Astra Militarum

Fix

Some of those buildings are not GW retail terrain, I think they used some early test pieces. I wish there were some simpler, plainer options on the building sprues. Those skull sections are pretty cool looking.

They are. They've just kit bashed the heck out of them. See the roof in the in the top left? That's part of the WHFB movement try. I could keep going, but it would take forever to dissect those models.

I spotted the movement tray too. I'm talking about the plain building in the top center. The skull alcoves are a mystery. The hardbound BRB has way more pictures of the kind of plainer city panels that I am talking about, with square grids on the windows for example.

Huh? That's the main tower base in the fortress of redemption. The aquilla doors have been added from the sanctum imperialis kit. The upper levels are from the basilica administratum kit. 

Wow, those leaked rules are horrible.....basically less armored chimeras with smaller transport capacity....The models look very nice, but for points, they must be upping the cost of a chimera or these don't have much value to the guard. They do have some nice alternate options for offensive shooting attacks, and the vehicles have more access points, but I'd much rather have my FW autocannon upgrade for the chimera turret...

Wow, those leaked rules are horrible.....basically less armored chimeras with smaller transport capacity....The models look very nice, but for points, they must be upping the cost of a chimera or these don't have much value to the guard. They do have some nice alternate options for offensive shooting attacks, and the vehicles have more access points, but I'd much rather have my FW autocannon upgrade for the chimera turret...

They are essentially allowing you IG Razorspam.  Seems to me anyways.

• Like 1

Points-wise, upgunning a Chimera to a TL Autocannon would probably be about 10 Points, and then basically adding a Dozer Blade would be another 5, for something in the neighborhood of 70 Points for the same thing with an extra Point of Front Armour. So relative to the Chimera, I don't think it's that bad in terms of cost, but that extra point of Armour does make a big difference, and I doubt they'll be viable without spamming.

I like that they made the Prime BS4, and I really like how it looks with the Missiles. I suspect it's way too expensive to be viable at that point, tho.

The Scions themselves still seem too fragile to me for something that expensive. They don't have the firepower to really pull off a serious Alpha Strike, and the return fire is going to really hurt.

• Like 1

They are essentially allowing you IG Razorspam.  Seems to me anyways.

Presently the chimera is 55pts, so what are you buying with those tauroxen that is allowing you to be more spammy? That stock chimera is still pretty amazing in the targets it can engage and it's high front armor.

As for the taurox, I was really hoping for AV 11 on all sides when looking at the model. IG could really use a transport with higher Rear AV, and just tanks in general with higher side armor.

Points-wise, upgunning a Chimera to a TL Autocannon would probably be about 10 Points, and then basically adding a Dozer Blade would be another 5, for something in the neighborhood of 70 Points for the same thing with an extra Point of Front Armour. So relative to the Chimera, I don't think it's that bad in terms of cost, but that extra point of Armour does make a big difference, and I doubt they'll be viable without spamming.

I like that they made the Prime BS4, and I really like how it looks with the Missiles. I suspect it's way too expensive to be viable at that point, tho.

The Scions themselves still seem too fragile to me for something that expensive. They don't have the firepower to really pull off a serious Alpha Strike, and the return fire is going to really hurt.

Chimera, the FW one, doesn't get a TL autocannon, just a single one. If I have an autocannon, I'm not buying a dozer blade because I don't need one, I can just sit at long range and shoot my enemy. FW autocannon upgrade is 5pts. Makes them 60pt tanks of awesomeness - this alone dramatically alters the tactical value of mech IG.

I did just notice that the prime one is a FAST vehicle. That is something that IG do need, fast transports. In terms of costs, your taurox missile laucher is just a cyclone missile launcher with a new name. So, you've got a 100pt fast vehicle with BS4....Basically you have a land speeder typhoon with transport capacity, though I'd argue the land speeder is more durable due to it's jink rule...

I do expect ork players to buy more of these than IG players.... Not really joking. Lots of weapon bits and no-conversion trukks with 'ard cases. And if you look at those most recently linked pictures, looks like those lion details are optional (yay!).

Both vehicles have access to the vehicle armoury in the new IG book, which could make the value of these go up considerably.

Oh lawdy yes, it looks like they're keeping the name Codex: Imperial Guard and the Orders system is still in.  You can take a full platoon of Militarum Scions as an elite choice for Guard with three squads and a command squad Tempestor Prime operating as a Junior Officer of a PCS.

That's one unit of potentially 35 deepstriking guard vets with hotshots.  For 475 points. :D

Dunno, spamming a ton of transports with battlecannons sounds pretty sweet;)

Did you read the entry? The taurox battle cannon is just an autocannon with a small blast instead of two shots.

Chimera, the FW one, doesn't get a TL autocannon, just a single one. If I have an autocannon, I'm not buying a dozer blade because I don't need one, I can just sit at long range and shoot my enemy. FW autocannon upgrade is 5pts. Makes them 60pt tanks of awesomeness - this alone dramatically alters the tactical value of mech IG.

