Heretic Librarius Conclave and Order of Events

InfestedKerrigan

Librarius Conclave, hands down. Being able to cast Summoning with almost 60% success while only rolling 3 dice is amazing. As well as the fact that you can use different Librarians as "focus" for the Conclave, so you can make the dude with useless powers (there always seems to be one) risk all the Perils until he bites it.

The "best" Imperial summoner is easily the Librarius Conclave, particularly when led by Tigurius. The ability to harness warp charges on a 2+ allows you to roll a minimal number of dice and thus limit your chances of suffering a Perils result (as well as making best use of the finite number of dice you have available.) Since there are no other requirements for taking the formation, it functionally has zero tax on it- however, you likely want to have at least some kind of "attendant" squad for the characters to attach to,

Short of that, I think that the Primaris Psyker (IG) is your best bet. He's cheap, expendable, and has just as many wounds as any other Imperial psyker does, so he'll be able to manage a similar number of total summonings before being eaten. However, generating sufficient warp charge to power him is a bit trickier- you'll probably want to consider Inquisitional elements in order to bring along enough additional dice to do things.

• Like 1

What Imperial Codex does Daemon Summoning the best?  Who can do the most summoning?  Who can do the most effective summoning?  What kind of taxes are we looking at, and was that a part of your consideration when considering the Psyker?

Depends, main issue for imperial armies is getting both the warp charges AND the daemonology access in a single list. Very likely, a successful daemon summoning imperial army will require a summoning detachment and a warp charge generating detachment.

GK certainly have the greatest potential for warp charge generation, despite being unable to personally conjure daemons. Any daemon summoning imperial army would benefit from the presence of GK allies.

AM are probably the best for cheap psyker access, as even an allied detachment can boast and impressive number of psykers (command squad with level 1 telepath, wyrdvane psyker squad, and 3 primaris psykers)

BA have the best FNP access, which in turn, means the best resistance to the actual perils rolls, as FNP functions against perils. They are also the only imperial army with psyker vehicles (psychic dreadnoughts) other than GK flyers with a lucky roll on flyer ace table.

Both DA and SM have their own versions of the Librarius Conclave, but both are about the same as I understand, it just changes the wargear, chapter tactic, and special character access. The more generic armies have rather average psyker access (only via HQs).

SW has some potential, if only for the additional HQs allowed in their detachments.

Codex INQ could work for summoning, but they don't have the warp charge access high enough to realistically spam any summoning.

I don't think admech, sisters, militatium tempestus, imperial knights, or the assassitorium actually have any psykers.

On a side note, if fielding daemons anyway, the best faction for daemon summoning is most certainly codex daemons, tzeentch in particular. At 2k a local player fielded 30-ish warp charges, and that included a rather overpriced Fortress of Redemption. My GK were quite outmatched in terms of psychic defense.

It would be a component of my Knight Army, so that conclave, being what 3-5 models, and pumpable casting is pretty tempting.  Low Model count.  Are there restrictions on taking Jump Packs, Bikes or Terminator Armor if taking a Libby as a part of that formation?

Not sure on the SM version, but the DA version requires Ezekiel who is in Artificer armor without jump pack or bike.

The SM Librarius Conclave has no restrictions. The DA one, unless it's changed, requires Ezekiel, which is a pretty significant limitation. It also (again, unless it's changed and I haven't seen it) only harnesses Warp Charge on 3+, instead of the 2+ that a SM Conclave does.

Good to know.

DA version is Eziekel and 2-4 psykers.

DA version also boosts the range of Intromancy "Mind Worm" power to double range. When printed, the power was exclusive to Eziekel, but has since been updated as the primaris for the DA discipline. This increases the range from 12" to 24".

This thread actually got me to re-read it, and I'm going to have to field this one. The current mindworm is awesome, being S6 ap2 ignores cover, but suffers from lacking range. It's focused witchfire which causes permanent reductions to WS, BS, I, and Ld with any unsaved wounds (-3 to all listed stats).

