Post-Apocalyptic Terrain

Gailbraithe

This is a C&P of a post I made to Lead Adventure, and that Jim suggest I post here:

I'm building a post-apocalyptic town!  I'm playtesting a set of post-apocalyptic rules I've written, and to help set the mood for games I need a board full of post-apocalyptic collapse.  I'm loosely basing the town, Last Exit, on some of the small farming towns around me.  I've started with a bunch of Plasticville o Scale scenics.

First up is the local watering hole, a neutral ground where different factions can meet to negotiate and settle differences.  It's the Plasticville Diner with some pipe doodads from the Pegasus Chemical Plant set.  It still needs new signage, some more paint and basing. 
hHIZeVm.jpg 

Second is the Hanger, which is going to be part of a ruined airfield on the outskirts of town, and the headquarters of Burners faction.  The Burners are neo-primitives who have reverted to a tribal lifestyle.  This one is easy, it's just the Plasticville Hanger with a paint job.
qziL0Mj.jpg

Third is Militia HQ, a Plasticville Split-Level House converted into a fortified bunker for the New Cascadia Militia.  The NCM is the closest thing to a government in the area, and tries its best to keep any of the gangs of marauders from destroying what's left of Last Exit.  I've included some pre-priming photos as well. 

Front:
wydwp5x.jpg 

Back:
9sFFFZL.jpg

Interior, Upper-Level:
X4PKb9x.jpg

Unprimed:
8wcEhe7.jpg

Fourth is the Blockhouse, a Plasticville Apartment converted into another fortified bunker -- complete with machine gun nest -- that is used as the headquarters of the Sons of the Apocalypse, a biker gang that operates out of Last Exit.

Front:
ip9wVrn.jpg

Back:
WTL0xT5.jpg

Unprimed:
uUabiI2.jpg

Fifth, the Homestead, representing one of the many small family farms that struggles to eke out an existence in the dying soil of the post-apocalypse.  It's the Plasticville Two Story House with some more bits from the chemical plant box.
p9keoDl.jpg

There's even more to come:
hpHafny.jpg

• Like 7

Okay, so finished up the last bits of the Militia HQ, which meant fixing the flag, finishing the garage door, and weathering the chimney topper:

gM1JAIV.jpg

And now when you open the garage, there is a surprise inside: a Bate's Digester, which converts animal waste into methane gas and provides power to the HQ and its vehicles.

qim493d.jpg

And some interior detailing: fireplace, comfy chair, and an office for the Militia Commander.

iTAF108.jpg

I also finished a trailer home.  The set comes with three, and this is the first I finished.  This one is someone's home:

uz4A4aF.jpg

yvIc7XT.jpg

• Like 4

The mesh on the front is one of my favorite products.  It's a sculpture form mesh sold in art stores that comes in a silver color.  It's thin enough that you can cut it with scissors, but holds its shape really well, especially when given a little bit of support.  With the diamond pattern,  I think it looks great as scale chainlink fencing.

I think my favorite detail, which I doubt most people even noticed, is that the metal barricades and reinforcements are all from a scrapped Burlington-Northern boxcar.

Building looks great, but the mesh bugs me. I like the mesh, just seems like it should have some staples or something that "attaches" it to the building. I know, petty.

But, that building does look great.