Random House Rules

WestRider

This is also only in regards to Squad Leader types. Things like Honour Guard, Vanguard Vets, or Chaos/SW Terminators, where most or all of the Squad will have some sort of Power Weapon change the equation considerably too. This is one of the places I find the Power Maul to really come into its own, when it'll let you pile on the S6 Attacks in quantities much greater than you could with Krak Grenades. Then have a couple of Swords/Axes/Fists or whatever for more specialized purposes.

I'd also note that the Power Sword is only better than the Maul against 3+ Armour. Yes, that's probably the single most common Save in the Game, but still, there are plenty of situations where you're hitting some other Armour Save, and then the two are exactly the same except for the +2 S on the Maul.

I'm not really talking about mass power weapons, though I do see your point.

Regarding which is better, the key point is what has 3+ armor and what has 4+ or worse armor?

Though in terms of high strength for MEQ, the Maul 3/5ths of a power fist and I'd much rather take power fists than power mauls. Even if I swing last, S8 ap2 will have better results. Plus, most things a marine is worried about will swing before them anyway.

Now, for GEQ, that maul is very close to the same thing as a power fist and it's cheaper, so I totally see the logic there. Also, the lower your base initiative, the more impressive that concussive rule is.

And regarding them in mass, I play DA. If we need power weapons in mass, it will be either TH+SS terminators, Mace+SS knights (mace is still +2 S and smite, but is now base ap3), or just stock power fist terminators.

I understand if one of the lesser marine chapters needs to kit out their honor guard to make up for the failings of their terminator selections....(totally kidding on the arrogance).

It's not just about 4+ and worse Armour. It's also about 2+ Armour. Both a Sword and a Maul bounce off that, so it's all about forcing as many Saves as possible, and the Maul does that better.

When I'm running Marines, the main place where I'm worried about stuff that's striking after me is other Unwieldy Units. Like your dudes with Fists or Hammers. If I can take a few of them out before they strike, that's substantially less damage that I'm going to take in return.

• Like 1

I've been seeing some more discussion about toe-in Cover around, and a number of solutions that seem kind of awkward. The simplest to me seems to just be adding one word: For Terrain that allows Cover simply for being within it, the Model's Base must be entirely within the Terrain Piece. Not just for GCs, have it apply to everything. It will just have progressively more effect as Models (and their Bases) get bigger, which feels entirely appropriate.

I've been seeing some more discussion about toe-in Cover around, and a number of solutions that seem kind of awkward. The simplest to me seems to just be adding one word: For Terrain that allows Cover simply for being within it, the Model's Base must be entirely within the Terrain Piece. Not just for GCs, have it apply to everything. It will just have progressively more effect as Models (and their Bases) get bigger, which feels entirely appropriate.

Having played through the vast majority of 5th edition playing tyranids, with rules for cover being damn near impossible to get for MCS, all of the changes like this are such a heavy nerf to bugs that I simply wouldn't bother to bring them to a tournament setting any longer. It's so easy to see these things happening against you and get upset, but when you're the bug player who has to just remove their entire army to shooting by turn 3 because you cannot get cover saves I would venture to say that the bug player is getting the worse of the 2 situations.

Between Malanthropes and the greater ease of getting Cover from Obscurement (25% vs.50%), I figure it wouldn't be nearly so painful these days.

25% of these huge models now is still exceedingly difficult to manage, and shrouded doesn't do any more than the 5th edition Venomthrope did then if you can't get cover from terrain. On multiple occasions I lost an entire 1850 list in 2-3 shooting phases to DE, IG, and SW. Firepower is much greater in the current meta than it was then. A 5+ cover save with zero access to invulnerable saves and psychic reliance to get FnP is just not going to function.

Gargoyles will provide Cover to basically anything short of a Hierophant, I think. And other than the Dimacheron, I don't actually see anyone using any of the huge new Nid Models even with toe-in Cover. It's pretty much all Flyrants and DakkaFexen and little stuff. Maybe Mawlocs, but they're (literally) pretty hit or miss when it comes to landing in Cover anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...

Allow Cultist Champions to be upgraded to Lvl 1 Psykers with access to specific summoning spells.

