Base magnets

Sgt. Rock

So I'm planning on magnetizing my bases for my Crimson Fists army, for storage/transport. Problem is, the bases I'm making with my 3D printer don't have hollow bottoms, so in order to use the standard neodymium, I'd have to drill each base, and risk drilling all the way through the base because my rotary tool is too powerful. Does anyone know of any magnet sheet that would be strong enough? Best I can find, really, is some 60 mil stuff on Amazon. Or should I just suck it up and start drilling?

I’ve used the magnetic base bottoms from Litko quite a bit on WHFB models, back in the day.

They’re self-adhesive, about a millimeter thick, and the “standard” strength ones are easily capable of keeping a standard infantry-sized mini attached to a steel sheet; but I’d opt for their “heavy duty” ones for pewter figures or especially beefy ones.

I’ve always had good experiences with Likto. Speedy shipping, good customer service, and so forth.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ish said:

I’ve used the magnetic base bottoms from Litko quite a bit on WHFB models, back in the day.

They’re self-adhesive, about a millimeter thick, and the “standard” strength ones are easily capable of keeping a standard infantry-sized mini attached to a steel sheet; but I’d opt for their “heavy duty” ones for pewter figures or especially beefy ones.

I’ve always had good experiences with Likto. Speedy shipping, good customer service, and so forth.

As long as they can hold things like Dreadnoughts and Rhino-chassis tanks (with an appropriately sized magnet, of course) then that might be the way to go. 

11 minutes ago, andy said:

Do you know anyone with a drill press? It's easy to set a drill depth, so no danger of drilling through the base. Plus, it'd go a lot faster than hand-drilling.

Unfortunately, I don't. I only have my rotary tool and a full on driver-drill at the moment.

15 minutes ago, Sgt. Rock said:

As long as they can hold things like Dreadnoughts and Rhino-chassis tanks (with an appropriately sized magnet, of course) then that might be the way to go. 

That’s probably beyond them. 

Sheet magnets like the Likto ones are a thin layer of plastic, embedded with millions of magnetized steel particles.

The strength of a magnetic field falls off inversely with the cube of the distance from the magnet's center.

Steel magnets have lower strength fields than neodymium magnets to begin with and the Litko magnetic bases are thin and wide... which means the field falls off rather sharply. About 5 mm from a ferrous surface and they’ve got no “pull” at all. So just ordinary jostling motions of a carrying case is going to give a Rhino or a Dreadnaught enough momentum to “jump” out of the magnet’s ability to hold it steady.

The Litko magnets are great for infantry, for vehicles you need to go neodymium (or foam).

A few ideas here.

First, you could use a 1/4" low fluke angle drill bit by hand. I currently do this for most of my magnet holes and it is fast and easy on plastic, but dont know about 3d printed plastics you are using if it would work at all.

Second, It might be MUCH faster in the long run to learn how to use your software and make a hole for magnets before you print them. This would be my #1 choice.

Third, there are many commercial places to buy what you are looking for. This one comes to mind: https://www.squadmarks.com/

I just check Thingverse and it looks like there are 32mm bases you can download that have magnet holes in them. Just a thought too.

21 minutes ago, Sgt. Rock said:

Next question: for the sake of making my life slightly easier, vis a vis the aforementioned drill issues, what do y'all think of putting tanks on bases?

I think it will look odd, but there’s nothing inherently wrong with it. 

• 2 months later...

This has probably been solved since it is a few months old, but in case it is useful.  Ebay (and others) sell thin 1mm Neodymium magnets.  These could fill the role of the "sheets" you were looking for if you glued a bunch of them on the base.  Could also use a flat bit and drill down just 1-1.25 mm and place the magnets in with minimal disruption to the base or worry about  going all the way through.