Astra Militarum

Fix

Nicholas Sacco on the Bols Lounge wrote:So, it seems MILITARUM TEMPESTUS is only an expansion for the imperial guard and not the real imperial guard.. the codex (released the same week as direct only) will be only in english and it'll have only the extra unit seen in the wd photos and maybe something else.

So is the Guard not getting a new codex?

Chimera, the FW one, doesn't get a TL autocannon, just a single one. If I have an autocannon, I'm not buying a dozer blade because I don't need one, I can just sit at long range and shoot my enemy. FW autocannon upgrade is 5pts. Makes them 60pt tanks of awesomeness - this alone dramatically alters the tactical value of mech IG.

I did just notice that the prime one is a FAST vehicle. That is something that IG do need, fast transports. In terms of costs, your taurox missile laucher is just a cyclone missile launcher with a new name. So, you've got a 100pt fast vehicle with BS4....Basically you have a land speeder typhoon with transport capacity, though I'd argue the land speeder is more durable due to it's jink rule...

I do expect ork players to buy more of these than IG players.... Not really joking. Lots of weapon bits and no-conversion trukks with 'ard cases. And if you look at those most recently linked pictures, looks like those lion details are optional (yay!).

Both vehicles have access to the vehicle armoury in the new IG book, which could make the value of these go up considerably.

This kit will probably be the first one that I purchase "new in box" to kitbash and make an Ork Battle wagon or Junka.

As an IG player I don't see this vehicle bringing any thing new and exciting to what they have already ..paper armor no matter how well armed means blown off the board turn one or two and that things profile makes it stand out like a turd in a punchbowl so theres no hiding in cover.

Actually  im feeling rather bummed out about the release as a whole.I mean they seem to be focusing on Ogryns and Stormtroopers ..now since my Orks are Bloodaxes I usually run a detatchement of either IG or Ork depending on the list and in the case of the Ogryns I could probably achieve the same if not better results running a Warboss with some Nobs in a Truck or BW and they would be scoring.As far as the Stormtroopers...sure they are neat and all but still just a T3 deepstriking unit and to me that spells blown off the board soon after hitting the ground.I can run Stormboys with Zagstruck and get some face time on the same turn I hit the ground.

I know  I should wait and see whats in it and either way ill probably get the new book but as to if they get any new rules/units that bring IG up a few notches competition wise ..im not holding my breath.

Your not seriously arguing that the chimera or this thing's side armor looks less armored than the AV11 side of a rhino? Not to mention that the hellhound and death strike get AV12 on that same exact hull's side arc....

Even if you decide that the armor doesn't look like AV 11 on the side, does the front look like it's MORE armored than it's side? Vehicle looks like it's the same armor on the front and side, though I have yet to see rear arc pictures.

Anyone catch that the infantry entry references Codex: Imperial guard in the voice of command entry, while the taurox references the Astra militarum vehicle upgrades....

I dont think I mentioned Rhinos in my post, so no.  I am not saying that.

As for other comparisons...  hey.  You cant go BACK in time and fix the incongruities.  Ever forward.

I dont think I mentioned Rhinos in my post, so no.  I am not saying that.

Then we're fine, I just misunderstood your point.

This kit will probably be the first one that I purchase "new in box" to kitbash and make an Ork Battle wagon or Junka.

As an IG player I don't see this vehicle bringing any thing new and exciting to what they have already ..paper armor no matter how well armed means blown off the board turn one or two and that things profile makes it stand out like a turd in a punchbowl so theres now hiding in cover.

Actually  im feeling rather bummed out about the release as a whole.I mean they seem to be focusing on Ogryns and Stormtroopers ..now since my Orks are Bloodaxes I usually run a detatchement of either IG or Ork depending on the list and in the case of the Ogryns I could probably achieve the same if not better results running a Warboss with some Nobs in a Truck or BW and they would be scoring.As far as the Stormtroopers...sure they are neat and all but still just a T3 deepstriking unit and to me that spells blown off the board soon after hitting the ground.I can run Stormboys with Zagstruck and get some face time on the same turn I hit the ground.

I know  I should wait and see whats in it and either way ill probably get the new book but as to if they get any new rules/units that bring IG up a few notches competition wise ..im not holding my breath.

Yeah, should wait before deciding. Taurox will be a nice one for the model, even if the rules flop. I also like it for the title, as many of the IG vehicles lack Plural-able names for online chat - tauroxen is an easy one for the taurox.

well the Tempestus version is the supplement I think is what he meant.  The Astra Milit...The Guard codex is the main one.

Oh, good. worried for a sec.

Yeah a lot of the AV in the game seems idiosyncratic. Rear AV can be a bit more abstract as it represents flaws that can be exploited in assault.

Other than the new model related stuff I don't see any good rumors about rules changes.

GW are fools if they don't offer more plastics of specific homeworlds, but we might be getting Steel Legion which is great. I would definitely pick up a set since I love gas mask bits. Also Catachans need a new sculpt with more detailed arms.

So, pre-orders up, but no Codex: IG? Is Codex: Militarum Tempestus a supplement or not?

Are they re-making IG? And if they do, will this codex become obsolete?

Taurox is a $48 kit. Infantry are $35 for a meager 5 models.

Dude. There's a pistol with a chainsaw bayonet! Now that is grimdark XD

I love the Taurox Model, but looking at the Rules, I can't see myself ever wanting to actually field it as such. Maybe for Ork conversions, or some sort of homebrew thing.

Depends if they change the chimera. Personally, it would make a ton of sense for GW to streamline the chimera hull to be AV12 side, putting it in line with the hellhound and deathstrike. That said, it would drive up the cost of the chimera to a point where the above vehicle would start being very appealing as a transport, as it would basically fill the role that the chimera had.

Depends if they change the chimera. Personally, it would make a ton of sense for GW to streamline the chimera hull to be AV12 side, putting it in line with the hellhound and deathstrike. That said, it would drive up the cost of the chimera to a point where the above vehicle would start being very appealing as a transport, as it would basically fill the role that the chimera had.

It's not about the comparison with the Chimera. It's about the comparison with the firepower I see on the other side of the board most Games. The Taurox just isn't worth that price for how fast it's going to die. I'd rather go full Infantry than mech up in something like that. If the Chimera gets worse, well, they just stay on the shelf too, then.

• Like 1

Are we over thinking this? 

I like the models.  Kingpin and I were remarking that the models could be built in different ways.  the grill on the Taurox, for example.  One looks better than the other, so use that one right?  And who doesn't have a bitz box the size of Mt. St. Helens after a while?  Don't like the way something looks?  Fix it.

I'm excited about the possibilities.  I am thinking my list may not change a lot in the new codex but I must admit that I am kinda in love with the Taurox.  So Germanesque and very convertible.

• Like 3

Are we over thinking this? 

I like the models.  Kingpin and I were remarking that the models could be built in different ways.  the grill on the Taurox, for example.  One looks better than the other, so use that one right?  And who doesn't have a bitz box the size of Mt. St. Helens after a while?  Don't like the way something looks?  Fix it.

I'm excited about the possibilities.  I am thinking my list may not change a lot in the new codex but I must admit that I am kinda in love with the Taurox.  So Germanesque and very convertible.

Indeed. I kind of like it's boxiness.

• Like 1

I like the Models. I'm just not a fan of the Rules they've been saddled with. I'm gonna have to get the bits for that greatcoat off the Tempestor Officer for some sort of senior officer or adviser or something. I'd love the Taurox if it were either a 30 Point gunjeep or an 80 point upgunned and uparmoured Chimera. But I just can't see myself investing that kind of cash and time in the thing for what I'm getting on the tabletop.