Experienced Chaos Generals (or opponents), your advice is needed!

I've had a dream since drooling over the Chaos Knight and Chaos Warrior models released sometime back in 6th of making an elite-ish (meaning, not marauders) Chaos Mortals army led by a huge Bloodthirster (back when the Forgeworld model was awesome and Chaos could combine Daemons and Mortals).

With the release of the Legions option, and newer (and awesomer) Bloodthirster and Khorne characters and Skullcrushers, temptation is getting the better of me.

The thing is I don't have even close to time to paint an entirely new army so I'm probably going to try to find someone who will take my paint scheme "vision" (black skinned daemons and warriors, with black-to-red fade armor, and flame-themed highlights; none of this bright red Khorney stuff) and paint an army for me.

That said, I will have to buy this army pretty much un-playtested.  Which is fine with me, since it's mostly just a collection of all my favorite Chaos models anyway, but I want it to be as fun to play with (and against!) as a zero-magic Khorne army can be!

With that is as the explanation, here's the list I have in mind.  Those of you with a lot of experience playing with or against Chaos, especially Khorne, please, advise me if there is something basically stupid about this build:

Bloodthirster (using Axe/Whip and black skin like in the round-based GW example)
Khorne Exalted Hero with Axe and Shield (run as a Warrior unit champ)
Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount (run as a Knight unit champ)
Chaos Lord on foot (run as a Warrior unit champ)
(3) units of 12 Chaos Warriors (using Chosen models cuz I like 'em better and also Banners of Rage throughout)
(2) units of 5 Chaos Furies

What do you think?  Remember this isn't just another "Army Builder wet dream", I'm actually going to drop a bunch of money to get this commissioned if the list looks reasonable, so if you have any input I'm all ears :)  And no, I don't mean "you are dum 9th is coming and warhammer is ruined"... I don't give a hoot, I am too excited about these awesome models and army theme, and will play 8th with my friends if 9th is completely lame, which I doubt... or heck if GW kills WFB I'll write my own rules... whatever!!

WFB4EVAH!

NtK

PS: Finally my Bretonnia Chaos Hunter army will have a perfect foe for me to set up little story battles in my basement and never leave home again...

• Like 1

BroG, I'm hardly ever home, unless by "home" you mean "in my car driving to drop my daughter at school, driving to work, picking her up, and driving to my house", in which case, yes, I think I'm home most of the time ;)

Good point dont panic, I didn't even notice his base size.  Might have to fiddle with that a bit.

I would recommend a skullcannon or a hellcannon.

You need something that will make the enemy decide that close combat is safer than ranged combat. (Kinda like trebuchets with Brets)

Otherwise you might be a sad khorne panda.

Coolio, I do have one as a "backup" model in my list of things to buy, but I wasn't able to fit it into my initial list.  I'll be sure to get one.

Really looking forward to this army!! Every part of it will smash face, its just difficult to stop it all from cleaning house. 

Halberds on the foot warriors? 

Did you decide on the skill- cannon? I think its a good option.

This army is going to be beautiful. 

• Like 1

Thanks man!  

Yes Halberds on the Warriors, I was going to go with a mix (GW, Halb, HW/Sh) but because I so preferred the Chosen models over the basic warriors that I am just going with all Halberds.  It'll keep it simpler anyway.

I did get a Hellcannon, but the Skullcannon model just wasn't to my liking.  I actually think the Chariot and cannon are dope, but the Bloodletters look like they are riding along as an afterthought IMHO.

I've got all the models en route (except the Hellcannon which was backordered) and now I'm going to try to focus on finishing up a few projects I've got halfway done (my Bretonnia character conversions and my super-expensive Forgeworld Kustom Dreadknights for my 40k army [that I never play]) so that I'm not accumulating unfinished models ;)

If it comes together anything like it looks in my mind it's going to be just incredible on the tabletop.

Can't wait can't wait can't wait...

Sorry I'm late to this party or else I would have advised against the Fury models.  They are ok looking in general, but they do not rank up well for combat.  I'm converting some Dryads with 'Nid Gargoyle wings that are better I think.  The Furies are not the worst (they are not as bad as the plastic Bloodletters, which rank poorly and line up poorly for CC), but there are better options.

