Grey Knights Next?

pretre

With the FAQ updates, I think GK need a new codex more than DE, as sad as that is.

At present, the DE has some strong options as that FAQ and 7th eliminated many of their weak points (like reliance on troops to score...). Jink got better. DE even got psyker access (Harly, no rolls, but it does grant option for a psychic phase presence, even if limited).

Likewise, the GK FAQ basically removed all the unit special rules for the GK. My strike squads, in example, lost warp quake. None of the units are in line with the other 6th/7th books in terms of point costs.

Seems they are separate issues on separate lines.  I think they will likely do the Dark Eldar before Grey Knights.  Coteaz probably WONT disappear since hes in Codex: Inquisition.  Maybe.

But I think Blood Angels would ALSO be before Grey Knights.

I would have to expect something like BA or DE next, followed by the other, and then GK. They've pulled a few surprises on us already, though, so it's not impossible.

My fear for Coteaz (and my Inquisitional army, which is wholly reliant on him) is that they are going to do what has been rumored for some time and separate the Grey Knights and Inquisitional halves of things, since =][= already have their own book. There's some precedent, since it already happened with the Adeptus Sororitas book, which no longer has Inquisitorial forces in it. It's extra-awkward because the Inquisition book doesn't have the same options (especially transports) as the GK one did and can only take three units of Henchmen in a detachment, as opposed to six, which is a big limiter.

I would have to expect something like BA or DE next, followed by the other, and then GK. They've pulled a few surprises on us already, though, so it's not impossible.

My fear for Coteaz (and my Inquisitional army, which is wholly reliant on him) is that they are going to do what has been rumored for some time and separate the Grey Knights and Inquisitional halves of things, since =][= already have their own book. There's some precedent, since it already happened with the Adeptus Sororitas book, which no longer has Inquisitorial forces in it. It's extra-awkward because the Inquisition book doesn't have the same options (especially transports) as the GK one did and can only take three units of Henchmen in a detachment, as opposed to six, which is a big limiter.

Here's to hoping for the unrealistic outcome, that Sisters, GK, INQ and Deathwatch get released in a single amazing book.

The guy added a pic to prove he s saying the truth, altough it still can be a fake, but i doubt it (i think he blurred the prices because the mods of this forum are ------- and would have deleted the pic otherwise)

7Hw6M3.jpg

ttj2Jh.jpg

edit : thanks paradigm, after years of lurking i created my account tu relay this info, hope it's not a stupide fake ^^

Edited for language by motyak

APs worst fears realized...

Yeah.

To be extra-helpful, they also took away Psybolt Ammunition from everything, removed the Assassins, made Paladins more expensive, and Draigo no longer makes them troops.

So my army is not only not legal, it's also extra-crappy.

hooray, updates. :|

I have an all henchmen army too. Well, 3 fully painted Stormravens and 6 fully painted Razorbacks, and a bunch of henchmen back into the "to be used for......something" pile.
  • Like 1

With 7 th you can never say your army is illegal! It might not be good and it might not fit the restrictions of a certain tourney but it isn't illegal anymore...

Aside from those models that no longer have rules, upgrades I'm not allowed to buy, and setups that don't function anymore, you mean? :P

I have an all henchmen army too. Well, 3 fully painted Stormravens and 6 fully painted Razorbacks, and a bunch of henchmen back into the "to be used for......something" pile.

I feel you, bro. I'm not even sure what I'm gonna do with mine at this point; I feel stupid letting them sit and rot, but I put enough time and money in I don't really wanna sell them, either. And with the presumed changes to cost on Rhinos/Razors and the stripping of all their useful options, I'm pretty SOL on that front. Real bad times.

Yeah.

To be extra-helpful, they also took away Psybolt Ammunition from everything, removed the Assassins, made Paladins more expensive, and Draigo no longer makes them troops.

So my army is not only not legal, it's also extra-crappy.

hooray, updates. :|

To be fair, I thought psybolt ammo was a very poorly constructed rule - wonderful in-game, but basically it allowed players to get unnaturally cheap high strength weapons. It also didn't really fit the anti-daemon theme at all. I think GW needs to decide if GK are anti-daemon, or a full fleged army, then give them appropriate armies of the imperium weapon access (a full army needs preds, whirlwinds, and other normal marine options).

Draigo making them troops is silly in 7th. They're already scoring and with multiple CADs legal your not increasing/decreasing the number. Not really sure with paladins, how you'd give them enough more special rules to be worth their points. At present, they are pretty weak for cost, provided you aren't taking 1-man units... Honestly, making them like a warlock council would be a really cool route.

