Starting my Elite Army... Or is it more orks?

Lyraeus

1 hour ago, paxmiles said:

Yes, but it's S9, so it's basically a lascannon. Better AP, slightly less total range, and that melta damage roll within half range, but against most targets it's indistinguishable from a lascannon. 

54 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Yeah so re-rolling damage is a huge feature.  It matters.

It's D6 Lascannon shots though I am looking at the RFBC but it's another 26 point change so points... All the points. Could fit it though. 

5 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Depends really. Some people like being known as ruthless. I am not. I am more Efficient than ruthless 

Perhaps you are comparing "ruthless efficiency" to "efficiency?"

Ruthless just means without pity. Does your army show pity the opposing army?

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

They don't re-roll damage. 2 dice, pick the highest, which is better anyway. That said, doesn't increase the min or max damage in the slightest. So it's only better in terms of averages. 

And most targets worth shooting will have invulnerable saves, or hit penalties, or ignores damage abilities. With 2x thermal cannons, I have ~7 shots per turn for 500pts. Even with ideal conditions, it's still only ~4 hits and ~3 wounds on most targets worth shooting. And in ideal conditions target's worth shooting will only have a 5++, so 2 wounds. Damage output is about 7 per turn, which is crap for the points invested.

Mine has 2x thermal cannons because I think they look really cool. 

My meaning was clear, but sure.  Better than re-rolling.  I think that weapon is awesome.

37 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

My meaning was clear, but sure.  Better than re-rolling.  I think that weapon is awesome.

I think you guys missed the Krast Heirloom... It add +1 to damage if the target has over 10 wounds and +2 damage if it's Titanic. So against a knight is D6+2 damage at half range you get the Melta rule

It also makes the Avenger Gatling is now a S6 AP-2 Dmg 4 against other Knights. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

So... I might be pulling an audible on this plan because in my research I came across this nugget... 

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Deffwotch

So now... The only think I can think of is an Ork count as Deathwatch army with Grot Kadian and an Ork Knight Krusader... 

I mean...I have SEEN a Gretcheny Space Marine army done.  It was UltraMarines, had corrugated metal themed vehicles and all kinds of stuff.  It was at OFCC a long long time ago.  Same OFCC there was a BAD ASS Cog-themed awesome army that was i think Tzeentch.  So so incredible i still wish I could find the damn pictures i took of it.

8 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

shoot.  Now you have me thinking.  If you're efficient,  and Paxmiles is an obliterating monster...what does that make me?  Are there other options in here?

Pax is not an obliterating monster but we could call you George and tell you about the rabbits. We'll snotling in your case ^_~

4 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

I mean...I have SEEN a Gretcheny Space Marine army done.  It was UltraMarines, had corrugated metal themed vehicles and all kinds of stuff.  It was at OFCC a long long time ago.  Same OFCC there was a BAD ASS Cog-themed awesome army that was i think Tzeentch.  So so incredible i still wish I could find the damn pictures i took of it.

I think the Cog-themed one was by Devo. At least, he did one like that at one point that was awesome. We may be thinking of different Armies, tho.

4 hours ago, fluger said:

Paging @PourSpelur...

200w.webp?cid=19f5b51a5c6f534a7953644132

DeffWotch you say? Hmm seems like the sophisticated choice a truly handsome gentleman may make.

I really dug into doing them for this year's OFCC. Did a bunch of mock ups and testers if you're interested in some options I've tinkered with. Ultimately, I changed gears a bit. Doing an all Squigs, counts-as IG list this year. Love me some Orks. If you're interested in what I cobbled together hit me up in the PM's, be a pleasure to walk you through what I was happy with and what I wasn't. Couple "counts-as" tips from a dedicated "counts-as" guy.

1) Do it. Even if you only make a single test piece, you'll learn new stuff.

B) Make a couple prototypes. Nothing like buying 30 CSM backpacks and realizing they're not what you wanted to throw a wet blanket on something you were excited to build.

2.1) KEEP IT SIMPLE. You spent 1 million hours on this, you know that the Nob with a harpoon has a meltagun and the Nob with the trebuchet on his back has the plasmagun. Your opponent does not. It may not be optimal for min/max purposes but it allows your opponent to join in on the fun without gotcha moments. My DeffWotch list had everyone with either Stormbolter and Stormshield or Thunderhammer in the infantry squads. Guy with six pistols strapped together and the door to a Rhino on his arm? Easy to tell what he's equipped with.

