Oh wow! There are some old, old models in there, including a few Citadel Miniatures resin stuff that predates Forge World! Nice!

Those are called "Armorcast" models, which is why I keep saying this is an armorcast/metal army.  But, yeah, I love these old models.

Though after taking the pictures, was thinking about the models. I think I could make a pretty awesome conversion of that Haruspex into a Barbed Hierodule. The Haruspex is that unpainted one (arms and jaw bit aren't glued on that one either) . Basically, I'd saw the round claw bit off entirely, then put the serrated knife claw bit in that place, then hollow out the spot where the serrated knife bit was, and it would look like a pretty awesome cannon arm with a scything talon. Still, I'd have to deface the model for that...

First Painting test model was the Exocrine above and some legion models before that (paint scheme is going for my Legion AND the Tyranids). Decided it needed more levels and different "energy" colors, but I liked the general look. Second Test model for tyranids was the Sporocyst. Definitely sloppy, but I this level of detail is acceptable for something I'm going to have to repeat for the entire army.

Basically, paint scheme is painting every model as a fleshy unaligned chaos spawn....

post-1222-0-92147500-1475198610_thumb.jpg

post-1222-0-12524500-1475198615_thumb.jpg

post-1222-0-87160200-1475198621_thumb.jpg

post-1222-0-38758700-1475198627_thumb.jpg

Weapons and a bit of the "shell" are not painted or glue on yet, but I'll add them later. Haven't decided on the base either. It's not a bad considering that the model was unpainted when I posted the last post with pictures at 1:29pm yesterday.

Just imagine how much worse it is to transport if you actually build it as a Tyrannocyte :P

Yeah, always feel sorry for players with models like that (large models only attached to their base by undersized flimsy plastic).

Though I did have my tyranid opponent move his tyrannocyte to claim an objective 3 stories above his base, since his model was so tall...Pretty amusing.

Updates. Mentioned on another thread that I was thinking about using Metal SM models to "Weigh down" plastic spore mines and "big" spore mines. Raining outside, so the lighting is lacking in these.

Big Spore Mine and Terminator

post-1222-0-94997400-1475429439_thumb.jpg

post-1222-0-80610300-1475429444_thumb.jpg

Small Spore Mines with Space Marines

post-1222-0-35325100-1475429450_thumb.jpg

And got a Tyranid Warrior/Lictor/Prime painted.

post-1222-0-73962500-1475429606_thumb.jpg

post-1222-0-23806800-1475429610_thumb.jpg

post-1222-0-90707400-1475429614_thumb.jpg

post-1222-0-81677200-1475429619_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Got 3x 3rd ed tyranid tyrant guard (guys with the shields) which I intend to convert into shrikes.

These guys:

c2004usp0362-02.jpg

Models didn't come with the lash whip arms, but that wasn't really an issue for me. Plan is to keep the shields for future conversions and give them entirely new arms. I'm also planning to give them wings from the Legion of Everblight Harrier model, of which I own too many from the previous edition of hordes...

Harrier model (those are 30mm rounds, so small wings compared to the FW version of shrikes, but they'll fit on their base better):

harrier.png

Presently debating the legs. Model is a bit taller than normal warriors, even the warriors from that edition, and since they have wings anyway, might be practical to drop the legs from the model design and pin them as if flying.

Keep forgetting to update. Got my first Hormagant done. An irregular model, but he turned out.

post-1222-0-51282700-1478885406_thumb.jpg

post-1222-0-12384800-1478885431_thumb.jpg

post-1222-0-43699800-1478885464_thumb.jpg

post-1222-0-60844200-1478885482_thumb.jpg

If you can't tell, he's irregular because he's got OOP metal chaos spawn arms, instead of the scything talon arms the model normally has. I had the bits, and some of my Hormagants didn't have all their arm bits. I have a few others like this, though some have less tyranid looking replacements.

I've got another 17 of these to finish a home, plus a trade is going through for another 20....

A trade went through. Thank you, Chexmix, I now have 37 metal hormagaunts to paint, instead of 17....I do love the models and am very thankful for the trade, just that my unpainted tyranid model count is starting to get daunting.

Also ended up with some (4) old metal Kroxigor and an old slaan (carried version, not floating), both of which tempt me to include in this project. Also got some plastic tyranids (bag of genestealers and 3 very old warriors), which I'm on the fence about fielding in this army. Might just hang onto them to bolster apocalypse armies, just that I really like the metal army theme. Hmm... 

Hmm...

Okay, had a plastic Zoan head and a metal legged zoan without a head, now I have an oversized, bobblehead-like zoan. Metal parts were glued at a slant, which looked bad with the oversized head. So I bent his arms and converted up a cane...actually looks pretty good now. Need to paint him. 

PS: Found a great system for posting photos without a PC. Got the keyboard on the PS4's internet, as I'm typing now, but the photos were uploaded from the cell phone, since the PS4 can't do that. So I post the photos with the cell, then immediately edit the post, to make it look right. Actually works.