Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

I mostly agree with the driving philosophy of "slow and safe" (even if I don't always adhere to it), but the exception is merging into the freeway.

There is nothing safe about entering a 60 mph zone while traveling 40 mph. It especially drives me insane when people choose to do this rather than use the full length of the merge lane.

I wonder how many accidents are caused per year because think they are being safe by accelerating gradually and entering the freeway before theyre up to speed.

Follow up: do any of these people realize they are risking lives by being "safe"?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Munkie said:

I mostly agree with the driving philosophy of "slow and safe" (even if I don't always adhere to it), but the exception is merging into the freeway.

There is nothing safe about entering a 60 mph zone while traveling 40 mph. It especially drives me insane when people choose to do this rather than use the full length of the merge lane.

I wonder how many accidents are caused per year because think they are being safe by accelerating gradually and entering the freeway before theyre up to speed.

Follow up: do any of these people realize they are risking lives by being "safe"?

Are you familiar with the European Zipper method?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It basically equates to using common sense on the road, specifically at mergers. It teaches cars should behave like a zipper whenever traffic is merging. Most common example is 2 lanes becoming 1. Here, people tend to get over and form these obnoxiously long lines that defeat the purpose of engineering the roads in a fashion to alleviate congestion. Then, they get all road ragey for you using the lanes as designed, which is traffic folding together like a zipper, maintaining speed, just adusting spacing between vehicles to allow for it.

I spend a lot of time on the road. I've been pulled over for my "aggressive driving" a half dozen times this summer, and not a single ticket, as I'm following traffic laws, unlike so many drivers. This creates a false illusion of my breaking the law. It's amusing. 

I've came pretty close to making signs for my vehicles to hold up in order to better communicate with individals who fail to understand the simple concept of driving.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

It basically equates to using common sense on the road, specifically at mergers. It teaches cars should behave like a zipper whenever traffic is merging. Most common example is 2 lanes becoming 1. Here, people tend to get over and form these obnoxiously long lines that defeat the purpose of engineering the roads in a fashion to alleviate congestion. Then, they get all road ragey for you using the lanes as designed, which is traffic folding together like a zipper, maintaining speed, just adusting spacing between vehicles to allow for it.

I spend a lot of time on the road. I've been pulled over for my "aggressive driving" a half dozen times this summer, and not a single ticket, as I'm following traffic laws, unlike so many drivers. This creates a false illusion of my breaking the law. It's amusing. 

I've came pretty close to making signs for my vehicles to hold up in order to better communicate with individals who fail to understand the simple concept of driving.

I often wonder if the drivers were able to (or forced to) communicate with the other drivers, if they would drive better. Does often seem like the major issue on the road is that no one has more than a clue of what anyone else is trying to do. 

3 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

It basically equates to using common sense on the road, specifically at mergers. It teaches cars should behave like a zipper whenever traffic is merging. Most common example is 2 lanes becoming 1.

I was just being silly, but I do get the concept. The issue I have is the zipper method doesn't work if the speeds are drastically different. 

Essentially, people seem believe slow and steady is synonymous with safe. It often is safe, but sometimes it's very, very unsafe. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Munkie said:

I was just being silly, but I do get the concept. The issue I have is the zipper method doesn't work if the speeds are drastically different. 

Essentially, people seem believe slow and steady is synonymous with safe. It often is safe, but sometimes it's very, very unsafe. 

This is a SciFi example, but a book I read had a bit about how (in that future), self-driving cars had originally held strictly to the speed limit, but it was changed when that was found to cause more accidents when there were also actual human drivers on the road, and they were updated to match the speed of the traffic around them. Like I said, it's a speculative example, but it seems right on the button to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WestRider said:

This is a SciFi example, but a book I read had a bit about how (in that future), self-driving cars had originally held strictly to the speed limit, but it was changed when that was found to cause more accidents when there were also actual human drivers on the road, and they were updated to match the speed of the traffic around them. Like I said, it's a speculative example, but it seems right on the button to me.

Adaptive technology being the appropriate progression?!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Disney is trash. Hiring Victor Salva to do Powder is exponentially worse than keeping James Gunn on. Absolutely horrid garbage. 

I feel old. I really have no idea what you are talking about.

7 hours ago, WestRider said:

I'm having trouble continuing with a project semi-related to my Slaanesh OFCC Army because I've misplaced a large bag of white powder.

Them's the hazards of using bags of white powder.  Do you owe anyone for the white powder or is this a personal loss?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1