Circular Debates over Assault Rules - Was: New C:SM Stuff

pretre

Suppressing Fusillade – A unit targeted by a Skyhammer Annihilation Force’s Devastator Squad in the Shooting phase must take a Morale test at the end of the phase on 3D6, regardless of how many casualties were inflicted. If the test is failed, the enemy unit does not Fall Back, but must immediately Go to Ground. If the test is passed, the enemy unit is unable to fire Overwatch for the rest of the turn.

So if I am reading this correctly the targeted unit/units must make a morale test even if no models are killed?

Really stupid wording on the rule. As written, units immune to going to ground, but with low leadership (like bikes without a squad leader), are actually better off than units with fearless or high leadership (like a chaplain attached to a tactical squad).

I really hope this one is a typo or they FAQ it to not affect fearless units. They really should have called it a leadership check, as that would create less issues in the rules.

On a side note, it will be horribly broken against AM with a commissar, and seems to still cause morale checks to force units to go to ground even if they went to ground as a response to your shooting....

Though on the balance end of things, you have to include 10 devastators that most players don't bring (the other 5 bolter marines in each devastator squad), so it really isn't free.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I purchased the web bundle. Will copy the sheet for all

Thank you I need more pods and devestators, but have more than enough assault squads. Bundle was tempting but not necessary.

I think I'm going to sell my tau and up my marine and AM armies, for the imperium.

Really stupid wording on the rule. As written, units immune to going to ground, but with low leadership (like bikes without a squad leader), are actually better off than units with fearless or high leadership (like a chaplain attached to a tactical squad).

I really hope this one is a typo or they FAQ it to not affect fearless units. They really should have called it a leadership check, as that would create less issues in the rules.

On a side note, it will be horribly broken against AM with a commissar, and seems to still cause morale checks to force units to go to ground even if they went to ground as a response to your shooting....

Fearless units auto-pass morale and are immune to this rule.

Units containing one or more models with the Fearless special rule

automatically pass Pinning, Fear and Regroup tests and Morale checks, but

cannot Go to Ground and cannot choose to fail a Morale check due to the Our

Weapons are Useless rule. If a unit has Gone to Ground and then gains the

Fearless special rule, all the effects of Going to Ground are immediately

cancelled.

Also, obviously it doesn't force you to G2G again. YOu're already there. It does force you to not fire overwatch though.

Another question. I heard sentinels of terra supplement got an update silently. Can i use it with the new costs and options etc but still be granted close order bolter drill in the stead of bolter drill

I don't have it, but it does apparently work with the new book. Dig around and you can probably find the changes.

Fearless units auto-pass morale and are immune to this rule.

Read it again. As written, Fearless units cannot fire overwatch if shot at by the devastators in this formation. They are penalized for being able to automatically pass their morale check. They are not immune to the rule.

He ends up part of the unit and benefits from their rules. See every rules discussion ever.

Except that the rules are not unit rules, they are formation rules. The formation requires exactly 2 assault squads and 2 devastator squads (in drop pods).

It does not say 2 assault squads and any attached characters you want.

How have you concluded that formations may include additional models or units?

Or rather, do detachment special rules apply to units/models from other detachments? It is the same situation.

PS: Formation rules are on page 121 in that black column and are specified as a detachment type. Detachment rules start on page 118.

He ends up part of the unit and benefits from their rules. See every rules discussion ever.

So, re-read the IC rules:

Special rules

When an independent character joins a unit, it might have different special rules from those of the unit. Unless specified in the rule itself (as in the Stubborn special rule), the unit's special rules are not conferred upon the Independent Character, and the Independent Character's Special rules are not conferred upon the unit. Special rules that apply to the unit only apply for as long as the Independent Character is with them.

Stubborn was their example, so had to look that up

When a unit that contains at least one model with this special rule....

So, even if the formation rules allow your IC to join them, the IC won't benefit from the formation rules unless they word it like stubborn (above).

I think that is in regards to USRs specially but could be mistaken. Although i would like to see the BRB quote for this.

It is. I'm mostly leaving this conversation be though. Pax is right about USRs but wrong about this rule . I may come back to it Monday when I can get to rules quotes.