Oathmark - General Discussion

Ish

1 hour ago, offroadfury said:

Have any of you guys seen the miniatures for the Song of Ice and Fire game? How is their scale? The price and level of detail look too good to be true!

Unfortunately, I’ve never seen them “in the flesh” as it were. They look really nice on the boxes and on the website… But I’ve never seen one for real and don’t know anyone who’s bought them.

I’ve been tempted to pick up a box of Night’s Watch, figuring they’d be decent for Frostgrave or D&D if nothing else. I just haven’t done it. Yet.

5 hours ago, offroadfury said:

Have any of you guys seen the miniatures for the Song of Ice and Fire game? How is their scale? The price and level of detail look too good to be true!

They are kind of a weird scale-35mm-ish.  Definitely bigger than 28mm.

How do you want the Orcs to look?

A lot of manufacturers have adopted that GW-esque “lantern jaw and fanged maw” look, which might not mesh well with the WETA style “zombie rat elf” aesthetic used in the Peter Jackson films.

• Like 1

The now defunct Wargames Factory had a lot of multipart plastic Orcs, now produced by Warlord Games, which I’ve always thought were pretty nice. Far less “gorilla” than GW’s Warhammer design and yet still a bit more ugly and brutal than the LotR ones.

Scalewise, they’re a bit bigger than most of GW’s LotR models. About the same height as a typical plastic Cadian Guardsman, but a bit more wiry. 

The torsos have a crude armor that could paint up equally well as leathery hide or a crude coat of plates. Replace the included shields with something heavier (like some hoplon shields nicked from any one of a thousand historicals range [or 3D printed]) and you’d have some very nice elite heavy infantry. 

Yeah I’m not going for the GW massive jaw orc. But those Warlord ones don’t look too bad. 

I was looking at some historical and I could probably get away with throwing some of their heads on some Danesmen with axes or something.

but I have enough painting on my plate I can be patient searching for the right unit!

The thing you might want to know about the Warlords of Erwehon orcs is that they are noticeably smaller than oathmark goblins, or even the humans. Personally I’d like them for goblins or hobgoblins but they might appear underwhelming for orcs next to Oathmark/Frostgrave/GW figs. They are more in line with LOTR orcs though if you go that route.

The lore behind the game of Oathmark: Battles of the Lost Age revolves around Oathmarks. These are physical representations of sacred oaths and may be erected to commemorate modern statements of loyalty or be ancient monuments of allegiances long past. An oathmark is a physical representation of an individual or a group’s (a kingdom/nation/town etc.) loyalty to a specific leader or faction. This may take the form of a statue, standing stone, runic marker, flag, or any other display of allegiance that can be thought of. 

When an oathmark is required on the board, its base should be no larger than 6” x 6”. The Oathmark scenario calls for three such monuments on the table: one oathmark in the exact center of the table and then one 12” away from each corner of the defending player’s table edge, for a total of three. 

My Kingdom of the Black Mountains is centered around an ancient Dwarf kingdom, now led by the young (for a dwarf!) King Järnskägg. The ancient High Kings of the Black Mountains once swore oaths of allegiance to neighboring kingdoms of Men and Elves. But the perfidious elves and the deceitful Men have forsworn the old oaths. Now young King Järnskägg has rallied the clans and sounded the horns of war...

Nestled in the rocky foothills that surround the Black Mountains, on the one safe pass into the deeper mountains, stands the proud city of Järngrind, the Iron Gate. The Men who live there still honor the old oaths of loyalty to the Black Mountains and haven't forgotten the old ways... For on the windswept plains south of the city can be found one of the few remaining Kråkpelare. Once these pillars stood tall and proud throughout the north. Messages from High Kings and great sages passing, magically, between them carried on gleaming light in their great gemstone eyes.

But, today, most of the pillars have fallen, their magical gems stolen by unknown thieves, choked by weeds and brambles... 

Here's a WIP shot of the first of my three oathmarks. Once the glue has completely dried on the flock, I'm going to add some grass tufts to really enhance the overgrown and abandoned look of it. I've got the first of my two secondary oathmarks on the printer right now... Hopefully I will have all three completed in another week or so.

81D2CCD6-0CD3-46C0-90AB-F10410E67808.thumb.jpeg.1fc142b21fa028f18c40465316fcab62.jpeg

Front view. Note the empty eye socket where some dastardly Elf or good for nothing Goblin has nicked the magical gem.

F52B6CEC-1E9E-4EEA-A4A7-EECA0871B8F5.thumb.jpeg.1effdab0b7489c86e3c8c7cda223d086.jpeg

Rear 3/4 view. The stones of the earth (the only real ally any Dwarf can depend on) won’t let the sacred pillar collapse. 

• Like 3

The first of my two secondary oathmarks is now done and the third is just waiting for the flocking to dry. Both a largely the same design, although I incorporated a bit of ruined pillar into the third one.