This is why I used all the qualified phrasing with "would", and approximate discussion of Points and all. Because no, you can't actually do that with a Chimera, and it probably wouldn't be a good idea, but IF you could, it would come to about 70 Points or so.

I missed that the Prime is fast, but I'm not sure how much value it's actually going to get from that, between the even weaker Side Armour and the fact that it doesn't really have the kind of guns that need to get up close. Plus, Fast Vehicles provide no bonuses for their Passengers' shooting, so you're wasting the Fire Points if you're really making use of that.

Presently the chimera is 55pts, so what are you buying with those tauroxen that is allowing you to be more spammy? That stock chimera is still pretty amazing in the targets it can engage and it's high front armor.

As for the taurox, I was really hoping for AV 11 on all sides when looking at the model. IG could really use a transport with higher Rear AV, and just tanks in general with higher side armor.

The trakks are too exposed to be a higher armor value and the engine compartment (gasp...  GW added a place for engines!) is right up front.  Easy and preferential target perhaps.

I am just saying that the Taurox is sort of like Razor Spamming.  I am not trying to make anything more than a sweeping generality in that regard.  And damn it, those are real cool models man.  They are very Deutschland World War II esque (if I may be permitted to butcher the Enghlish language thusly).

At some point you gotta admit to yourself why you play this game.  i freaking LOOOOOVE the models and LOVE the fact that I have rules to use that I can play with them and not just look at their awesomeness.  Competition came later for me (though i DO like that a lot too!).  I was a d&D roleplayer since 1984, so I mean...  The awesome factor plays big with me.  My imagination goes nuts when i see stuff that awesome and it just makes me want to play more.  

Cant wait to see those things across the table from me or maybe on my side of said table...

• Like 1

This is why I used all the qualified phrasing with "would", and approximate discussion of Points and all. Because no, you can't actually do that with a Chimera, and it probably wouldn't be a good idea, but IF you could, it would come to about 70 Points or so.

I missed that the Prime is fast, but I'm not sure how much value it's actually going to get from that, between the even weaker Side Armour and the fact that it doesn't really have the kind of guns that need to get up close. Plus, Fast Vehicles provide no bonuses for their Passengers' shooting, so you're wasting the Fire Points if you're really making use of that.

well if you're jetting forward, do you care what guns it has?  Just saying.  Kinda irrelevant if your purpose isn't to shoot stuff all that much.

Fast vehicle out of reserves to send some boys at a lightly held objective is super handy... I've used 'ard boyz in a truck that way in my ork army and been very happy...

well if you're jetting forward, do you care what guns it has?  Just saying.  Kinda irrelevant if your purpose isn't to shoot stuff all that much.

With the tinfoil Side Armour, it can't really jet forward, or it just turns into a deathtrap. Actually, what in the IG even wants to jet forward? Jetting forward, as a general thing for IG, is a deathtrap, unless you're in a Flyer. That's what Marines are for, IG do the slow, grinding advance.

Plus, you can't get the Fast version without also paying for bigger guns, so it's falling into that GW trap of giving something upgrades that can't be used well together and then charging full price for both.

• Like 2

Nicholas Sacco on the Bols Lounge wrote:So, it seems MILITARUM TEMPESTUS is only an expansion for the imperial guard and not the real imperial guard.. the codex (released the same week as direct only) will be only in english and it'll have only the extra unit seen in the wd photos and maybe something else.

MILITARUM TEMPESTUS TAUROX PRIME Plastic Box 38€
MILITARUM TEMPESTUS SCIONS Plastic Box 27€
WARHAMMER: VISIONS 3 (ENGLISH) 9€
ASTRA MILITARUM CADIAN HEAVY WEAPON Plastic Box 12.5€
ASTRA MILITARUM CATACHAN HEAVY WEAPON Plastic Box 12.5€
CODEX: MILITARUM TEMPESTUS Book (HB) 39€
ALTAR OF WAR Book (HB) 39€

BLACK LIBRARY
HORUS HERESY: SCARS (C-FORMAT) Novel 15.95€
HORUS HERESY: SCARS (AUDIOBOOK) Audio Book 35

The trakks are too exposed to be a higher armor value and the engine compartment (gasp...  GW added a place for engines!) is right up front.  Easy and preferential target perhaps.

Your not seriously arguing that the chimera or this thing's side armor looks less armored than the AV11 side of a rhino? Not to mention that the hellhound and death strike get AV12 on that same exact hull's side arc....

Even if you decide that the armor doesn't look like AV 11 on the side, does the front look like it's MORE armored than it's side? Vehicle looks like it's the same armor on the front and side, though I have yet to see rear arc pictures.

Anyone catch that the infantry entry references Codex: Imperial guard in the voice of command entry, while the taurox references the Astra militarum vehicle upgrades....