Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

9 hours ago, paxmiles said:

I feel old. I really have no idea what you are talking about.

James Gunn did Guardians of Galaxy. He was fired for edgy jokes he made handful of years ago, that he already almost lost the job for then. 

Victor Salva recorded himself molesting a minor, whom he molested multiple times. Convicted child molester, and Disney hired him to do Powder. 

Also, I'm 35, how old are you?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Duckman said:

Them's the hazards of using bags of white powder.  Do you owe anyone for the white powder or is this a personal loss?

It would have been personal. Fortunately, the problem was that I was looking for a bag, and had forgotten that I'd moved it into a different container ;)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, WestRider said:

Just a plastic tub. But still, like my favourite of those fuzzy text tshirts from the 90s said, "only users lose drugs" XD

In all seriousness, it was snow effect flock, just in case anyone missed the joke.

I always hide that in my sinuses. It's more valuable than cocaine for Christ's sake!

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/unusual-baby-names-parents-picked-100-years-ago_us_5ac7d36be4b07a3485e4a032

Got a kick out of this one^

It's a list of names which, in 1918, were given to people. Article is focused on names that just didn't make it for various reasons.

For example, 13 boys in 1918 were named Nimrod....

Without clicking the link....

Nimrod is Hebrew for "against god" so.....?

• Sad 1

Again, Nimrod is Hebrew for "against god." Lazy sods want to use it as an insult, saying someone is an idiot, do so in such a way as to be relatable to "gay means stupid in the modern lexicon." 

Nimrod was a mythical figure who was a great hunter, which is why modern myth creators (comics, books, etc) utilize him as an archetype, much like Ahab.

And in 1918, Nimrod was still a great hunter.  I'd imagine, considering the great war, that numerous of those children were given their name "cuz against all odds, we having this baby, in your face, god!" "By George, that's it, my dear Eureka! We'll call the baby boy Nimrod!" -Nimrods dad, probably 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Again, Nimrod is Hebrew for "against god." Lazy sods want to use it as an insult, saying someone is an idiot, do so in such a way as to be relatable to "gay means stupid in the modern lexicon." 

Nimrod was a mythical figure who was a great hunter, which is why modern myth creators (comics, books, etc) utilize him as an archetype, much like Ahab.

And in 1918, Nimrod was still a great hunter.  I'd imagine, considering the great war, that numerous of those children were given their name "cuz against all odds, we having this baby, in your face, god!" "By George, that's it, my dear Eureka! We'll call the baby boy Nimrod!" -Nimrods dad, probably 

That's interesting. I've only heard Nimrod used as an insult. And in context, it was just an alternate for moron or stupid. Thanks for explaining it.

Though I've been called out for using that "sods" one (which you used above). Really offended some mod of a uk based site. We straightened it out. Apparently it means this:

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/20372/speaking-of-insults-sod-off-meaning-and-origin

On 8/3/2018 at 3:43 PM, InfestedKerrigan said:

Increased solar storms may contribute to depression, and male suicides.

Got a source? Been depressed lately and I'd love to blame it on the sun.

10 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

@Romans832 google geomagnetic storms and depression. NIH has studies showing the correlation. 

Thank you, I've never heard of this.

Thanks for sharing!

9 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

That's interesting. I've only heard Nimrod used as an insult. And in context, it was just an alternate for moron or stupid. Thanks for explaining it.

Though I've been called out for using that "sods" one (which you used above). Really offended some mod of a uk based site. We straightened it out. Apparently it means this:

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/20372/speaking-of-insults-sod-off-meaning-and-origin

I haven't heard nimrod used as an insult in ages *gulp* age alert...

Wow, haven't hear SODS either forever and a day...

3 minutes ago, Romans832 said:

I haven't heard nimrod used as an insult in ages *gulp* age alert...

TV shows making fun of older eras seem to like this particular word as an insult. Three stooges type insult.

I heard an anecdote that links the 'Nimrod' decent to insult to Elmer Fudd. In one episode, Bugs Bunny called Elmer Fudd a 'Nimrod' as a reference to his hunting, however it was interpreted as an insult to his intelligence... not sure if it *started* there, but I'll bet it had an impact.

• Like 1