Has anyone purchased a "Start Collecting" box yet?

thinking about going over the GW store after work - that Skatarii (sp) box seems like the perfect combo for the Imperial Knights I got on trade… at least thematically.

-d

Indeed,,I don't know much about Skitarii but ive read that their collecting box is one of the best in game use terms.

Im holding off on 40k stuff to see what their Eldar starter is,,,I need at least one more box of Guardians for my Battlehost and im sure it will at least have that,,well I hope,heh.

hmmm I am just cleaning through a bunch of my eldar - ( I have way to much old stuff and trade stuff)… I have a few bags of guardians - how many are you looking for?  these would be primed and put together - with some bits if needed.  Just have a bunch - I am planning on liquidating them soon.  

-d

I don't believe that the Empire Knights included the "hairy head" Middenheim sprue when bundled in a battalion box - correct me if I'm wrong

That one's kind of an odd case, because that extra sprue was created separately from that basic Knight kit. These days, they more often do them all as one thing. I'm not entirely certain about the Blood Throne/Skull Cannon, but the way most of them are laid out on the sprue these days, it's not really possible for them to be split up like that.

You are still paying $70 for 14 models. Don't lose perspective just because its a deal by GW's standards. I was pretty tempted myself. And then I saw the stacks of models in my basement. :sad:  Nothing like hordes of models to curb your purchasing motivation.

It's 23 models... There are also 8 Drones and a Missile Pod turret ;)

But I agree, it's still too expensive. When I went digging for my Tau last weekend I discovered several new-on-sprue armies that I've yet to do anything with. At least I have some hobby time carved out for this particular box!

Eh not really. Depends on your build. One of the battalions requires 3 units of clanrats. Lots of people use the plague monks too

I said most. I like the plague monks.

Clanrats and Skaven Slaves are iffy. Giant rats and rat ogres too. Pack masters are neat, if only visually (go shock prod!).

All of the units suffer in most formats, due to being restricted to small unit sizes (only 40 models....)

If I don't use a formation stormvermin are the best. The verminus clawpack has 3 units of clanrats and 1 stormvermin

Stormvermin aren't included in their battalion box set, which is what I'm addressing.

That verminus clawpack seems iffy. I mean, I like that option to shift damage from the weapon teams to the clanrats, but I think just having more weapon teams is a more viable option there. The boost to the warlords seems nice, but he's very easy to kill given the lack of "look out sir" and the formation hurts without him. The boost to bravery for 10 models isn't really very impressive when you consider how fast they can lose models due to their low stats.

Yep going skaven fully. Should have from the start. Even playing 40k I've always watched skaven and wanted to play them.

Just need to sell these lizzies to start the fund

Two things of note:

First, the most expensive way to play a GW game is to change armies a lot. Expensive in effort, time and money.

Second, skaven are easilly one of the most demanding armies in terms of painting. So many models.

PS: I've also acquire a few skaven for my Chaos.