I wanted the secondary oathmarks to be large enough for gameplay and visually distinct to be easily seen on the battlefield, but without being too distracting. So I went for a mostly flat design, which most miniatures should be able to stand on… But the bright white should “pop” from most green grass battlemats.

I’ve also finished printing all of the tiles for my kingdom’s ten starting territories and only have a couple left to paint. 

A8604A3D-06B9-4FC3-8D0F-EFEC79376A42.jpeg

The first one is on it’s (mostly upright) pillar and should make a cool centerpiece for my dwarves to rally ‘round. But the Oathmark scenario for Oathmark calls for three oathmarks on the table at once and I didn’t want all three oathmarks to distract us too much from playing Oathmark.

That was really fun to type.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

So... I get the sense that those dishonorable Men and deceitful Orcs that make up the Kingdom of Nicomedia are supposed to have kind of a Italo-Roman vibe to them, right? Well, I started playing around with more mash-ups of the Hexton Hills tiles and various other 3D models. Here's the first set (they should be popping off my printer in about 15 hours):

Nicomedia01.png.e18876c701696861788c596311457b92.png

Bottom row, left: Human Capital City. I replaced the default tower, which has a very medieval Christian church aesthetic with a Grecian pillared style temple or civic building. So Duke Frederick Alonzo de Constance-Lumishie has a place to hold important orgies civic meetings.  

Top row, left: Plains. Nothing much to see here. 

Top and Bottom row, right: Smithies. I plopped a Roman-style manor house into the middle of one of the quarry sets, so that Duke F.A.d.C-L's favorite smiths could live and work in comfort while they oversaw the slaves unpaid interns.

• Thanks 1

@offroadfury I should have all ten tiles for Nicomedia done by the end of the weekend. They ain't gonna win any awards for painting (or even for decent print quality) but they will be done. 

@Nick!Any particular aesthetics for the Kingdom of Verca Roime that you would like me to lean into (or steer away from)? Right now I'm kind of thinking just a sort of general Tolkien-esque Elf-iness. Lots of thin spires and pointy roofs, that sort of thing. But if you had something else in mind, I'd be happy to see what I can come up with. 

So who might be interested in giving out a demo to an interested party who is fully vaccinated? I'm looking for a new drug, as 40k and Infinity are kinda burning me out at the moment, and I'm drawn to the rank-n-flank thing, but I watched a few videos for T9A and they made my head spin. This sounds like a lot of fun. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Rock said:

So who might be interested in giving out a demo to an interested party who is fully vaccinated? I'm looking for a new drug, as 40k and Infinity are kinda burning me out at the moment, and I'm drawn to the rank-n-flank thing, but I watched a few videos for T9A and they made my head spin. This sounds like a lot of fun. 

I’m going to be out of state for the next couple weeks, but if you’re available the later half of July, I’d be happy to.

Full disclosure, I haven’t actually played this game yet. My copy of the rulebook arrived just as the world was going into lockdown for “two weeks to flatten the curve!” 🤦

I’ve read the rules, but for me playing a game is always a better teacher than reading it.

And with that, the Kingdom of the Black Mountains is complete! 

326EEE62-22BB-4BB2-87A1-92CB22E40DA6.thumb.jpeg.93628835b68167fd49dab5e7fcd35e77.jpeg

To the far south, the windswept Plains bordered by the western High Fells and the eastern Rocky Mountains.

Standing proud, north of the plains is Järngrind, the Human City. The impossing Snow-Capped Mountains on its western side and nestled in the eastern hills, one of the kingdom’s great Forges.

To the far north, a Lumber Yard and another Forge churn with industry as the kingdom prepares for war, whilst hidden in foothills wise sages prepare for war-councils in their Hermitage.

In the heart of the kingdom, standing above all the lesser peaks is the great Dwarf Capital City of the Black Mountain.

Baruk Khazâd! Khazûd Gazaz Bulnd!

• Like 2

Love the prints but we need some washes and/or weathering on those oathmarks. Looks like they were quarried just yesterday. Maybe some metallics to line the runes?

Happy to help out out painting but I can’t make Tuesday nights.

Or maybe I need to find my own oathmarks to replace yours when they happen to topple and get buried beneath my hog styes.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ish said:

@offroadfury I should have all ten tiles for Nicomedia done by the end of the weekend. They ain't gonna win any awards for painting (or even for decent print quality) but they will be done. 

@Nick!Any particular aesthetics for the Kingdom of Verca Roime that you would like me to lean into (or steer away from)? Right now I'm kind of thinking just a sort of general Tolkien-esque Elf-iness. Lots of thin spires and pointy roofs, that sort of thing. But if you had something else in mind, I'd be happy to see what I can come up with. 

If you could do wood-elf specific, that would be great.  Barring that, general Tolkien elf works as well.