Necrons, so what will change?

andozane

This is pure conjecture, nothing founded on anything...other than opinions :)

So, what do you think will change in the Necron codex?

Here are a few of my guesses:

1.  Mind Shackle Scarabs - GONE or perhaps Nerfed as a once per game, or much less affect.

2.  Triarch Stalkers - Lower point value, maybe 5 or 10

3.  I wish for just a generic FNP, and no more messing with their own version of it calling it reanimation protocols...

4.  Flayed ones...how you need something...but they always fail to give it to you.  Yeah, they will probably still suck.

5.  Doomsday Ark - Does anyone field these? I have tried...but that can't move to shoot your big gun aspect really makes them not great...and not worth their points.  Perhaps a point decrease?

6.  Night Scythes - Hmmm...point increase?  Stlll an amazing transport.

I feel like #3 is one of the defining characteristics of Necrons for most players.  Getting back up and gauss weapons? Must be Necrons...

Considering the balance brought to the hellturkey, I think an adjustment to points, rules, or both for the night scythes (#6) is pretty likely.

I would expect entropic strike (or whatever the name for their armor reducing rules is) to be adjusted to less book keeping.  Just a guess though.

• Like 1

Given the way the books have been so far? Something like the following:

-Tesla no longer works on Snap Shots.

-Reanimation Protocols becomes Feel No Pain (6+).

-Warscythe gains Unwieldy.

-Quantum Shielding, Mindshackle Scarabs, Tesseract Labyrinth, all unique Cryptek wargear removed.

-Crypteks and Lords just squad upgrade characters with +1 Attack. All type of Crypteks carry Staff of Light (S6 AP4 Assault 2.)

-Gauss weapons no longer cause automatic glancing hits except on vehicles AV10 or lower; regain ability to automatically wound targets (with armor save allowed) on 6 to wound.

-Imhotekh, Anrakyr, Trazyn, Orikan, Zandrekh, Obyron removed from codex.

-Flayed Ones reduced to 12pts, available as Fast Attack.

Because this way it's "more balanced," dontcha know.

Personally, I'd like to see the Necron Obelisk reduced to 5 HP and made into a heavy or fast slot as a non-super heavy (or as a non-apocalypse LoW). I'd also like to see the monolith increased to 5 HP, assuming they don't give it back it's old defensive ability.

I'd also like to see necrons get some legitimate psychic defense.

Oh, and I really want those flayed ones to either be formally dropped or added in with both viable kits and viable rules - I love this unit, but it is very pathetic in rules.

Given the way the books have been so far? Something like the following:

-Tesla no longer works on Snap Shots.

-Reanimation Protocols becomes Feel No Pain (6+).

-Warscythe gains Unwieldy.

-Quantum Shielding, Mindshackle Scarabs, Tesseract Labyrinth, all unique Cryptek wargear removed.

-Crypteks and Lords just squad upgrade characters with +1 Attack. All type of Crypteks carry Staff of Light (S6 AP4 Assault 2.)

-Gauss weapons no longer cause automatic glancing hits except on vehicles AV10 or lower; regain ability to automatically wound targets (with armor save allowed) on 6 to wound.

-Imhotekh, Anrakyr, Trazyn, Orikan, Zandrekh, Obyron removed from codex.

-Flayed Ones reduced to 12pts, available as Fast Attack.

Because this way it's "more balanced," dontcha know.

Wow, someone is bitter. The other books are not even close to that nerfed. You're not on 3++, you don't have to write for click bait.

My predictions

-Tesla does not work on snaps, and arcing removed

-MSS is flat -1 attack in a challenge (no min 1)

-Scythe point increase, as much as 50% (so 150 instead of 100)

-Warriors min size 10

-Court is removed, Cryptek or Lord straight squad upgrades (maybe less diversity of wargear)

-Imotekh possibly a LoW

Seeing as I don't have access to the stats on the site, that's a mighty large assumption you're making there. But that's cool, keep on being an a**hole and throwing out personal attacks, it really makes this a better place.

Didn't mean it as a personal attack, just that the 'sky is falling' attitude gains more traction with a larger audience. Lighten up, it was tongue in cheek.

I am guessing those are not your actual predictions and the actual ones would be a lot more interesting (and more to the point of the thread).

Alright, fair enough, that just came across as rather pointed to me.

I quite honestly do not like the new books, and it's not a "sky is falling" thing- I think they're poorly designed from a game (not just power level) perspective. Sagas could easily have been made into cool, relic-like upgrades for characters- instead they are turned into a random table you roll on. DE, one of the weaker codices around, got very little help and saw some of their most flexible/useful units essentially ruined AND saw many of their weaker units arbitrarily punished. GK had basically all of their options stripped out of the book. I feel like Games Workshop is moving back towards the extremely bland codex design of 3rd edition- and for those that remember the era, that does not mean "more balanced." You can have units that are both boring and overpowered quite easily.

Tesla losing its ability on snap shots is almost a given; ditto on Mindshackle Scarabs. MSS is pretty clearly too strong, as an entire fight can hinge on whether or not you pass that test, so that certainly needs to be changed. Tesla, on the other hand, isn't actually that amazing; no one runs Tesla Immortals or other such units. It holds its reputation essentially because of two units, the Annihilation Barge and Night Scythe, both of which are drastically underpriced and have reason to fire Snap Shots fairly often. However, the mechanic itself is actually fine, though I doubt that will save it from getting the axe.

I also expect Quantum Shielding will be either drastically toned down (i.e. bonus to armor value against first shot/first turn of shooting) or changed in functionality entirely (converts first penetration into a glance, etc), as they seem to be trying to avoid any kind of "memory issues" in the game.