Not with the Mark of Khorne, tho, of course.

I'd actually like to see a bunch more options for Culties. Shotguns as basic weapons, Grenade Launchers as specials, Bolt Pistols/Bolters for Champions, maybe even some "lite" Power Weapons (S: User AP4, 5 Points), or something like that for the Champs. Maybe some sort of Mutation upgrades as well as the Marks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Trazyn the Infinite

For the Collection: In any Mission involving controlling Objective Markers, after placing the Objectives, randomly generate one of them. Trazyn the Infinite and any Unit he has Joined gain Objective Secured while controlling that Objective. In addition, if Trazyn or his Unit control that Objective at the end of the Game, you score 1 additional VP.

• Like 1

Alternately:

Ah, Another Piece for the Collection!: Trazyn the Infinite (but not any unit he has joined) has the Objective Secured rule. If Trazyn ends his movement phase in base contact with an objective, he may choose to pick it up exactly as though it were The Relic (p.XX), including all the restrictions therein. Trazyn cannot pass such an objective to another model.

• Like 1

If your 6" per turn movement can get you to three or four objective markers, I think you should be allowed to pick them all up.

Putting some anti-Deep Strike text in there would probably be good. Maybe something like "If Trazyn is removed from the battlefield for any reason, place the objective markers on the ground (and not within 1" of each other) as close as possible to his original position."

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

SkullCrushers of Khorne: 175 Points for 3, including a Champion with an extra Attack and point of Ld.

WS BS S T A I W Ld Sv

5 4 4 5 2 4 2 8 3+

Unit Type: Cavalry

Special Rules: Mark of Khorne, Daemon of Khorne, Fearless, BftBG, SftST (Champion only)

Equipment: As Berzerkers

Options:

- Add up to 5 more SkullCrushers at 55 Points each

- One Model may exchange their CCW for a Power Weapon for 10 Points or a Power Fist for 20 Points, OR may exchange their CCW and Bolt Pistol for a pair of Lightning Claws for 20 Points. If the Unit numbers 8 Models, a second Model may take one of these options.

- One Model may exchange their Bolt Pistol for a Plasma Pistol for +10 Points or a Hand Flamer for +10 Points. If the Unit numbers 8 Models, a second Model may take one of these options.

- Any Model may replace their CCW with a Chain Axe for +2 Points.

- Standard Champion options.

- Icon of Wrath +5 Points.

Basically just Berzerkers on Juggernauts, plus a few tweaks that I think Berzerkers should get anyhow, and the Icon of Wrath is way cheaper because all it does here is add +1 to their Combat Res.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Replace the Blue Horrors Rule in the Pink Horrors of Tzeentch entry with the following:

Whenever a Pink Horror is slain or otherwise removed from play (except as a result of a failed Daemonic Instability Test), place a Blue Horror Token next to the Unit. At the end of the Phase, put 2 Blue Horrors in play for each Blue Horror Token. If there is an existing Unit of Blue Horrors within 6" of the Pink Horror Unit, the new Models may be added to it, placed anywhere in coherency, within 6" of the Pink Horror Unit, and more than 1" from enemy Models. If not, or if you wish to create a new Unit, simply place the Blue Horrors anywhere within 6" of the Pink Horror Unit, more than 1" from any enemy Models, and more than 2" from any Unit of friendly Blue Horrors you do not wish them to become part of. If at some point it becomes impossible to place Models according to these restrictions, the remaining Blue Horrors are lost. If the Pink Horror Unit is completely wiped out, leave a marker where the last Pink Horror was until the end of the Phase, and place the Blue Horrors within 6" of the marker instead, subject to the other restrictions above.

Blue Horrors have the following statline (underscores are just an attempt to make the spacing work out right):

WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv

1 __ 2_ 1 2_ 1 1 1_ 7 -

They have the Brotherhood of Sorcerers, Daemon of Tzeentch, and Daemonic Instability Special Rules. However, the only Psychic Power they ever know is Flickering Fire of Tzeentch, and they can never attempt to manifest it at ML3. Furthermore, if there are 10 or fewer Models in the Unit, they generate no Warp Charge, tho the Unit is still considered a Psyker in all other regards.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...