Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Ghosts of Darkness: Surprisingly good for something made in 3 weeks, for £35,000. Michael Koltes is somewhat overwrought as the Rationalist Debunker Jack Donavan, opposed to the very concept of the supernatural because of Dark Events in His Past, but Paul Flannery is very entertaining in his first film role as the surprisingly practical Theatrical Psychic Jonathon Blazer (possibly a reference to John Constantine, Hellblazer?), and there are some pretty cool zombie-style manifestations of the haunting.

• Like 1

Silverado: This movie is one of my favorite Westerns along with Open Range, The Outlaw Josie Wales, The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, and the Unforgiven. It has Jeff Goldbloom, Kevin Kline, Scott Glenn, Linda Hunt, John Cleese, Danny Glover, Kevin Costner and more. It is on Netflix. I have watched it at least 8 times. 

• Like 6

I watched The Witch, followed by Dunkirk last night. The Witch was very good, but Dunkirk was amazing -- maybe my favorite war movie ever. Not a great before-bed double-feature, too intense; I don't remember any of my dreams, but I know I had some disturbing ones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My Bloody Valentine (2009): Definitely one for the gore crowd. It was originally released as a 3D movie, and I could see a number of scenes that were clearly intended to take advantage of that, but it's not an option on Hulu. If you're into 80s Slasher films, but want something with better production values and film tech, you could do a lot worse than this. Also, it has that one guy from Supernatural in it.

Dr. Strange. Not the feature film, the pre-MCU direct to video animated one. The general vibe is sort of Batman: The Animated Series meets Scooby Doo and the Witch's Ghost, but, unfortunately, the quality doesn't live up to that comparison. Plus, story-wise, it's just one more super-hero origin story.

Apocalypse Cult: Australian found footage horror flick. As the name might lead you to believe, it's about a couple of journalists doing a story on a Jim Jones-style cult. Between that and the genre classification, you can probably guess that things don't go well. Solid for found footage horror. Not up there with They're Watching or the first Paranormal Activity, but definitely better than most.

• Like 2

Godzilla (1998): That was...pretty bad. I haven't seen all that many of Matthew Broderick's movies, but of the ones I have, this was his worst performance. The contortions the plot went through to justify having Godzilla attack New York, despite the classic South Pacific origin, took up way too much of the movie, and threw the rest of it out of balance. Just changing the setting to LA or San Francisco would have helped significantly. Also, Godzilla moves wrong here. I know, it doesn't really exist, but I've watched a bunch of Godzilla movies, and I know how it's supposed to move. This one moves wrong, and also feels like it changes size at times to make various shots they wanted possible. It also kind of bugged me that they kept calling it "he", even after determining that it was laying eggs. I feel like they should have gone to "she" or "it" (since it's established as belonging to a mono-gendered species that reproduces asexually). The redeeming factors are basically Jean Reno and the riff from Kashmir over the closing credits.

• Like 2

The Nut Job: I first pulled it up because I was checking it out to see if my nephew might like it. Don't actually think it would be his sort of thing (too many of the characters are jerks in one way or another), but it was actually a pretty fun watch, in a low brain engagement sort of way. I am pretty much always down for a Heist flick, tho, so my standards in that regard are probably lower than most.

• Like 1

Game Night: 8/10

I was very surprised by this one. Both Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams are really hit or miss for me, but they both nailed it and had real chemistry. There were also some delightful cameos.

I thought the previews gave too much away but was very much mistaken. The best jokes were saved for the viewer (which is rare with comedy previews these days). Also, the cinemetography was unexpectedly interesting.

If you're looking for a proper Jason Bateman vehicle but are willing to have Rachel McAdams steal the show, this is the one for you.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

George Romero's Survival of the Dead: Interesting concept, terrible execution. There are way too many details that just don't fit together, and the religious aspects to the plot come and go seemingly at random, despite how fundamental they are to driving the plot.

The Untouchables: Good flick. The only real downside is that it feels like it compresses the whole story too much. The movie gives the impression that it took five guys about a week and a half to take down Capone. Also, I'm pretty sure that something like 60-70% of Chris Evans's prep for playing Steve Rogers consisted of watching Kevin Costner in this over and over again. Feels like it would have worked better as a TV series, tho neither of the TV series adaptations of the same book seem to have taken the tack of of stretching this one story out over the two years it actually took, and showing off the larger size of Ness's group, rather than reducing it to less than a half-dozen.

The Alchemist Cookbook: Parts of it are interestingly weird. Unfortunately, most of it is just plain @%$#ing weird. Some really good music, tho.

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark: Cheesy, stupid, campy, sleazy, and a whole lot of fun.

• Like 1

Mission Impossible:  Fallout    -    9.0 out of 10 in the "popcorn action movie" ranking.   I'm not suggesting this 8.5 crosses over to the "on the Academy Award" ranking scale

Took wifey poo, her mom (81) and my mom (75).  The first two have never seen any of the MI films.  The last one basically orders me to take her to that and any James Bond movie that gets released.

