Friendlier OFCC list

KAPcom

Hey guys. I'm lookin to bring a friendlier list to OFCC this year (lots of folks are not super excited to play against drop pods, it turns out). I'm hoping to bring an admech painted list, so I'm taking models from a few different codexs to represent 'em. Also trying to have a wide variety of types of units, which I feel leads to more fun games. I would love some feedback on the list below, in terms of would you enjoy playing against it. If not, what things could be changed to improve that? Thanks for the help. 

SM side: 

White Scars chapter tactics

HQ: 

Chapter master (bike, shield eternal, artificer armor, thunderhammer)

Troops:

Bike squad (6x bikes, atk bike, 2x grav guns, multimelta)

Heavy support: 

Stormraven (multi-melta, assault cannon)

Tau allies:

HQ:

Cadre Fireblade

Elites:

Riptide (ion accel, plasma, early warning override)

Troops:

Fire warrior squad (9x, pulse rifles)

Heavy support: 

Broadside unit (3x, sms, early warning override)

Knight detachment:

Knight Gerantius

• Like 1

Hey guys. I'm lookin to bring a friendlier list to OFCC this year (lots of folks are not super excited to play against drop pods, it turns out). I'm hoping to bring an admech painted list, so I'm taking models from a few different codexs to represent 'em. Also trying to have a wide variety of types of units, which I feel leads to more fun games. I would love some feedback on the list below, in terms of would you enjoy playing against it. If not, what things could be changed to improve that? Thanks for the help. 

SM side: 

HQ: 

Troops:

Heavy support: 

Tau allies:

HQ:

Cadre Fireblade

Elites:

Troops:

Heavy support: 

Knight detachment:

Knight Gerantius

Wow...A collection of all the units people tend to gripe about.

Riptide, check

Imperial knight, check

white scars bikers, check

Honestly, list looks fine. Should be fine assuming opponents bring similar lists.

If looking for a more fun list, TAU fire warriors equipped for assault always get smiles, emp and carbines to that end. Onager gauntlet too.

SM side: 

HQ: 

Troops:

Heavy support: 

Tau allies:

HQ:

Cadre Fireblade

Elites:

Troops:

Heavy support: 

Knight detachment:

Knight Gerantius

If this was the friendlier list, I'm interested in seeing the other. hah

If you want feedback on a friendlier list for the team event.

- Drop the Chapter Master down a bit. There's a reason that wargear loadout is the template for every competitive list. Take a librarian on bike or something instead.

- Take bigger bike squads. Vary the loadout. Maybe and weird number like 8. Or drop the bikes and take a tactical squad in transport

- Drop Gerantius. Even just a normal knight with this list is bad news.

- Take some Kroot. take bigger Fire Warrior Squads. Heck, take some Vespids or something. 

Right now you have basically min-maxed good units across the board. That's not what you want to see in a Team event list.

On the other hand, if you take this to the Open, you'll do fine. Keep in mind that that is an option this year as the Open is a two day event run simultaneously.

Thanks for all the feedback. Here's an updated list with some various changes:

-Took out Gerantus, replaced him w/ a regular knight

-Broke up the bike star and split the units to a more managable size

-Changed the chapter tactics to iron hands (makes more sense for admech anyways)

-Changed the tau side to a more assault-y feel

SM: 

Chapter tactics: Iron hands

HQ:

Chapter master (bike, shield eternal, TH)

Troops:

Bike squad (4x bikes, 1x atk bike, 2x grav, 1x melta)

Scout squad (10x scouts)

Heavy support:

Stormraven (melta, assault cannons)

Tau:

HQ:

Farsight

Troops:

Crisis team (3x, stimulant injectors, 2x flamers each, 2x shield drones (total))

Fast atk:

xv109 Y'vahra battlesuit (Ion discharge cannon, plasma-flamer)

Knight errant

As for the open, I understand that's an option, but I've already got a team put together for the team event. 

Just out of curiosity, what models are you using to represent Ad Mech?  I love Ad Mech.  

Also, this list is much more OFCC team event appropriate, honestly.

It's still pretty tough though, maybe turn the CM into a captain?  

Honestly, I feel like the power level of OFCC in 2015 is going to be lower than in 2014.  

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Drop Raven and add firestorm redoubt for cool as mech Mobil base and your anti air would do wonders to bring to a mid level list. Otherwise good improvements. I assume attack bike is the melta? As you have 2 grav and 1 melta in each.

Honestly, I feel like the power level of OFCC in 2015 is going to be lower than in 2014.  

In talking to Joel this weekend, I also have this feeling. :)

I still feel this is a bit hard for the Team event.

I'd replace the Chapter Smasher with something else still. We're moving in the right direction with dropping the Artificer. 

Since you have 20 infantry, what about another unit of 10 scouts?

The Tau is better, but the Y'Havra might be a little evil. 

Better, but still could use some toning.

• Like 1

Oh, so you're trying to make the models you have fit into the team event.Cool, I didn't understand that at first. Felt a bit like you were saying "Hey guys, I took the nails out of my baseball bat. Can I use it in the pillow fight now?" ;)

One giant stompy robot

One big stompy robot

20 infantry and a bunch of bikes.

Are you looking to use just what's done or add a couple things if needed?

