Oathmark - General Discussion

Ish

5 hours ago, offroadfury said:

Hey real quick question while I’m at work and don’t have my book;

what’s the base size for monsters like ogres and trolls? 50x50 mm

thanks! 

Everything in the game has a base that is a power of 5: 25 x 25, 25 x 50, 50 x 50, 50 x 100… 

But I wouldn’t worry about it too much. The important thing is the total footprint of the unit as a whole, which can be adjusted easily enough by plopping the models on a movement tray.

Found another company selling some really nice looking, non-cartoony Orcs and other fantasy models. Very obviously inspired by the Peter Jackson films, but that’s fine by me.

I haven’t seen these “in the flesh,” but thought I’d share anyway.

• Thanks 1

Price for those arnt too bad either, 52 bucks for a unit of 15 with full command. Afraid fo check the shipping though! Hahah

also I wanted to give a big recommendation to Shogun Miniatures for the metal bases he makes, mince just came in today and they look great. Robert was friendly and fast with the whole process. 

• Like 1

Finally got most of my army put together! Missing wolves, orc line breaker and heavy cav. But if anyone is interested in practicing, I’m down for some games next week!

I’m thinking of using the Easterling Kataphracts from GW, but again the fire forge game ones look pretty nice.

also whats your guys take on magic? Do you plan on going magic heavy?

My take on magic is that, overall, it’s a useful force multiplier but not a must-have element of the army; Which is quite unlike WHFB/AoS/KoW/T9A where failure to include one or more Wizards in your army is suicide.

Oathmark’s rules for Undead make a Necromancer (probably two) a must have for players that plan to make Undead the core of their kingdom, but that’s the exception to the general trend.

I plan on running a Dwarf Wizard in my army in larger games, but I don’t feel like I’m being “forced” to do it by the game mechanics. 

• Like 1

I like big blocks of infantry (ya’ll saw my planned list earlier) but I think Oathmark will also reward players that want to field big blocks of heavy cavalry, small units of fast cavalry, and/or small units of light infantry… There seems to be plenty of room for options there.

Whag Oathmark doesn’t seem to have is “HeroHammer” where a powerful character loaded up with cool loot can decimate whole swathes of the enemy army nor “Death Stars” where one powerful unit of super-troops does the same. Princes, Generals, and Champions are better fighters than average rankers, but not to a really big degree. Likewise, Linebreakers or Heavy Cavalry are better than mere Soldiers or Militia… But not too much.

Dwarves, of course, are superior to everyone. But that just cannot be helped.

Okay, I'm want to try to get the rest of map that I'm making finished by the end of July.

I've got my initial ten tiles done and painted. Huzzah.

I've designed and started printing some of the "blank" tiles that will form the edge of the map.

I've printed ten tiles for @offroadfury and @Nick! (do you guys want to paint them or do you want me to?)

I've got a rough idea of how I want to do tiles for @Tao Tsê-Mungbut need to know what territories you want...

In the past, @Rijel@Raulumand @Damunkyhave all expressed interest in the game. You guys want to throw together a kingdom? I'd be happy to design and print something for you. 

Still don’t have the vast majority of my original idea’s minis - was supposed to be in stock over a week ago but didn’t they receive the correct kits - being told by more than one company that Brexit and lack of US participation in UPU continues to jack up prices and reduce reliability of international shipments. Two producers have announced they have to increase prices in the next few weeks as well.

Thank god we sent all production overseas so billionaires and corporations can pay zero taxes . . . 

Edited by Tao Tsê-Mung

My copy of Bane of Kings isn’t due for delivery until the end of the month. Having read various reviews and summaries of the book, my opinion is that we should probably not use the expanded campaign rules and timeline events at first… But we’re probably okay with allowing the new units and special formations.

My gut is telling me that Oathmark will really shine when played as a full campaign. But I think we should probably get a month or two of basic “Student Driver” games played before we jump in…

…says the guy who’s spent hundreds of dollars just to make a 3D printed campaign map.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ish said:

My gut is telling me that Oathmark will really shine when played as a full campaign. But I think we should probably get a month or two of basic “Student Driver” games played before we jump in…

Oh yeah, I was posting that back in May which is why I wasn’t concerned about having all my kingdom tiles chosen anytime soon - everyone’s likely to make some changes and you acquire the 5th region territories in the campaign - those slots can’t be filled initially.