All three loved it:  tons of vehicle chases, great fight scenes, twists/turns/intrigue and it's pretty fast paced for a 2.5 hour movie.

I enjoyed it as well.  Henry Cavill looks monstrous and it's always enjoyable to watch chase scenes in European locales.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy (2005)

2/5

I remember liking the book, but it really has been a long while. Can't recall if the film follows the book well, or not. I'd seen the film, already, when it came out, but it was on netflix and I wanted something I'd not seen in a while. 

Film in generally bad. I mean, the acting is acceptable and the film's not terrible, but entire film has a rather pointless theme to it - like this whole thing is pointless, both life and watching this film. While that might have the point of the film, it really doesn't make a very enjoyable film. 

Costumes were an interesting one. I mean, the costumes looked good, but they also looked very cartoony. Entire film's special effects made me feel it would have made a better cartoon, rather than one with real people. And, somewhat related, the sets, like buildings and such, seemed rather uninspired - again, like the sort of quality you'd expect from a cartoon. 

I kinda feel like they made a mistake in making this one the way they made it. I mean, it's a creative setting, sure, but it made for a bad film. I think they'd have been smart to either make a short cartoon, or to alter the theme into an action film (like lord of rings).

Happytime Murders - 6/10? Unfortunately, most of the laughs are in the previews. It wasn't a bad movie by any means, but they seemed to have gotten stuck on "Its an R rated Muppet movie!" and didn't go further. Lots of F bombs dropped throughout the film. Probably will do okay with the Rick and Morty crowd as some of it is just pure disturbing. Might have gotten a higher rating if they had saved some of the good stuff for the film.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

2/5

I remember liking the book, but it really has been a long while. Can't recall if the film follows the book well, or not. I'd seen the film, already, when it came out, but it was on netflix and I wanted something I'd not seen in a while. 

Film in generally bad. I mean, the acting is acceptable and the film's not terrible, but entire film has a rather pointless theme to it - like this whole thing is pointless, both life and watching this film. While that might have the point of the film, it really doesn't make a very enjoyable film. 

Costumes were an interesting one. I mean, the costumes looked good, but they also looked very cartoony. Entire film's special effects made me feel it would have made a better cartoon, rather than one with real people. And, somewhat related, the sets, like buildings and such, seemed rather uninspired - again, like the sort of quality you'd expect from a cartoon. 

I kinda feel like they made a mistake in making this one the way they made it. I mean, it's a creative setting, sure, but it made for a bad film. I think they'd have been smart to either make a short cartoon, or to alter the theme into an action film (like lord of rings).

Missed the point... does the book's theme and inspiration well. British dry humor at its best. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, paxmiles said:

2/5

Watch the BBC version if you want to be really depressed.  Also, it is all pointless. Today you become initiated in nihilism.

4 hours ago, paxmiles said:

2 hours ago, VonVilkee said:

Missed the point... does the book's theme and inspiration well. British dry humor at its best. 

Oh....this.

• Like 3

Ghost in the Shell 7/10

Never watched the anime so I have no idea what didnt follow cannon, but it was a solid sci-fi movie.

Precious

The most cringy movie I've ever seen, not because of the quality of the film, which was good. But the content.

Baby Driver 7/10

Solid, not all about cars and stunts. Unique if  predictable. 

• Like 2

Doom: Stuck in that awkward space where it wasn't really good enough to make it as a conventional hit, and doesn't really have that something that gives a flick the hook to make a cult classic. It's not bad for what it is, but it was far too expensive for what it is. Oddly, in some ways, I think it actually comes across better for me now than it might have on release, because shaky cam stuff has become so much more common that the impossible to follow fight scenes don't stand out as such a negative anymore. The one real standout sequence is when it goes to first-person perspective for a bit. It's still not great cinema, but I've never seen another movie go that far to try to emulate a first-person shooter, and it actually captures that fairly well. The CGI didn't age particularly well, either, but when I'm watching something like this on Netflix, I'm OK with cheesy special effects. And it's got The Rock and Karl Urban, so there's a certain minimum level of entertainment more or less guaranteed there. Also, the gun that The Rock ends up with really looks like a T'au Ion weapon, except upside down.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, WestRider said:

Doom: Stuck in that awkward space where it wasn't really good enough to make it as a conventional hit, and doesn't really have that something that gives a flick the hook to make a cult classic. It's not bad for what it is, but it was far too expensive for what it is. Oddly, in some ways, I think it actually comes across better for me now than it might have on release, because shaky cam stuff has become so much more common that the impossible to follow fight scenes don't stand out as such a negative anymore. The one real standout sequence is when it goes to first-person perspective for a bit. It's still not great cinema, but I've never seen another movie go that far to try to emulate a first-person shooter, and it actually captures that fairly well. The CGI didn't age particularly well, either, but when I'm watching something like this on Netflix, I'm OK with cheesy special effects. And it's got The Rock and Karl Urban, so there's a certain minimum level of entertainment more or less guaranteed there. Also, the gun that The Rock ends up with really looks like a T'au Ion weapon, except upside down.

You need to watch Hardcore Henry.

• Thanks 1