Fore) Pay close attention to the outlines and sizes of original units. Spot on is best. A little bigger is ok as long as you don't take advantage of it.

G.2) Do it! Be an ambassador to the sheer fantastic clusterfudge that is Ork Kultchur. Be fun to play against, be humble in loss and more-so in victory.

Be awesome.

I dare you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, PourSpelur said:

200w.webp?cid=19f5b51a5c6f534a7953644132

DeffWotch you say? Hmm seems like the sophisticated choice a truly handsome gentleman may make.

I really dug into doing them for this year's OFCC. Did a bunch of mock ups and testers if you're interested in some options I've tinkered with. Ultimately, I changed gears a bit. Doing an all Squigs, counts-as IG list this year. Love me some Orks. If you're interested in what I cobbled together hit me up in the PM's, be a pleasure to walk you through what I was happy with and what I wasn't. Couple "counts-as" tips from a dedicated "counts-as" guy.

1) Do it. Even if you only make a single test piece, you'll learn new stuff.

B) Make a couple prototypes. Nothing like buying 30 CSM backpacks and realizing they're not what you wanted to throw a wet blanket on something you were excited to build.

2.1) KEEP IT SIMPLE. You spent 1 million hours on this, you know that the Nob with a harpoon has a meltagun and the Nob with the trebuchet on his back has the plasmagun. Your opponent does not. It may not be optimal for min/max purposes but it allows your opponent to join in on the fun without gotcha moments. My DeffWotch list had everyone with either Stormbolter and Stormshield or Thunderhammer in the infantry squads. Guy with six pistols strapped together and the door to a Rhino on his arm? Easy to tell what he's equipped with.

Fore) Pay close attention to the outlines and sizes of original units. Spot on is best. A little bigger is ok as long as you don't take advantage of it.

G.2) Do it! Be an ambassador to the sheer fantastic clusterfudge that is Ork Kultchur. Be fun to play against, be humble in loss and more-so in victory.

Be awesome.

I dare you.

So I did some research on models to use and how to get the effect. The hardest is making the Grots look anything but Catachan though hollowing out some cadian helms with a dremal. 

Though if I don't mind never being on a GW Stream then these work. Well with some taller bases. 

iron-reich-goblin-squad.jpg

For the Ork Knight Krusader 

Ork knights are commonish

FB_IMG_1550763045988.jpg

And someone did an a Ork Deffskulls Space Marine kunvershun

16247_md-Boy_Conversion_Deathskulls_Loot

So proof of concept is out there. They are not difficult and diverse enough to be simple an orky wysiwyg 

• Like 1

@Lyraeus, wondering about Da Jump & Warpath. Someone was making the argument that veil of darkness didn't work with 'my will be done' ability for necrons. Stating that because it was removed from the table upon returning lost its ability granted from the Lord. 

Two questions,

1. Is this true? 
  2. Second wouldn't that mean you can't warpath and then 'da jump' a unit as you'd lose that, unless you're within the 18" range the spell to cast 'after' da jumping.

3 minutes ago, Dark Trainer said:

@Lyraeus, wondering about Da Jump & Warpath. Someone was making the argument that veil of darkness didn't work with 'my will be done' ability for necrons. Stating that because it was removed from the table upon returning lost its ability granted from the Lord. 

Two questions,

1. Is this true? 
  2. Second wouldn't that mean you can't warpath and then 'da jump' a unit as you'd lose that, unless you're within the 18" range the spell to cast 'after' da jumping.

The rule in question actually pertains to stratagems but LVO did have a ruling in play that also affected Da Jump. Be aware, officially, the Basic Rule Book FAQ specifies Stratagems. 

"Q: If you use a Stratagem to remove a model from the battlefield and set it up again, does the model retain any persistent effects (for example, a bonus to one of its characteristics as a result of an ability)?
A: No.

It w o uld be REALLY bad for Orks to have Da Jump nullify abilities as it would remove things like 'Ard Boyz and such

22 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

The rule in question actually pertains to stratagems but LVO did have a ruling in play that also affected Da Jump. Be aware, officially, the Basic Rule Book FAQ specifies Stratagems. 

"Q: If you use a Stratagem to remove a model from the battlefield and set it up again, does the model retain any persistent effects (for example, a bonus to one of its characteristics as a result of an ability)?
A: No.

It w o uld be REALLY bad for Orks to have Da Jump nullify abilities as it would remove things like 'Ard Boyz and such

Yup.  Dajump will bone you on abilities.

• Like 1