OFCC 2017 - What to expect

As your campaign Czar's for 2017, Jeff and I are pleased to report that we have a stellar lineup for you this year.  I'll be posting more details in the coming days, but you can expect:

A Friday, one-day, Kill Team Tournament

A two day Blood Bowl Tournament

A two day 30k Horus Heresy campaign

A two day Infinity Tournament

A two day 9th Age Tournament

And for our two historically flagship events.....

A two day Warhammer 40k Tournament - with some exciting changes:

Warhammer 40k

• 4 person Teams will still be in place, but will be optional
- Players will register independently, and have the option to be a member of a 4 man team
- Any player not on a team will be independent
- We would move from team vs. team, to individual pairings

• The Awards will include Team and Individual awards
- Team Awards
- We will continue with last year's trend and not have a Best General, and instead keep the replacement of Best Spirit
- Best Spirit will be scored through team shirts, displays, banners, etc.
- Best Painted will remain
- Marshall Johnson (Best Sportsmanship) will remain
- Best Overall would be averaged between Spirit, Paint, and Sportsmanship

- Individual Awards
- Sports and Painting will be recognized
  • List Approval will be eliminated
- Other than providing a guideline regarding the spirit of the event, we will not approve or reject lists
- We will use a list review committee to loosely rank lists on power and use that ranking to create initial match ups
- There will be few restrictions, providing the freedom to have fun with construction
- Wins and loses, combined with location, will drive match ups through the weekend
- We will only use approved GW FAQs, not ITC.

For questions and clarifications, an 40K FAQ has been posted at: http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/topic/29853-2017-ofcc-40k-faq/

Age of Sigmar

We will be hosting a two day, minimum five round, competitive matched play 2000pt Age of Sigmar event.  This will be a singles event, designed around General's Handbook matched play, exactly as you might see streamed on Warhammer TV, or at Warhammer World.  You can expect themed tables to battle across the mortal realms.  There will be awards for generalship, painting, sportsmanship, and best in faction awards.  More details on this to come, but it's going to be fantastic!

Many thanks to all the people who volunteered their time and effort to submit proposals to run these events.  We have an exception array of HoGs this year, and the gaming is going to be the best yet.  Stay tuned as we provide you more details.  Start making your reservations!

• Like 3

Because the mandatory team was a barrier for some people, and kept them from participating in OFCC.  We want as many people as possible to be able to attend, even those whose gaming groups are 1-2 other people.  Under the new system, you can still form a group with your friends, you're just not required to do so as a condition to participate.  

• Like 1

So for the 40k event will the teams still play together in proximity to allow that group comraderie or will players be (barring happenstance) scattered throughout the room on individual match-ups for the length of the event?

This will be covered in the upcoming FAQ...speaking of, I should get back to writing it :)

med_gallery_1078_27_691172.jpg

• Like 4

So, are you going to rename the event? With the new structure, it doesn't seem like much of a club challenge...

Really, because the vast majority of the awards are club/team based:

• The Awards will include Team and Individual awards
- Team Awards
- We will continue with last year's trend and not have a Best General, and instead keep the replacement of Best Spirit
- Best Spirit will be scored through team shirts, displays, banners, etc.
- Best Painted will remain
- Marshall Johnson (Best Sportsmanship) will remain
- Best Overall would be averaged between Spirit, Paint, and Sportsmanship

- Individual Awards
- Sports and Painting will be recognized
  • Like 3

The displays and painting etc are a wonderful part of the OFCC event but surely it doesn't really matter about winning awards?

Its never bothered me over the years about whether i win an award or not and is a pleasant surprise if I do win anything. Its not the reason why i go to the OFCC though. More for drinking beer and seeing my army feet hammered! I love the fact this year we are trying to be more encompassing for individuals that don't have a team and applaud it. 

Maybe focus at the camaraderie and good times of the event rather than worrying about awards and how to win them. :)

• Like 4

It actually does matter to us. We enjoy creating beautiful armies and displays. It's what drives us to compete--not in generalship but in art and sportsmanship, which, for my team, is why this is our yearly highlighted event. Every year we try to reach for a greater challenge, and I'm excited to share this year's ideas we've come up with with everyone, but the painting and displays are definitely our thing, and I'm sure our team would be pretty dismayed to see that aspect of OFCC become more of a footnote in the overall experience.

It actually does matter to us. We enjoy creating beautiful armies and displays. It's what drives us to compete--not in generalship but in art and sportsmanship, which, for my team, is why this is our yearly highlighted event. Every year we try to reach for a greater challenge, and I'm excited to share this year's ideas we've come up with with everyone, but the painting and displays are definitely our thing, and I'm sure our team would be pretty dismayed to see that aspect of OFCC become more of a footnote in the overall experience.

Aaron, there is no chance this aspect of the event will be ignore or even diminished. My hope was to have the FAQ posted by now but frantically preparing for LVO has taken more time than expected. :)

In order to start providing clarity to people, I will get the first part of the FAQ posted tonight and update it as needed to ensure everything is clearly outlined.

In the mean time, if you have specific concerns then you can always reach out to me directly.

No worries, Bryan--just had to share my team's perspective to the group. Besides the Marshall award, we consider Best Painted the highest honor you can bestow upon us, so we work very hard at presenting something fun, cool and interesting to compete with the other clubs. We would love it if all clubs would "bring it" to OFCC, as that would mean more cool minis, more sweet displays, and more art to blow our minds with!

• Like 1

The 30k event will be a campaign not a tournament. Feel free to send any questions you have about the 30k campaign to me.

Info for the 30k event:
1. We will have 32 spots for our 30k event aka 16 tables. (limited space)
2. you will need to sign up as Traitor or Loyalist.
-there will be 16 traitor spots
-there will be 16 loyalist spots
3. It will be 3 games Saturday and 2 games Sunday.
4. tickets will be $50 ($40 for Ordo Funacticus members). 
5. Where to buy tickets will be posted when tickets go on sale. 
6. OFCC will be held at the Hilton hotel in Vancouver WA. (basicly Portland OR.)
7. It will be a campaign not a tournament. 
8. Dates for OFCC are July 28th - 30th, 2017
9. We will be giving away a Burning of Prospero and a Betrayal at Calth boxset for prizes. One for best sportsmanship and the other for best overall army (best army will be judged on paint, modeling and theme) 

-Rules: 
1. Players choose to fight for a faction (loyalist or traitors) 
2. 2,500 point armies
3. Armies must be chosen from one of the Age of Darkness army lists
4. No Shattered Legions 
5. Armies must conform to one of the force organization charts found in the Age of Darkness books with all limitations. 
6. Games will be organized by having traitors fighting loyalist.
7. Each faction will score campaign points base off game out come. 
-Win= 3 points
-Loss= 0 points
-Tie= 1 point
8. Armies must be fully painted and must be what you see is what you get (WYSIWYG) 
9. Models must be 30k compatible. (feel free to contact me if you have questions on what is 30k compatible)

• Like 1