcminville so can do that game stir in salem, the WOW headquarters or maybe guardian games if they have tables set up again. Weekends would be great and I can pull of some after work gaming too if we want to do the WOW nights

Games Workshop’s Lord of the Rings Warriors of the Dead set has fourteen zombie-ghost warriors with hand weapons and shield and six with spears for about $40.

Warlord Games’ Warlords of Erehwon Children of the Hydra’s Teeth set has ninety (90!) skeletons and up to half of which can be given either bows, spears, or hand weapons. It also includes a special pewter Necromancer. For about $80.

So, if you snag two of the Warriors of the Dead sets you could easily make the sword-n-board guys into Revenant Warriors and count the spearmen (spearghosts?) as Revenant Linebreakers. With just a little bit of clipping, snipping, and converting you can turn two of the Spearghosts into Revenant Champions.

Take the Children of the Hydra’s Teeth set and build them into forty sword-n-shield guys, thirty archers, and twenty spearmen.

Revenant Warriors (14x) 238 Points

Revenant Champion (1x) 52 Points

Revenant Warriors (14x) 238 Points

Revenant Champion (1x) 52 Points

Revenant Linebreakers (10x) 200 Points

Skeletal Soldiers (x20) 220 Points

Skeletal Soldiers (x20) 220 Points

Skeletal Spearmen (x20) 240 Points

Skeletal Archers (x10) 140 Points

Necromancer (Level 2) (x1) 100 Points

TOTAL: 1,980 Points 

Pretty solid undead horde for under $200. Easily expanded into an even larger horde just by buying additional copies of these kits. Alternatively, adding Revenant Cavalry would be pretty easy and pretty cheap by using GW Rohirim and a few spare bitz…

• Like 1

Activated and Disordered seem like the tokens that would be most useful to have. I’ve been debating about using simple text tokens, making some sort of miniature model, or just using glass “gaming gems.”

It might also be helpful to have tokens of some sort to represent any ongoing spell effects or special formations you plan on using…

21 minutes ago, Tao Tsê-Mung said:

Well, Thursdays then, 1000-1500pts should be doable in a few hours even while learning.

You don’t have your army back from the painter yet anyway though right?

Sounded like @offroadfuryor @Nick! might be ready for a game.

My dwarves are in the home-stretch now. They sent me a few quick snapshots, seen here, and should be sending me more detailed photos for final approval sometime in the coming week. If all goes well, I should have these guys back by the end of the month.

15 minutes ago, offroadfury said:

Yeah I can do thursday! I think a thousand points, should be a good army to learn with.

I’ll be coming up from the Dundee area so need to see how long it takes to get to the spot, but I did sign up in the game night thread!

Great! 1000 points sounds good - you’ll see fewer reaper bones kickstarter minis on my side of the table this way too 😉

• Haha 1

Quick question regarding rules,

can you double move into combat?

if you have a character in a unit either command special rule, you can activate their unit then on that’s same turn be able to activate a second? Am I interpreting that correctly?

Has osprey games released an FAQ for Oathmark?

Have you guys found any good rule references?

cheers!

25 minutes ago, offroadfury said:

Quick question regarding rules, can you double move into combat?

Yes; With the caveats that "[i]f you choose to use both of a unit’s actions to move, its second move action is at half its Move stat (round down)" (p. 25) and "[a] unit may only move into combat by moving forward, not backwards
or to either side." (p. 26). 

So it is possible for a unit of, say, Human Spearmen (M 6) to engage with an enemy unit that is 9" in front of them. Activate, use the first action to Move 6" and the second action to Move 3".

No random charge distances! 

It is also important to remember that "[a] unit may not make a manoeuvre that causes it to move into contact with
an enemy unit." (p. 28) So no pivoting, wheeling, or about face-ing in order to get into combat.

if you have a character in a unit either command special rule, you can activate their unit then on that’s same turn be able to activate a second? Am I interpreting that correctly?

"A unit containing a figure with the special ability Command allows its player to roll 3 dice for activation rolls and morale tests – for that unit and for any unit within 6” of that unit. Additionally, if the unit containing the figure with Command activates, the player can attempt to activate X additional units at the same time." (p. 167, emphasis added)

So, a Dwarf Prince has Command (2) and is standing in a unit of Dwarf Linebreakers and near a unit of Dwarf Warriors. When rolling to activate the Dwarf Prince, up to two additional unit may be activated at the same time, like the Linebreakers and the Warriors. But, remember, once a unit has been activated during a turn it may not be activated again until the following turn. 

Command (X) figures are very good at keeping a section of your battle line activating consistently and reliably, but they won't let you turn any unit into a multi-attacking deathstar.

Has osprey games released an FAQ for Oathmark?

Have you guys found any good rule references?

Not yet. There's an unofficial FAQ and Errata Thread over on the Lead Adventure Forum, which seems pretty thorough though.

Oathmark's author, Joseph A. McCullough, maintains a blog called The Renaissance Troll where he seems pretty cordial and open to answering polite questions. 

There's an official Oathmark Facebook group, which is a pretty active community that is mostly people sharing photographs of their models and answering really basic questions ("Do I really need to rebase all my 25 mm round LotR models!?") but is also a good place to turn to for more complicated questions. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, offroadfury said:

Thanks! The command ability seems pretty awesome. I like that you can keep your battle lines together. The YouTube battle report series I watched didn’t seem to use that rule, but I think it’s pretty essential for the armies

I think “essential” is over-selling it, but certainly an important force multiplier.

Orcs, Goblins, and maybe Humans will benefit from it the most, I should think, as Dwarves and Elves both have very reliable Activations... But, I’m just theorizing.