Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

2 hours ago, Munkie said:

It drives me insane when characters in movies claim to be "zoo-oligists." It's zoologist. Zo-ologist. Zo as in zodiac.

You don't study zoos, you study animals. Now please, continue establishing yourself as a believable character with credible information. 

Except that both pronounciations are considered equally correct. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Did you watch that [big bad swear word]ty marky mark movie with the zoo or something?

Alien: Covenant and Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle in the past week. There was something else recently too, but I forgot. I don't think I've ever heard it pronounced correctly in a movie. 

I'm all for the mutability of the English language, it's the best feature of English. Not a fan of changes that come because people get it wrong so often that it becomes accepted. 

Irregardless and literally (meaning figuratively) are both accepted recent changes to English. There's a big difference between Shakespeare inventing the word "eyeball" and the general inertia of stupidity behind some changes. 

Zoooooooooology is a change born of stupidity, not creativity. 

• Haha 2

On 9/8/2018 at 8:49 AM, Munkie said:

Alien: Covenant and Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle in the past week. There was something else recently too, but I forgot. I don't think I've ever heard it pronounced correctly in a movie. 

I'm all for the mutability of the English language, it's the best feature of English. Not a fan of changes that come because people get it wrong so often that it becomes accepted. 

Irregardless and literally (meaning figuratively) are both accepted recent changes to English. There's a big difference between Shakespeare inventing the word "eyeball" and the general inertia of stupidity behind some changes. 

Zoooooooooology is a change born of stupidity, not creativity. 

Kev needs to be in the next Jurassic World.

Chris Pratt: "So, Dr Munkie, as a zoo-ologist, what is your opinion?"

Munkie: "I know nothing about 'zoos' you ignorant twit but as a ZO-ologist I suggest AAAAHHHH..." ( gets eaten by a giant crocodile)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Etymologically, Zooology came first, zoological came soon after, and Zoo didn't show up until almost 200 years later. The Oxford English Dictionary lists /zuːˈɒlədʒi/ as the preferred pronunciation, with /zəʊˈɒlədʒi/ as an alternative and acceptable pronunciation. The ultimate root may have been the Greek ζῷον (zoion), which would have a more distinct zo- sound, but English didn't take the word straight from the Greeks. We took it in the mid 17th Century from the Modern Latin zoologia. So the modern English pronunciation should follow the same rules as most other words adopted around that time. 

The word "zoo," referring to a place in which you keep and display animals,  wasn't coined until 1847, as a shorthand way to describe the Zoological Gardens of the London Zoological Society which had been established 1828 in Regent's Park to house the society's collection of wild animals.

So it is indeed zoo-, as in "who," and not zo- as in "no." 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ish said:

Etymologically, Zooology came first, zoological came soon after, and Zoo didn't show up until almost 200 years later. The Oxford English Dictionary lists /zuːˈɒlədʒi/ as the preferred pronunciation, with /zəʊˈɒlədʒi/ as an alternative and acceptable pronunciation. The ultimate root may have been the Greek ζῷον (zoion), which would have a more distinct zo- sound, but English didn't take the word straight from the Greeks. We took it in the mid 17th Century from the Modern Latin zoologia. So the modern English pronunciation should follow the same rules as most other words adopted around that time. 

The word "zoo," referring to a place in which you keep and display animals,  wasn't coined until 1847, as a shorthand way to describe the Zoological Gardens of the London Zoological Society which had been established 1828 in Regent's Park to house the society's collection of wild animals.

So it is indeed zoo-, as in "who," and not zo- as in "no." 

So we've been pronouncing zoodiac and protozooa wrong all this time? 

• Haha 1

Nope. Those come directly from the Greek and from Ancient Latin, respectively.

English isn’t the only language to have had a vowel shift and linguistic drift, it happened in Latin too. Modern Latin, Ecclesiastical Latin, Ancient Latin, and numerous less well known dialects all sound distinctly different. Pope Francis and Julius Cæsar could probably understand each other in conversation, but  both would be appalled by the other’s grammar, syntax, and accent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Ish said:

Nope. Those come directly from the Greek and from Ancient Latin, respectively.

English isn’t the only language to have had a vowel shift and linguistic drift, it happened in Latin too. Modern Latin, Ecclesiastical Latin, Ancient Latin, and numerous less well known dialects all sound distinctly different. Pope Francis and Julius Cæsar could probably understand each other in conversation, but  both would be appalled by the other’s grammar, syntax, and accent.

All his flesh rotting away wouldn't help JC any, either. [big bad swear word]ing zombies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1