Clear bases for 40k

PourSpelur

Anyone have any personal experience with using/seeing clear based models?

I'm trying to figure out a basing scheme for my Sisters army and am really intrigued by the concept. Do you think I could run into a problem using them in OFCC or any other "painting and basing required" settings? Maybe I could paint just the vertical lip black to help identify the edge for blast templates and such.

Basically, anyone have anything pro or con to say?

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Also be careful with your glue options, do some tests, most I have dealt with don't favorably interact with clear plastics and cause clouding.

In my experience - which is limited - this seems to be from the vapor from the glue, or water vapor, getting caught in the glue as it hardens which causes the clouding. If it's water vapor, maybe setting the piece to cure in a very dry environment (e.g., refrigerator) would help. I haven't tried it.

The freezer compartment and fridge compartment share the same air. When you adjust the fridge to cooler it just directs more air from the freezer down. All the "cooling" is done in the freezer. There is an auto defrost cycle in most so that could jump your moisture content up a bit. I just did some work on a couple and they're way more complex than I thought they'd be so I figured I'd share;)

About the bases. I still haven't decided. Not knowing if the size will change has put this part of the project on hold. No worries, I still have: heads, guns and list to decide on. Followed by actually building all the stuff. Oh yeah, I'm making a Chank! Half church-half tank-all bastion;)

It's more about how the air at that temperature interacts with any moisture that's already in there. The freezer tends to freeze it completely out of the air, while in the fridge, it condenses, but there's still some re-evaporation, so you get some humidity. This is why bread will stale if stored in the fridge, but not if stored in the freezer.

Anyone have any personal experience with using/seeing clear based models?

Skimmer bases and those spartan games firestorm armada use clear bases. More brittle plastic, with any damage being considerably more noticeable. Doing repairs is difficult too.

Seeing them can be an issue if looking for the model. I've lost many skimmer bases just because I can't find them on the table when clean up arrives. I would suggest against an entirely clear base.

As for fixing the models in place, lots of options other than glue. There are epoxy variants that are more sticky, which might not create the foggy effect that superglue brings. Could also look into drilling small holes and pinning without glue. Magnets could also work, assuming the model is light enough.

Now, another option would be clear resin actually poured by you to create the base. If model is set on the liquid resin at this stage, you may be able to bypass a need to fix the model to the base. You may need to suspend the model so it doesn't sink. This might be the most viable option, but it means painting the models prior to attaching them to the base, then risking much by setting on the liquid resin.

Am I the only who finds clear acrylic to be really ugly? I think flying bases, for instance often ruin otherwise very nice looking armies. 

As far as clear bases go the first issue I think of is the tabs or pins or whatever connects the model to the base. Perhaps plastic models could be attached with just clear adhesive but not metal figures. If the base is clear the stuff will be visible. 

I think the first step would be to figure how to attach them in an attractive way. 

• Like 1

General nailed it. With battle mats and painted tables being the majority of playing surfaces I thought it may be cool to always "fit in". If my girls are spreading the Emprah's Word on a hive world, they'll have urban looking bases..etc...

All the models I'm planning on using are plastic so no problem there. Infantry bases only, no walkers or anything like that. I do plan on painting the rim though. Partially for ease of gameplay, partially to "frame" the base.

I think I've talked myself into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only who finds clear acrylic to be really ugly? I think flying bases, for instance often ruin otherwise very nice looking armies. 

As far as clear bases go the first issue I think of is the tabs or pins or whatever connects the model to the base. Perhaps plastic models could be attached with just clear adhesive but not metal figures. If the base is clear the stuff will be visible. 

I think the first step would be to figure how to attach them in an attractive way. 

I always paint mine, then add basing like any other base.

Main issue is that "clear" has a color of it's own, which doesn't match the army very well. I suppose if they were all clear, the visual lack would go away too.