As to the list: looks good and fun.  Halbards are a good choice for Khorne, though they usually are not taken in favor of XHWs.  Skullcrushers are money all day long, but a unit of 5 seems excessive and perhaps unweildy.  They should blow thru whatever they contact though.

I agree that a cannon of some flavor would be good, maybe even two of them, but there are few armies inclined to jump into melee with a list like this whether you have a cannon or not.  I don't think you have the points or the list options to field enough (non-magical) missile fire to force that.  Unless you could manage a pair of each cannon type, but we all know you don't roll like that.  So I don't know if I would bother if you don't have the points readily available.  You will get into close combat, and the sooner the better for you. 

Shove it all forward - they can only back up so far!

• Like 1

Even while playing push-it-forward chaos, Skullcannons are still immensely useful. The best thing they provide is a cannon for early turns and then a great chariot for when combat is formed. That's why they're so amazing. The Hellcannon is not as good not because it's a lobba, but because it doesn't have the combat interdiction abilities of its skull counterpart.

You could also get enough bows on the table to somewhat force the issue using doubled up chaos cannons and bowgor, but that would be a very different list (more about the warriors conserving points and counter charging than being aggressive).

• Like 1

Sorry I'm late to this party or else I would have advised against the Fury models.  They are ok looking in general, but they do not rank up well for combat.  I'm converting some Dryads with 'Nid Gargoyle wings that are better I think.  The Furies are not the worst (they are not as bad as the plastic Bloodletters, which rank poorly and line up poorly for CC), but there are better options.

As to the list: looks good and fun.  Halbards are a good choice for Khorne, though they usually are not taken in favor of XHWs.  Skullcrushers are money all day long, but a unit of 5 seems excessive and perhaps unweildy.  They should blow thru whatever they contact though.

I agree that a cannon of some flavor would be good, maybe even two of them, but there are few armies inclined to jump into melee with a list like this whether you have a cannon or not.  I don't think you have the points or the list options to field enough (non-magical) missile fire to force that.  Unless you could manage a pair of each cannon type, but we all know you don't roll like that.  So I don't know if I would bother if you don't have the points readily available.  You will get into close combat, and the sooner the better for you. 

Shove it all forward - they can only back up so far!

If you wanna convert 10 more of those guys I'll buy 'em off you and paint them myself... I agree the GW ones are pretty weak, definitely the weakest models in the list.

I wanted to take some variety in the Warriors equipment, but my preference for the Chosen models forces me to go with halbs... I think they'll function fine but I would have preferred variety I think.

My hope is that between the MSU build (which means my combat blocks can't reliably take a charge in the face and win) and the hounds (which I've got 20 of coming for 4 units of 5 max or whatever) and the Furies, it will be an interesting charge/countercharge game.  I hope I'm understanding the Frenzy rules correctly, in that I assume that if my own unit (e.g. of Hounds or Furies) is in my way, I don't have to test for Frenzy, but if the blocking unit declares a charge, I do.  So if that's right, I think the game will still be pretty tactical, not just "shove it forward".  Anyway most games I can tell who has to come at whom just by looking at the lists... in my case, it'll always be me ;)

I also think the Skullcannons would be fantastic fit for this army because of their usefulness after combat starts.  I just don't dig the models.  If I get desperate I can always convert something based on the Chaos Chariot and a cannon barrel with some Bloodletter crew, but in the meanwhile I'm gonna try without first.

I made a Skullcannon out of a Corpse Cart, a Maulerfiend cannon, converted steed, and some 'letters.  I brought it to BSB, but I don't personally have any pictures of it.  Really not that difficult of a conversion and pretty fun to do a well.

Thanks for the info!

If you get around to snapping a few photos on your cell, I've PM'd you my email and would love to see 'em!

As usual I'm just the devil's-advocate and fluff monkey. So I'll cast a vote for skipping cannons. I think Khornate warriors have no patience for powder ratios and windage. I think the whole crew is tripping over itself to get the whacks in. 

I haven't played chaos much but I have played against your brets and I think this army is more fun with a limited tool kit and a commitment to controlling the field with charge arcs. You want to charge. You need to charge. Ranged firepower is like the evil voice in your ear that says other options are on the table.