Is this modeling for advantage?

PumpkinHead

585748_sm-.JPG

Over on dakkadakka I was reading a tyranid bat rep and saw this picture.  You can see the Crone in the bottom right, and it is modeled with Crone facing along the minor axis. Where as in the top left of the picture you see another crone/harpy with it facing along the major axis of the base.  Is changing the direction of the base considered modeling for advantage?

For my flying vehicles, where I place the stand is largely a matter of weight and balance for the stand.  I haven't seen the kit, but is the placement of the stand dictated in the assembly instructions?  If not, my opinion is that it's not modeling for advantage, at least not anymore than choosing the lowest stand for your skimmers and jetbikes is modeling for advantage.

A few weeks ago I looked through the rulebook trying to find a rule that defines and/or prohibits "modeling for advantage", but had no luck. Is there an actual rule that prevents me from modeling all of my Space Marines in a prone position, or is it legal but more of a "good luck finding games" thing?

Just to be clear - I have no intentions of doing this! I just want to be adequately prepared if I run a tournament and a player has prone Space Marines.

He doesn't need to fix his bases because under flying monstrous creatures and swooping it says to pick a spot on the base to be the front for purposes of the 90 degrees you only have to remain consistent so using the rules he could state the long side is the spot any way. I like it; means he has a harder time landing between things... Pros and cons gentlemen pros and cons.

• Like 2

I couldn't care less if it looks awesome.  I bet the player probably doesn't invoke any advantages when he plays.  So really, it's the player you gotta' look at, not the model.  I play an Eldar guy who likes to "low sling" his Wave Serpents and doesn't like to take the bases off when its immobilized and I think frankly that he knows exactly the impact it will have and fully intends to invoke that advantage.  

But if another player had low slung Wave Serpents and never took the bases off but always said "Sure, it's on a base, so it would be higher, take the shot" or "okay so since my base is gone, I dont think I can see that target" then I'd say "cool looking models bro!"

It's in the intent, for me.  I generally ask that I be allowed to actually MAKE the mistake before someone judges me for it..  "Yeah but he COULDA" means nothing to me.

• Like 1

Vector strikes are off of the base... wings don't count.

FAQed? The BRB says model, not base. This came up recently and my scouts got vectored from wings, not the base. I'd love to know if I'm wrong here.

-Pax