Ok so I will mimic the generic marine one is better for all reasons listed but I think Inquisition support with those little 10 point psykers could be a great boost in warp charges.

An important note with the codex INQ is that those 10pt psykers have the Brotherhood of Psykers rule, which means that including more than one per squad will not add further warp charges.

Yeah, but you can still fill out with Acolytes and get extra WC for 18 Points each. Pretty sure it's the cheapest way to pick up WC in the Game.

Cheapest, yes, though the INQ detachment is severely limited in slots (2 HQ and 3 elites, with henchmen being elites). Inquisitiors, other than coteaz(lvl2), are capped at level 1, so the entire detachment is only able to generate 6 warp charges at maximum (including coteaz). So, while they are cheap, they also can't bring much in terms warp charges if you have a limit on the number of detachments you can bring, especially if your event bans duplicate detachments.

GK or AM are the ones you'd want to spam WC beyond 6. That Conclave might work too.

On a side note, ITC voted to allow the FW chaos knights into the ITC rules, so rather than fielding questionable daemon summoning allies, why not include a chaos army to summon your daemons and have allied chaos knights? Just saying.

Another side note, the point is to summon daemons, not to provide psychic defense for those knights, right? AM, CSM, CD, and INQ all lack psychic hood access, which is the best psychic defense option for your Imperial knights.

Yeah, Pax, I'm looking at Summoning, not defense, as my primary intent on taking Psykers.  The Chaos Knight problem for me is being restricted to one Knight Paladin or Errant.  I don't want to play Daemons with Knight Support.  I would want to do Knights with Daemon support.  

The Conclave doesn't form a super unit unless you join them, right?  They are ICs that have a buff when within 12" of other models in the formation?  I could only take one Conclave, though.  Those points wouldn't eat up all say 600-700 points I'm looking at playing with, right?  So I could include an INQ detachment as well, to add more WC to the mix.

• Like 1

5 Level 2 Libbies would be 450 points before upgrades.  Maybe taking just the Conclave and not taking any Inquisitorial Forces would be ideal.  Give them all Bikes and Storm Shields.  That'd be 600 points, roughly.  Plus the Acheron, Castigator and Crusader, should put me right around 1850.  Room for some Combi-Weapons, I'm sure.

The "best" Imperial summoner is easily the Librarius Conclave, particularly when led by Tigurius. The ability to harness warp charges on a 2+ allows you to roll a minimal number of dice and thus limit your chances of suffering a Perils result (as well as making best use of the finite number of dice you have available.) Since there are no other requirements for taking the formation, it functionally has zero tax on it- however, you likely want to have at least some kind of "attendant" squad for the characters to attach to,

Short of that, I think that the Primaris Psyker (IG) is your best bet. He's cheap, expendable, and has just as many wounds as any other Imperial psyker does, so he'll be able to manage a similar number of total summonings before being eaten. However, generating sufficient warp charge to power him is a bit trickier- you'll probably want to consider Inquisitional elements in order to bring along enough additional dice to do things.

Wouldn't attaching them to the squad severely restrict my ability to summon, only being able to cast a given spell once per turn at that point? 

Wouldn't attaching them to the squad severely restrict my ability to summon, only being able to cast a given spell once per turn at that point? 

That's gonna be an issue with the Conclave regardless, since they have to all join their powers to harness WC on 2+, which means that the dude chosen as the focus counts as the caster for all purposes, regardless of whether or not they're in a single Unit. They're only giving you one casting of Summoning per Turn, but it's a very reliable one, and you've got pretty good odds of picking up Incursion as well.

The way I read it, the others get to cast, but they have to be the last psykers to Cast during my turn.  So if I had the 4 Conclave within 12 of each other, boost the Chosen One, cast his power, and then cast with the other 3, my GK Libbies wouldn't be able to cast.

post-1378-0-19373900-1445014316.png

It is pretty straight forward.

If they were not meant to use their abilities until your next turn it would say that.  It doesn't.

post-1378-0-19373900-1445014316_thumb.png