Help! Boardgame Playtesters Needed

JMGraham

I'm working on a game design idea to submit to the KublaCon design contest again this year, and am woefully behind in getting stuff together. With the end of the Mordheim campaign, I was hoping to get 3 to 4 brave souls to play a round of the game this coming Tuesday, 1/24? 

The prototype is currently called "Dark Curios". In it, you are a broker of occult oddities. It's part auction game and part worker placement, with a little bit of set collection. You obtain arcane artifacts through auctions, private sales, and occasional outright thievery. You can send your agents out on various tasks and can use the powers of the curios you possess to gain advantage over your opponents. Ultimately, you need to find the right collectors to which to sell your curios, in an attempt to maximize your profit. In the end, the player with the most money wins.

I eventually want to the game to take about 60 minutes, but I'd plan for 90 minutes or so for this run-through. The game has changed substantially after each playtest, and I'm hoping that it will stabilize sometime soon. I can't promise you that it will be fun, but I can promise you that I'll appreciate your feedback and time, and that you'll have the opportunity to marvel over my hand-drawn artifacts.

Anyone game?

• Like 2

I'll take a spot. Be good to get out again without having to sort out models

Cool, thanks! Does a 6:30 start time give folks enough time to get there? Or is earlier, say 6, ok? If it takes about an hour and a half, it should leave plenty of time for another board game afterwards. Speaking of which, Brad, if you and Kevin are done with your epic rap battle, do you want to get some reps of Kingmaker in?

Sweet! That's a full 4. Thanks, thanks, and thanks again!

Let's plan to start at 6:30. I'll be certain to have everything set up ahead of time. Please keep in mind this is an early playtest, as such, I reserve the right to change rules mid-game, or potentially scrap things and start again. Looking forward to it!

A thought on hidden values and cards... Multiple cards were difficult what if you have value tiers? Three different decks with differing values on them so any given curio only has a single value card. This would "Max them out" and you could change reassess to unlock power...

Through research and testing you have unlocked some of the curios occult origins and power increase its value tier by one.

Then add a bribe assessor to reduce a curios value tier by one.

Lowest tier has smaller values and less chance of a curse...

Mid tier starts just below highest card of the lowest tier but has an increased chance of curse...

Highest tier big risk big reward big values like high doubles of what you have to middling triples with a good chance of a curse.

Scrying would remain powerful in this and combined with the bribe action allow you to specifically curse an item which could then be sabotaged back at you... Then depending on the start of turn stuff might not be that bad...

Some items could then interact with the value tiers generating higher starting values while remaining random. Also some collectors could increase the value tier as they add some knowledge about other items in your store they aren't buying... Ties into the theme I think...

Thank you all so much for last night! The session was incredibly useful from my perspective. Being able to watch the play, fantastic feedback, great ideas, etc. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Don't feel obligated, but I'll definitely be hitting you (and other Warhamsters) up for more help in the nearish-future.

If anything else occurs to you, please don't hesitate to share it! Don't feel that you have to have specific suggestions (though if so, please share); vague feelings or emotional responses to certain actions or components are also great grist for the mill.

Stuff

Awesome, thanks! I've added it to the list of stuff on which to chew for the next iteration.

If anything else occurs to you, please don't hesitate to share it! Don't feel that you have to have specific suggestions (though if so, please share); vague feelings or emotional responses to certain actions or components are also great grist for the mill.

Awesome, thanks! I've added it to the list of stuff on which to chew for the next iteration.

I enjoyed everything about the board game except for the nipple pinching.  Ouch.  Not-fun.   e14093.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone up for another go-around this Tuesday? Things have changed somewhat (I have some new curios, some rules tweaks, and a couple versions of a new game board to try), and may change more. I'd love to get in another round with 4 players, if possible. I reckon, with kibbitzing afterwards, it should take about 2 to 2.5 hours? Start at 6:30?

acyHz5y.jpg

tybfbwE.jpg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.