Grey Knights Next?

pretre

Unfortunately, hordes of little bugs kind of suck anyhow, given how many things there are that they can't damage, and how little room a proper horde leaves for Synapse to keep them from running away/eating themselves. Also, there are other common Armies, like IG with Wyverns, any decently-built Tau, and SM with TFC, that can just erase Gaunt hordes by the double handful.

Plus the time issue Pumpkinhead mentioned.

• Like 1

Mulling over this, it sounds like GKs have been reduced from an army in their own right to a synergy detachment with other Imperial forces, like Knights, Inquisitors, or Assassins.

You mean the the GK would be "Returned" to a synergy detachment and not an army in their own right. The've gone back to the DH codex without the INQ.

Okay, so the current GK book is a sequel to the DH book. In the DH book, GK and INQ were together in what was basically intended as a synergy heavy supplemental army. It included special rules to use them as allies.

As I read it, looks like new GK are going back to the DH intentions, just without the INQ.

That's what I see too, Pax. Which is OK, but I rather liked some of what was added to the Knights. Ah, well. 40k- swings and roundabouts.

Regarding BAs, my concern is more that they aren't out yet, and that GKs appeared to have received no new models whatsoever. Their performance aside, I really liked the aesthetic of the newer BA kits, and was hoping to see more along those lines.

I think the prognosis for BA is rather better. They've always been a fully-capable Chapter, while GK started out as a single support option that could only be taken as an Ally to another force, and their progression towards being an actual Army of their own has been kind of awkward. I think someone may have wanted to bump them back in that direction, intending them to be an Ally rather than a main force, in the same way that the Militarum Tempestas and Imperial Knights sort of are. I also think that one of the main pushes was just to get them completely separated from the Inquisition, possibly so that INQ could get redone without having to be backwards-compatible with GK. That may well have resulted in a rushed release before they were really ready with new Kits and such.

BA, despite the fact that they've had their stumbles over the years, have always been a full Chapter, and I would expect them to get something more along the lines of what the SW just got, some streamlining, some cleanup, and a couple of new toys.

• Like 3

I think the prognosis for BA is rather better. They've always been a fully-capable Chapter, while GK started out as a single support option that could only be taken as an Ally to another force, and their progression towards being an actual Army of their own has been kind of awkward. I think someone may have wanted to bump them back in that direction, intending them to be an Ally rather than a main force, in the same way that the Militarum Tempestas and Imperial Knights sort of are. I also think that one of the main pushes was just to get them completely separated from the Inquisition, possibly so that INQ could get redone without having to be backwards-compatible with GK. That may well have resulted in a rushed release before they were really ready with new Kits and such.

BA, despite the fact that they've had their stumbles over the years, have always been a full Chapter, and I would expect them to get something more along the lines of what the SW just got, some streamlining, some cleanup, and a couple of new toys.

I know you guys didn't like it, but I think the BT really improved with their inclusion in C:SM and would have loved to see BA in their too. I'd be happy to have my DA in that codex too. Mind you, we're talking about really making it a thick book now...

Just go second ed and put the angels back together!

I just like having all the vehicles and rules in one spot. If we had gotten codex: BT, yeah we'd have more special stuff, but less options and less basic stuff. In example, that previous codex had 1 troops choice option. This codex has 4 troops choices (Initiate Squad, Neophyte Squad, Crusader Squad, and Biker Squad....). If BA and DA we're included, you can bet that you'd have Jump infantry and terminators added to the troop types available. That would be awesome.

The xenos players support the combining of chaos and loyalist factions into a single codex. Why have six different kinds of humans but only one for Tau?

Only 6? Imperial Knights, Sisters of Battle, Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Assassins and Inquisition. That's 6 kinds of loyalist humans without combining chaos marines with "regular" marines and without using supplements...