Machines that Kill II: Kill You Harder (Starts on Pg.4)

WestRider

I'm going to try to chronicle the production on my OFCC list here, see if that helps me stay motivated and productive a bit better than usual.

Modeling is almost done. The Land Raider still needs its Dozer Blade and Destroyer Blades, two of the MaulerFiends and some of the Spawn need some putty work, and 10 of the Khorne Dogs still need mechy bits, and then they all need a little bit of gap-filling and touch up with green stuff. Then an hour or so spent drilling holes for the pins on the Wound/Hull Point markers, since almost everything in this list has multiple Wounds.

After that, it's a mass of gluing sand on bases and priming, and then we get down to the real grind of painting it all.

Anyhow, here's most of what's going on:

- Warpsmith first, since more pics of him were requested after my teaser pic. The basic Marine is mostly Berzerker parts, then MaulerFiend Lasher Tendrils for the Mecha-Tendrils. Axe is from some Chaos Warrior, Combi-Melta is put together from a bolter and a Centurion Meltagun, since I wanted him to have a ludicrously large gun.

WarpsmithFront_zps285132f1.jpg

WarpsmithRight_zps1faabb79.jpg

WarpsmithBack_zpsc1b9ac1e.jpg

WarpsmithLeft_zpsff75414a.jpg

He's kind of a pain to use on the table, I actually have to have dudes from his Squad inside the Tendrils to keep him in coherency. To fit all of him on a base would take one of the Oval bases that the Fiends are on. On the other hand, I can stick him in basically any kind of spot that would normally result in a model tipping or falling, and he does fine :)

Next up, the Hellbrute Mayhem Pack. Two DV and an AoBR Dread, cut up and smashed together, with a few other bits thrown on:

BrutesFront_zps224cdb3c.jpg

BrutesSide_zps60218bf1.jpg

These guys need some GS work, too, but basically just covering up the gaps.

My Flash Hounds are made from Vampire Counts Dire Wolves, with various cyber bits added. I'm waiting for a bits order with more of the cyberwolf bits from the TWC kit to arrive to do the rest. The ones with engines on the side have bits from the Stormclaw Killa Kanz.

Hounds_zpsef1f6093.jpg

The MaulerFiends. The guys who got me started on this whole deal. I've been working on these guys on and off (mostly off, to be honest, there have been some major periods of frustration and sticking them in the back of the shelf) since last OFCC. Two MaulerFiend kits slammed together with a Fantasy WoC Slaughterbrute, way too much plastic cement, and some greenstuff where I couldn't get even that to cover:

FiendsFront_zpse4d328a6.jpg

FiendsRight_zpsd04bc0ff.jpg

FiendsLeft_zpsf906a59e.jpg

Last, but definitely not least, we have the Chaos Spawn. I built most of these guys over the past week or so to replace the Rat Ogres I've been using as Spawn so far. From left to right, we have Slither, Buzz, Leaper-Lasher, Brother Zebediah, and Mr. Chompy.

Spawn_zps249251ba.jpg

As is only right for Chaos Spawn, parts for them came from all over the place. Once I finish his greenstuff work, I'm definitely gonna get some closeups of Zeb, since he's one of the most involved conversions I've ever done. Well, for conversions that fit on a 40mm base, at least. The Maulerfiends and my Flyrant probably outclass him there.

That's it so far, hopefully more to come soon.

• Like 3

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Great stuff. Love the maulerfiends more organic but stil mechanical.

I hope doc oc survives the weekend, it looks like a lot of pinned small contact points.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I kind of wanted to play up the bio-mechanical angle, and everything else sort of fell into place from there.

Doc actually doesn't even have a single pin, and is sturdier than you might think. Plastic cement is amazing stuff. If he were metal, or even resin, I'm sure he'd be losing bits all over the place, but as it stands, I'm fairly confident he'll survive the weekend.

I'm probably going to have to take the bus or train down to the OFCC, so my display board is just going to be flat, to save room and prevent damage. If I had the ability to do something more complicated, tho, I'd totally have him up above everyone else, supported by the tendrils on some crags or something.

I had considered that, and I may do another that way at some point, but yeah, I really wanted to do the Doc Ock thing (yes, I know he actually has 12 limbs with all the tendrils, so the "ock" bit doesn't fit, but the basic idea is the same).

I was actually considering not putting anything on the base at all, and just using a bit of brass rod painted black to connect him to it, but once I got it together, he looked kind of like he was kicking off something, so I stuck in the broken track.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite getting distracted by Space Wolves, progress has been made. Nothing photo-worthy, just filling in gaps and touching up little details, but almost all of it is ready to prime. I've got four more puppies needing cyber-bits, one more round of green-stuffing on a MaulerFiend and Helbrute, and a bit more work on the Detroyer Blades/Dozer Blade on the Land Raider, plus covering up the Aquilas on the tracks. I actually primed the first few Models this evening, should have at least some basecoated paint jobs worth posting sometime next week.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Argh! I was too heavy-handed with the matte varnish, and now they look sort of frosty. Anyone know how to fix that?

EDIT: OK, calmed down, did some googling, looks like another coat in better spraying conditions might fix it. Tried the worst one, since the temp/humidity are alright right now. I'll see how it looks in a couple of hours once it's completely set.

Checked all the rest after letting them dry for a while. A couple still have a little bit of frost in places I didn't get with the second coat, but not bad. I still need to redo the bases where the quickshade overran and add static grass and stuff, and then pick out some spots with Blood for the Blood God, which I wanted to do after varnishing so the different finish would show up. Hopefully finished pics sometime tomorrow or Monday.