Space Wolf Rumors (from Storm Claw)

pretre

Seems like you're having some stress over this codex release, I get that way too when a codex I have an investment in comes up for an update.

I'm stressed? Negatory.

I'm ecstatic about an update for SW though. SW were my first army and I've been playing them for 15 years. :)

• Like 2

That's because Stormraven is more generalist than specific. The stormraven is a better transport than the Stormfang gunship and a better gunship than the Stormwolf.

Regarding a Storm Wolf vs Storm Raven comparison, since the Wolf has a higher transport capacity than a Raven in addition to having a slightly higher number of weapons it appears that the Wolf is better able to perform transport duty. It's a bit arguable though since Ravens do have access to an Assault Cannon/plasma cannons, missile launcher system/hvy bolters (via weapon swapping) AND one shot missile. On paper, the wolf is still  +1 TL melta/Heavy Bolter and TL focused hellfrost cannon shots above a similarly configured storm raven. In my opinion, I'd hesitate to say Ravens are a better transport though. What isn't known is if the Wolf can transport JP models though.

I'll conceed that Ravens are better gunships on paper vs. Fangs though. Discounting the Destructor, Fangs end up paying more to upgrade to lascannons and swapping the TL heavy bolters for multi-meltas. Versus Air targets, the Raven will probably win out since it has assault cannons. Versus land targets, I'm tempted to go with the Fangs ability to drop ap3 pie plates on people's heads. Though loading the ship up with two 60" str 7 missiles, I'm almost of a mind to say it's better.

Okay, let's break this down:

SR
12 Models and Dread
TL - Assault Cannon (can be TL Las or TL PC for free)
TL HB (can be MM for free or Typhoon)
4 Missiles
can pay for Hurricane Bolters

Transport Version
16 Models
TL Lascannon
TL Hell Frost (lesser version)
TL HB (can be Skyhammer for free or MM)
So... This version has more transport (although no dread) but has the Hellfrost instead of the missiles, and cannot add hurricane. So arguably these are much more equivalent to each other.

Shooty Version
6 Models
Hell Destructor (Lance and large blast)
2 Storm Strike Missiles (Upgrade to TL Lascannon)
2 TL HB (Upgrade to Skyhammer for free or TL MM)
This version has much less transport but better (but less) guns

TLDR: SR actually carries almost as much as the transport (depending on how you value the dread) and has more guns (although value of those guns is difficult at this point.) The SR has more transport but less valuable guns than the gunship.

Fair enough, so modifying...

TLDR:

SR carries 4 less than the transport (not counting the dread) and has more guns

The SR has more transport but less valuable guns than the gunship.

So, basically my original point that I made. :)

Oh and the SR is 10-15 points cheaper than either wolf variant and has much better gun arcs.