What's Still Left That Needs 2-Detachment Limits?

WestRider

This is also interesting. I feel like could be the case for Harlequins, Inquisition, Militarum Tempestus and Officio Assassinorum. :smile:

Harlequins want to be your warlord and assassins can't though. For the others I don't know that it does anything to add that requirement.

Yeah, that was why I only suggested it for Inquisitors. They are squishy enough that it is a real trade off, but if they don't count you could actually do an inquisition type army. Inquisitor, military arm of your choice and a fill the missing piece force. The others can just go straight to a weakness filler as the second source. Shrugs you won't really see Inquisitors unless they don't count or you're allowed enough sources but if you allow everybody three or more sources you get allot of cheap hard counters floating around. By forcing the inquisitor to be the warlord you are taking a squishy warlord point for the benefits they bring and it is fluffy for him to be the binding force of the army and hence the key figure of leadership ie warlord.

• Like 2

Thinking about it more. I think the swedish-type comp system could. You'd have to keep it very general, and it might not be perfect, but I think 40k could pull it off.

I think doing it by codex/army book would probably fail. Keeping it general, like psykers, special characters, number of units, and so forth could work.

For those that haven't seen the swedish comp system, players start with a certain number of points for their list score (not related to model point costs), then the more problematic units/rules subtract points. Armies can't get below 0 for list score, which basically bans excessively overpowered armies. The points determine starting opponents and such.

True, but I think DA would really shine. Their codex is one of the more restrictive ones in the normal detachment system. Lots of lacking troops options, lots of overpriced characters required to take even more overpriced troops.

Out of curiousity, what do you think DA get in an Unbound army that would push them ahead of other armies? Unlike Eldar/Tau/etc they don't really have very many "power" choices that you could abuse by minimizing troops or other taxes- in fact, I struggle to think of anything they could take in sufficient multiples to warrant an unbound army that they can't already get in a Battleforged one pretty easily.

I like 4, no duplicates.

I think once you get past three, it really stops being a limitation at all. Very few armies will have reason (or points) to take more than three detachments in 1850 or so points.

• Like 1

After the discussion and concerns here I'm now a fan of the two sources limit and enforcing the wording of allies. The ally with yourself was an early nod to nids that no longer needs to exist. As more armies get their own special. Detachments (remember formations are special detachments per the rules) allowing extra stuff with objective secured from the exact same list is not necessary.

I feel the limit needs to be there so at the higher levels of competition there are no gimme options. With out the limit you will see Inquisitors with servo skulls, and that anti psyker assassin in almost every list what 200 points of ruin a few specific builds. That isn't what we want. That said I'd like to see inquisition be playable which with two sources it isn't really. So yes I'm for tight limits at the competitive level with some dispensation for specific "primary" armies. Remember primary refers to where your Warlord comes from not the type of detachment used for it.

• Like 1

General comp is generally more harm than help. Certain armies benefit far more and it doesn't always shift away from the good stuff, in 40k the good stuff is good cuz it can engage multiple target types well while requiring specific counters. Those specific counters are either difficult to obtain in number, or don't have widespread use outside of being a counter to something you might face. The counters could also be heavy costed in points, and limit your access to the remaining tools you need.

Allot of times problem units become more of a problem as you limit the counters more than the problem. This is why if comp is done it must be specific.

• Like 1

Centurionstar because it doesn't require spamming to make it powerful and therefore one can bring a top flight army within the confines of highlander which should have other armies lowered in power.

Wave Serpents can be taken out of all the slots of an eldar army, so, one could have the effect of wave serpent spam quite easily, again, within the confines of a highlander event which should be lowering the power of other armies (like biker marines). 

Out of curiousity, what do you think DA get in an Unbound army that would push them ahead of other armies? Unlike Eldar/Tau/etc they don't really have very many "power" choices that you could abuse by minimizing troops or other taxes- in fact, I struggle to think of anything they could take in sufficient multiples to warrant an unbound army that they can't already get in a Battleforged one pretty easily.

DA suffer in two main areas. First is the largely overpriced and, frankly, underpowered, special characters that are required in every army. And second, All their troops choices are overpriced.

For an unbound DA army, I'd ditch troops slots altogether. The only DA terms worth taking are the DW Knights, the only DA bikes worth taking are the RW knights. Those two units are amazing and can bring down almost any opponent. I'd add a few combi-melta TDA libs, and that would be the entire army. Maybe 2-4 units of 5 DW knights, and 10+ units of 3 RW command squads (command squad is RW knights at 6pts less for no clear reason).

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I don't think you can take multiple units of dedicated transports even if they come out of different slots. But yes centurionstar is much better.

With any comp you will see different power curves exist. The comp system that limits the most is what should be strived for. Hi think highlander does that plus it brings an enjoyment of see a diversity of choices on the table. With that said the learning curve skyrockets because now you need to know all entries in every codex as you are likely to see more.

I don't think you can take multiple units of dedicated transports even if they come out of different slots.

In an unbound army, you should be able to field dedicated transports without their counterpart units. Unbound rules describe it as, "simply use whichever units from your collection you want." Dedicated transports are units, so it should be legal.

With any comp you will see different power curves exist. The comp system that limits the most is what should be strived for. Hi think highlander does that plus it brings an enjoyment of see a diversity of choices on the table. With that said the learning curve skyrockets because now you need to know all entries in every codex as you are likely to see more.

It's not just CentStar. Highlander makes almost any DeathStar list better. And it kills off a huge range of fun, fluffy lists as collateral damage.

Wave Serpents can be taken out of all the slots of an eldar army, so, one could have the effect of wave serpent spam quite easily, again, within the confines of a highlander event which should be lowering the power of other armies (like biker marines). 

Most Highlander formats class dedicated transports the same as everything else, so you can still only have one.

For an unbound DA army, I'd ditch troops slots altogether. The only DA terms worth taking are the DW Knights, the only DA bikes worth taking are the RW knights. Those two units are amazing and can bring down almost any opponent. I'd add a few combi-melta TDA libs, and that would be the entire army. Maybe 2-4 units of 5 DW knights, and 10+ units of 3 RW command squads (command squad is RW knights at 6pts less for no clear reason).

Mmmm. DWK and BK are both fairly decent units, but not amazing- an army like that would be significantly lacking in anti-tank (and especially ranged anti-tank). Both of them can hit pretty hard, but they don't have a lot of survivability and the DWK have very little mobility. Spending 40+pts per model would leave you with a pretty small army.

• Like 1

Mmmm. DWK and BK are both fairly decent units, but not amazing- an army like that would be significantly lacking in anti-tank (and especially ranged anti-tank). Both of them can hit pretty hard, but they don't have a lot of survivability and the DWK have very little mobility. Spending 40+pts per model would leave you with a pretty small army.

Ranged AT might be an issue. 

As mentioned, combi-melta ICs. Every BK has a TP homer and scouts, while every DW terminator has turn 1 DS and TL weapons on the drop. You can typically deal with most AV14 threats with a single TL combi-melta via an attached TDA IC. The TL plasma does just fine at killing just about everything at range, while the BKs have S5 rending paired melee weapons with hit and run. Those DWK are pretty solid too.

Still, would be pretty much all or nothing. Dunno, list was the best I could think up with 5min of thought...I think it would do alright, but you'd want to fine tune it and make a less spammy/more TACT list.