Duelling rumors:

Grey Knight Rumors - Aug 2014
Long story short, the summary included in the Space Wolves codex is a MISTAKE and is NOT WHAT THE GREY KNIGHT CODEX WILL INCLUDE. It appears to be a terrible cut and paste error from a very early version of the upcoming book and not in any way indicative of that you should look for in the future from the Grey Knights. In short it was a compete mistake.

On a related note, this entire event is part of a larger issue that included a large amount of typos throughout the Space Wolves codex. I would not be surprised to see an updated digital version / FAQ getting cleaned up in short order. Even by GW standards, there has been a big failure on the proofreading side of things with this release.

Grey Knight Rumors - Aug 2014
So... They're out there now, people know they're coming so I can talk about them.

It's true that the Inquisition and assassins were cut. Assassins are getting their own update (similar to 4E) which will let them end up in any Imperial Army without necessarily taking an Inquisitor and have some cool narrative missions/kill team missions.

But we're not here to talk about Assassins.

Grey Knights are definitely getting "stripped" of a lot of the bloat they had before, not necessarily the stuff they had.

What I mean by that is this codex is C:Grey Knights, and NOT Ordo Malleus.

The focus is on the marines and only the marines. If you want to recreate existing armies, its not difficult you just use the inquisitor codex alongside it.

The special characters as rumored at gone, BUT the relics section lets you effectively portray them (functionally) on the table. This lets people convert to their heart's content without conflict as to what is/is not the right way to represent one character or another.

Unlike space wolves and Orks there is no follow up supplement for Grey Knights. It's all in the book already.

Draigo makes paladins troops, but they have to be 4 or more models or else remain elites.

Things got a little bit cheaper to bring them in line with the new base marine costs.

Librarians still require terminator armor.

Land raiders are dedicated transports for strike squads as well.

Deep striking via teleport got more precise.

Grand strategies are warlord traits.

There are 2 new kits only one of which is a vehicle

Have some very unique rules for when playing against daemons primary. /Both/ armies get buffs (fluff wise because GKs only show up when the situation is super dire)

So to reiterate: book is about the grey knights and nothing else cluttering it.

If you want the old book, just grab codex: inquisition to go with it.

It's not GWs fault that TOs are limiting people to two sources. The design process was that the book was too bloated with choices that had nothing to do with grey knights, thus didn't need to be there.

Does it mean less options? Sort of, if you only have one book, but in return you get a more balanced army that isn't being weighed against the strength of inquisitorial henchmen when considering the potency of "GK troops," allowing for a much stronger book if you wanted to play just knights.

Crowe doesn't make purifiers troops in the traditional way, but he has a formation that's him with 2-6 units of purifiers in transports.

In this formation he gets a bodyguard of the new unit that are based roughly on his "story" per se and is the only way to give him a retinue as he is not normally an independent character.

More will hit the internet soon I'm sure but that's all I can say for now

SANCTUS REACH: HOUR OF THE WOLF €39,00
Limied edition, English. 5 new Planetstrike missions for SW and Orks.
WARRIORS OF THE FANG €140,00
New box: 1x SM Commander, 1x Long Fangs, 1x Sky Claws, 2x Space Wolves Pack, 1x Drop Pod.
SPACE WOLVES SKYCLAWS €29,00
5 Space Wolves equipped as an Assault Squad.
SPACE WOLVES LONG FANGS €29,00
5 Space Wolves equipped as a Devastator Squad.
CODEX: GREY KNIGHTS €39,00
DATACARDS: GREY KNIGHTS (ENGLISH) €6,50
Limited edition, English.
GREY KNIGHTS STRIKE SQUAD €47,50
Grey Knights repack. 10 models.
SANCTUS REACH: BLOOD ON THE MOUNTAIN €17,50
THE GREY KNIGHTS OMNIBUS €17,50
WHITE DWARF WEEKLY 30 (ENGLISH) €3,20

I hope they get a rules update and become worth taking.  

The real drawback for 3/4ths of them is that since they can't join units, they are left exposed and die to shooting before getting into melee.  The Vindicare at least can sit back and shoot, but is often too easily counter-shot.  I also dislike that the best use of the Vindicare is usually tank popping, which makes no sense to me.  

Time will tell, but GW's track record for models like this is pretty poor.  :(