What's Still Left That Needs 2-Detachment Limits?

WestRider

I'm not really sure why there's confusion.  I know of no forum that doesnt meander from topic to topic.  We did.  Now as you can read, i am addressing NOT the Witch Hunter codex in any way but instead the number of Detachments.  Pretre is spending his time trying to find some insane way in which what i wrote allows him to bring a Space Wolf into a Sister of Battle army (I think that was another tangent and I think its sorted and pretty much done).  

So bigger fonts probably wont help untangle it.  Neither will meme's.  but then...  I mean...  how has that ever stopped us.

I think the issue is that you are the only one who is on the same page with what you are typing.  Everyone else on this thread is disagreeing with your logic and your premises.  This is not an issue when it comes to opinion, but it is if we are talking about hard data.  

Perhaps that is because you are jumping around.  I am okay with that as long as we can have an agreement or closure on open issues.  Until they are agreed upon, I can only assume they are still being discussed, but you are saying you moved on....so I am really really confused.

• Like 2

Ok, so then please answer these questions....so i have.....closer (yeah thats it)

1.  Do you agree or disagree that SOB and WH should be part of the same faction?

2.  Do you agree or disagree that SOB have been a stand alone codex more (time wise) then they were a part of WH?

3.  Do you believe that a necessity of an ally to plug holes is an indicator of if an army (SOB in this case) was meant to be stand alone?

Could be its own thread at this point or a poll.  Since you want closure:

1.  To be more exact, I think the identity of the Sisters of Battle should be Witch Hunters, under the Inquisition...  as they have been, longer than they haven't been.  No one on this forum has the juice to make it happen in either direction.

2.  No.  SoB were a stand alone codex for one year.  Then the codex was invalid.  They were just a thing thrown into the 3rd Edition Book, not a stand alone codex.  Then nothing until a 2002 non-codex supplement that was just a year before the Witch Hunters version (a preview basically).  So no.  It was not a stand alone CODEX (1 year +) longer than it was a stand alone Witch Hunters codex in 2003 (8 years).  Could you use them in that time with the stats provided?  Sure.

3.  The necessity of an ally isn't enough in and of itself to say that.  Why?  The Edition changed.  Adepta Sororitas was meant to be stand alone.  So were Witch Hunters as Witch Hunters and all that it meant.  Nothing in-between the one year codex and its eventual 2002 Chapter Approved supplementary help was.

and now...  I am talking again about the way in which several codex's are now written that more or less express themselves through multiple detachments much better.  So it doesn't have to be an outside ally per se in all cases.  For example the Haemonculus coven is played well with either multiple internal formations OR multiple formartions from it and the Dark eldar codex.  A lot of Grey Knights players now needed three codex's to reconstruct their lists if they didn't want to totally abandon their lists.  Militarum Tempestus most definitely needs multiple Detachments, internal or otherwise, it has to.  And so on.

Which was what WestRyder wanted to talk about in his thread. 

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I'm not really sure why there's confusion.

I have seen a similar atatements in threads that stretch vast pages like this from you...

I dare say have you gone back and read all the posts since typing them. Both of you are all over the board. And have nearly said opposing things at one time for he intent of being conflicting more than to push one single argument.

Wow just wow. Would love to see this go Vbavk on topic with constructive posts.

Wow just wow. Would love to see this go Vbavk on topic with constructive posts.

Also, I think we've covered it. People put forward the case for more than 2 sources. The opposite case was presented. I'm not sure that there's much else beyond this.

Threads like this go off the rails for several reasons:

1) The topics covered and people start getting into minutae

2) Someone says something outlandish and only tangentially on topic that draws a lot of discussion

3) It's a slow day and people get bored

4) Reasons

I think all of these are true in this thread.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I love that you went back and read for possible flip flopping. Lol.

I really only meant to call one a flip flopped and didn't mean to right in general terms.

I agree op was covered quite a bit but was just curious if more could be added. Considering this hit 8 pages I doubt anyone feels inclined to add more

Back on topic... 

I don't think the detachment limit was every meant to combat spam in a meaningful way.  At least Reece and others have been pretty vocal about them wanting to limit the kind of stuff that was seen at Adepticon last year.  They are also not a fan of the CtA stuff.  Allow CtA and open up detachment limits and its only going to escalate what is already perceived by many as a touch too much.  Like say take an army like AbusePuppy's Eldar/Tau (not picking on ya AP but its a great example here).  Already 2 strong AoC armies, summoning in a third.  No detachment limits and its a not much of a stretch to add an inquistor to such an army.  Or the spore mine formation from Shield of Baal.  etc.  Its that sort of cheap and easily added detachments ontop of CTA and similar that makes a case for keeping detachment limits.  

Also I think one of the original arguments for detachment limits not mentioned is that its mostly Imperial based armies that benefit from removing the 2 detachment limit -- since the have so many battle brothers and detachments to pick and choose from.  At this point with every dex getting the 6ed/7ed treatment that argument doesn't hold much water.  I think only Tau are the only non-imperial army that doesn't have a ton of BB detachments available.  Chaos kinda gets the shaft also but I think that is changing if rumors are to be believed.  Anyways, something worth mentioning and discussing I guess.

Finally, Adepticon will be a test for the idea of opening up detachment limits, since its unlimited numbers of detachments, just no duplicates (so 8 flyrants is not possible, but 6 or so might be).  I suspect based on last year that there will be a lot of Inquisition as predicted here earlier in the thread.  Will be interesting to see.

• Like 2

I love that you went back and read for possible flip flopping. Lol.

I really only meant to call one a flip flopped and didn't mean to right in general terms.

I agree op was covered quite a bit but was just curious if more could be added. Considering this hit 8 pages I doubt anyone feels inclined to add more

Lol I take accusations of flip flopping seriously.

I demand satisfaction! ;)

But I want more!

Back on topic tho you always have abuse differing force org just shifts the abuse. I'm actually of the opinion with formations and such there is less need for the two detachment rule and something a little more free flowing. I kinda wish more events would allow unbound, cuz the way they are limiting things basically isn't a limit. When you can get 5 flying hive tyrants there isn't really a limit.

Also I hate allowing in faction allies now I'd rather they allowed two cads before allowing the extra few slots, at 1850 it would be more painful to require the extra troops offa second CAD. makes it more of a choice to be battle forged which is why I'm also a fan of allowing unbound.

Edited by VonVilkee
  • Like 2