Rate the Last Movie You Saw

The Levenger Tapes: Starts off very promising for a found footage horror flick, and it does manage to maintain a really creepy atmosphere throughout. Unfortunately, they couldn't quite stick the landing, and it really doesn't come together at the end.  There are a lot of different threads running through it, and it leaves it all a bit too open, especially since there's a cop actually on the scene, and we get to hear him reporting to the detectives watching the footage, but the movie cuts out as the rest of the cops head to the scene, rather than letting us follow them a little further.

Also, as a general thing, I like horror movies where bad things happen to people because they did something incredibly stupid (like going off to explore a supposedly possessed former insane asylum at midnight on Beltane, to pick a particularly apt example from a previous flick), but this one pushes it a bit too far. The dude who's doing most of the filming, Chase, is such a colossal idiot that I really had trouble believing he could survive that long. Would have been better if he got killed off way earlier. Both in terms of plausibility and watchability, since he's also really, really annoying.

Deadpool 2: Very F***ing fun time. Tho there isn't a post-credits scene as such, it is worth waiting til the end of the credits. Also, this is another where I'd like to be able to see some AU versions with different casting. In this case, for Cable. You know, like the options Reynolds mentioned in the DP1 post-credits scene. Dolph Lundgren, Tom Waits, Keira Knightley. I wanna watch all those variations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Batman: Ninja

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_Ninja

Terrible, terrible plot and dialogue. That said, really funny visual comedy. It doesn't try to be funny, so there are lots of slow periods where it isn't, but just really visually funny. Worth seeing once, 3/5. Reminds me of the Ewok battle in Return of the Jedi. Just ridiculous while trying to be a serious action scene - whole film is like that. I recommend seeing it once. Kid friendly (lots of violence, but minimal blood and it's a cartoon with bright colors).

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_Gotham_by_Gaslight

2/5.

Victorian era Batman remake. Cartoon. Plot seems more focused on explaining the inequality of the treatment of women in that time, than it does on being a batman adventure. It was okay, but not really worth watching. Kinda wish I hadn't watched it, as I wasted my time. Plot centers around the capture of Jack the Ripper, which I also think has been done too many times. And they don't really make any headway on the women's rights despite focusing on it quite a bit, they just stop Jack and end it there. Very subpar for animated Batman films, which are usually pretty good.

And I don't really like Batman films in a political role. If they wanted to play up women, they could have just added more competent female characters to the film. Cast is mostly male, plus female "victims" for Jack and a babe for Bruce to seduce. Just a bad example of animated batman.

Solo (Star Wars)

3/5. It was fine. Nothing bad about it, but it was more of the same. I'm getting tired of all the Star Wars films being centered around the same section of the alliance vs empire time period. Would be nice to see some other characters take center stage. But we live in the age of sequels, so I don't expect anything.

Dead Pool 2

3/5. A good film to play in the background while painting models. It flows well, but an audio only version of this would be just as enjoyable. Characters are never in any unavoidable danger. They seek problems, problems occur, and they resolve problems in a hap-hazard way, leaving room for the cycle to repeat. And it's another of those films that will encourage future generations to grow up into a-holes...

Thor: Ragnarok

3/5. I liked half of this one. I wish they had focused more on the Hulk and Thor, and less on saving Asgard. Thor and Hulk are great enemies. A pit fight without morality is a perfect setting for Thor as incarnated in marvel films. That owner of the Contest, the villain boss, I liked him. They need more villains like that in their marvel films, and less nazi-remakes. Non-evil villians, not good either, just villains without strong morals one way or another.

The Hela half was more crap evil villians - I was really rooting for a positive ending to that one, but Thor and Loki just don't have the skills to make an ally out of an enemy. Just crappy heroes versus crappy villians. Very mismatched fight.

Avengers: Infinity Wars

2/5. Too many main characters. Ends with a cliff hanger, which is what I'd call an unfinished film. Maybe the sequel justify it. Not worth watching, now. I want my time back.

PS: Wow, it's gotten really easy to stream films still in the theaters. I watched all of the above from my own home without paying (well, bought a computer and internet service....). They used to really put effort into stopping this sort of thing. This was effortless. One of the streams even had ads on it, so they even got a sponsor...

A few from the last several days.

Splinter: Pretty impressive for a low budget flick like this. Genuinely good acting (on most of the actors' parts) and some nice character development goes a long way, and what budget they had was used well, with some really good effects, and a nice balance of letting us see enough to get an idea of what the monsters are like, but not so much that the effects become obvious. Possibly a poor choice to watch it when I did, tho, since the title comes from the spines, or splinters, that the infected monsters grow, which can infect others, and I had just stepped on a pretty nasty splinter a few hours before and it was still embedded in my foot while I was watching 😉

Dream House Nightmare: A bit odd for something billed as a horror flick. Apparently it was a Lifetime Original, which makes a lot more sense. So it's sort of a drama/horror hybrid, with more warm fuzzy moments than you might expect. Very good at building tension, tho. Especially since it's all very plausible, not surprising as it was based very closely (up until the end) on an actual occurrence, mostly just changing the location and names. Some of the text and dialogue is apparently taken verbatim from real life.

Byzantium: Odd and interesting vampire flick, featuring Gemma Arterton (of Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters). I need to watch it again, because I had it on in the background, but a lot of it is really visual, with body language and facial expression telling much of the story, and I missed a lot of that. I feel like it's going to be worth the rewatch. Also, while it did have a strong CGI vibe, the effect used a couple of times of this waterfall turning to blood was really cool.

Cabin Fear: One of those where I was really rooting for the killer. I couldn't sympathize with her motivation (It was a love triangle thing, and the only way I can explain even one person falling hard enough for that dork to kill, let alone two, is that the actor was also one of the writers), but those idiots were all too dumb to live. Yes I'm dropping spoilers here, but you don't want to watch this anyhow. Learn from my mistakes.

• Like 1

Drawn Together Movie

1/5

I enjoyed the series enough to buy it as a "complete collection" which, to my surprise, included a straight to DVD movie. Really, really bad. Basic plot is that the characters in the series learn that they were canceled as a series and investigate to find out why....The entire film is entirely directionless in a bad way.

The Covenant (2006): Got the right one this time. It isn't a good movie by any objective standard, but if, as in my case, you're basically just watching it for Sebastian Stan, it can be a pretty fun one. The nominal protagonists are total rich entitled douchebags, and it's pretty fun watching Stan mess with them. His character is a jerk too, but at least he's an entertaining one. If he'd had a mustache for this film, he definitely would have been twirling it a lot 😉 Other than the fact that Stan loses in the end, the only real disappointment was the special effects for the magic. On my scale of Wizard's Duels, this falls far closer to Gandalf vs. Saruman in Fellowship of the Ring than Dumbledore vs. Voldemort in Order of the Phoenix.

• Like 1

Annihilation: 6/10

Very cool style and concept. Natalie Portman did a great job acting. Unfortunately the whole 3rd act seemed.... thrown together? Not sure how to describe it. I was totally on board until the 3rd act, and after my first reaction was "huh. Okay."

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Munkie said:

Annihilation: 6/10

Very cool style and concept. Natalie Portman did a great job acting. Unfortunately the whole 3rd act seemed.... thrown together? Not sure how to describe it. I was totally on board until the 3rd act, and after my first reaction was "huh. Okay."

That was my reaction as well. It would appear that the director (Alex Garland) made some changes to the original ending of the novel in his movie adaptation and as you mentioned, the result is a disjointed third act. Do yourself a favor and read the novel. It's much better (IMHO) than the movie. 

• Thanks 2