Royal Courts will be changed to some kind of squad upgrade, although it's hard to say how exactly that will pan out. As with Wolf Guard, this isn't something I'm actually sad about, as it was pretty much what you did anyways. It's possible that Crypteks will just have access to a list of wargear upgrades (via the armory) that allow you to make versions not unlike the current ones (i.e. pay 10pts for a Eldritch Lance, swap to Haywire for free, etc.) Oh, the Harbinger of Storm's gun is gonna get nerfed into oblivion, I'm sure- it seems GW wants to keep the Haywire rules as they are, but make sure such weapons can't easily be used to kill tanks.

They'll continue trying to fix C'tan and not succeed again, because GW still doesn't realize that melee MCs that move 6" per turn are bad.

The special characters are probably all gonna get switched over to essentially just having USRs, as that's what happened to a lot of the others so far. I imagine Imotekh will get made into a LoW and just make it Night Fighting for some fixed period (one extra turn, all game, first half of the game, whatever), Anrakyr will get Tank Hunter, Obyron will get something about challenges and Glorious Intervention.

I don't doubt some new stuff will be added into the codex as well, since even GK and DE got things in that regard, but I'm not hopeful for the fate of the existing parts of the book. Their supplement will likely be about the Sautekh Dynasty, since FW already put out a Flayed Ones faction and Destroyers have never really been implied to do their own thing (and there basically aren't any other factions existing right now.) Maybe some kooky stuff in regards to HQ slots and characters?

What I think will change:

- Tesla nerfed. Probably to not working on Snap Shots.

- Night Scythe will probably get further nerfed, even tho the Tesla nerf would likely be sufficient.

- Doom Scythe may become better. GW's done that with a few of the dual-build Kits when they got their books redone.

- MSS are gone or nerfed into uselessness.

- Lords/Crypteks become Unit Upgrades. We'll see how much of their range of options survives.

- Flayed Ones will somehow actually end up worse.

- Special Characters will get their Rules streamlined. Some might get pulled, but they do all have Models.

What I want to change:

- Tesla nerf as above.

- Significant, but not crippling, nerf to MSS. Reduce to WS1, remove some Attacks, something like that.

- Cleanup of the Night Scythe and CCB Rules so they work clearly with the 7th Ed Rules. Possibly change Invasion Beams so if they're used after moving more than the minimum, the Unit has to Deep Strike out like with a Valkyrie or Storm Raven. Maybe also limit how far the Scythe can move on a Turn when Units embark.

- Lords/Crypteks as Unit Upgrades, but with most or all of their options left.

- Buffs of some kind to most of the Elites and some of the FA. A lot of them really just need Points drops, but both Lychguard and Praetorians could also use the ability to mix upgrades within the Unit, and Flayed Ones probably want something like Fleet+something like Rending or a Gauss-like effect on their CC Attacks.

- Some kind of buff to Trazyn. Not sure what, but he has my favorite fluff of any SC, so I'd like to see him be good on the table.

I want to see them continue to have an Ordnance weapon so that their survivability is irrelevant, as they will output basically no firepower for their cost.

Seriously, another HP won't change a dang thing on the Monolith. They are either dying to Explodes! results or just being totally ignored because who cares about a single Battle Cannon shot per turn?

I want to see them continue to have an Ordnance weapon so that their survivability is irrelevant, as they will output basically no firepower for their cost.

Seriously, another HP won't change a dang thing on the Monolith. They are either dying to Explodes! results or just being totally ignored because who cares about a single Battle Cannon shot per turn?

The monolith does have many uses, even if overlooked often enough. First, he's got the Auto-S10 ram attack, like the leman russes have. For shooting, he's got the ordnance, yeah, but he's also got the 4x flayer arcs which can each independantly target, so hit can target up to 5 things per turn. Despite snapping, it does mean that you can pop shots at flyers and other nearby threats. That door is pretty awesome, not the d6" attack, but the ability to shift models around the battlefield. Anyway, in terms of damage output, I'd put the monolith very near to a LR crusader or Redeemer - yeah, upgraded with the MM and those vehicles are better, but stock models, they have similar output ability.

I am wondering when the monolith lost Deep strike, current codex has it, so FAQ? I do miss the old monolith deep strike, the one that landed and pushed enemy models out of the way for it's landing. I also miss the old living armor rule, which really isn't very broken in modern 40k, just was at the time.

OK, so, yes, I'd ALSO like to see them get better in other regards, I just think they should ALSO have 5 HPs.

Well, in that case it'll probably get removed as well.

The portal is a neat idea, but there aren't a lot of good ways to use it as the army stands, since there's not much of a reason for you to ever have troops on foot when Ghost Arks and Night Scythes are both excellent transports and most of the powerhouses in the list (Annihilation Barge, Command Barge) can't use it.

Well, in that case it'll probably get removed as well.

The portal is a neat idea, but there aren't a lot of good ways to use it as the army stands, since there's not much of a reason for you to ever have troops on foot when Ghost Arks and Night Scythes are both excellent transports and most of the powerhouses in the list (Annihilation Barge, Command Barge) can't use it.

I sense your sarcasm AP ;)

and it's not the monoliths fault that the units that can use it's strongest,imo, function are sub-par :D

One of the interesting uses for the portal is to remove models that are already in transports and exit through the monolith portal. I've heard arguements back and forth about the game legality of this, but it's most certainly a grey area in the rules.

Another fun use is to pull the gargantuan c'tan out of the monolith portal, as that's legal in this edition.... The old monolith was only able to portal "necrons" which was specific to not include the old and much more impressive c'tan special characters.

For fluff, I really liked the old fluff much more than the new fluff. I want the star gods back as star gods, not these little bad slivers of gods...