Models I have are the primary drive behind this list. I've got a knight-sized giant robot, a riptide-sized robot, 3 centurions (heavily converted for admech), 20 admech infantry, and a bunch of admech bikes. 

Just based off this, I'd do something like:

Knight

Captain on Bike with normal TH/SS.

3 Centurions with Las/Missile

20 Scouts.

Bikes with a variety of weapon systems (not just Grav/Melta)

Maybe a FW Dreadnought for the riptide robot.

Then let us know what else you have for models and we'll go from there.

It's still going to be tough, but a lot less optimized.

Hoping to use what I've got (poor college student with little time/ money) I don't mind adding a few things here and there, but trying to keep the core close to what I've already got. I think I might add some more scouts, seems like fun. Forgot the storm raven, and an armored guy with a jet pack, have one of those as well

Hoping to use what I've got (poor college student with little time/ money) I don't mind adding a few things here and there, but trying to keep the core close to what I've already got. I think I might add some more scouts, seems like fun. Forgot the storm raven, and an armored guy with a jet pack, have one of those as well

Knight

Captain on Bike with normal TH/SS.

3 Centurions with Las/Missile

20 Scouts.

Bikes with a variety of weapon systems (not just Grav/Melta)

Maybe a FW Dreadnought for the riptide robot.

Stormraven

Chaplain or Captain with JP and Weapons

I don't see a lot in either list that really fits with AdMech fluff in any of the books to date.  Skitaari, servitors, magi, weapons platforms, etc. either on foot or in transports backed up with exotic tanks in the various Black Library novels were staples for all the books they were featured in, bikes and jump-MC just don't mesh with an AdMech sell IMO.  A knight, that makes sense for some exotic AdMech tech and they already look the part.

Also, multiple cookie-cutter units (completely identical count/wargear/etc.) has always been something I've seen as an indication of a focus on competitiveness over other list aspects, which is definitely worth considering for the OFCC teams event, especially if the LRC is swinging the nerf-bat at the power-creep which seemed to be present last year.  As was previously suggested, variety between units helps, and (IMO) finding something to replace some things with traditional AdMech style units would help fit the traditional fluff a lot more.

I see where you're coming from. Last year I made an all tank list because I found a great way to make them look mutated and I have a ton of Russes. In hind sight, my drive to be fluffy and have a cool themed force led me to making a list a little too tough for the spirit of OFCC. Not crazy powerful but a little rock-paper-scissor'y. Keep working at it and good luck!

;)

Holy crap you people are a bunch of whiners. Gerantius is EASILY the worst Knight that has been printed yet- he's 130pts more expensive for virtually no benefit. (Rerolling Stomps is cute, but not "one third increase to price" cute.) The Broadsides don't even have missiles on them- they're using plain ol' Heavy Rail Rifles, which is to say "Lascannons but not as good." The bikes are the ABSOLUTE BARE MINIMUM legal number you can run in a bike army. The Riptide has zero Markerlight support.

This is not a "hard" list. This is a list that would get its s*** kicked in at a tournament. It is a list that I would secretly pump the fist if I saw my opponent lay it down opposite me on the table. It's using a Stormraven with nothing to deliver, Fire Warriors on foot, and Desperate Allies to very little purpose. It has weak scoring and very limited shooting potential. Once the bikes are dead, it has all the mobility of a dead rat.

But no, let's all b*** about how rough this army is and then let double-Helldrake, quintuple-Scythe, and an unmodified WS/CotGW army that wins tournaments through without a second glance. Also, while we're at it, let's try and inject a bunch of personal opinions about how other people should run units into this and frame it as "proper sportsmanship," because everyone knows that MY way of doing things is objectively correct but other people's is bad and dumb and wrong.

Holy crap you people are a bunch of whiners.

He asked for an opinion, and he got it.  *shrug*  Complaining about opinions by offering your own is just as whiny TBH.  

K©arl was a blast to play at OFCC last year, I didn't think his drop pods + knight was all that crazy for OFCC (especially in the context of the 2014 lists), not sure how the above list is any less potent, honestly.  

To be fair, I missed that the broadsides didn't have missiles.  But a bog-standard CM on Bike is pretty standard.  Grav-gun toting bikes is same.  One of the armies we nixxed last year was bikes + knight on the heels of a list like that winning LVO.  The perception of a knight + bikes (especially WS CT), is still pretty strong.  Throw in 2 of the best units in the Tau dex (without markerlight support or the buff mander, but still) is just going to ruffle feathers.  

Obviously, this is without the context of the purdy models.  A disagree with the earlier post that copy-pasted units speak only to power gaming, typically it also speaks of being shoehorned by available models.  I ran into this when I was trying to make a counts-as squat army with the Mantic Forgefathers line.  Basically you end up with a few units and just repeat 'em to fit the models.  Considering that this is a count-as army, that should be expected.  

• Like 1

I never said gerantius was good just that those unaccustomed to knights would be surprised by him. He does take everything surprising about knights up a notch. The 4+ invulnerable is a 3+ for him, he has a higher WS and BS, and the cute reroll the failed stomp all just add to the surprise. These are the things people complain about and if trying to avoid complaints they would best be avoided.

Also points not spent on gerantius gives Kap more points to spend on things people will want to engage with which is fun. Biggest tip I have is take stuff that dies back and forth destruction is far more fun than stomp the counters and be invincible!

• Like 1