Grey Knights Next?

pretre

So no new units, fewer units, less powerful units, and a higher price tag.

Yeah, I think I'm going to skip this book.

How so?  They also got cheaper almost across the board.  The psilencer is now amazing and there's a lot of nice combos.  Terminators can have halberds at 35 pts and then get hammerhand off (which is now +2 strength) for S7 attacks at I4!  Also consider that with that special detachment they can come in via deepstrike turn one, shoot, and then run.  That's a lot of nastiness deepstriking in.  

I really like the GK special detachment- I think it might be the first one yet that's actually worth losing ObSec for.

I like that Psilencers aren't just complete garbage now and the Heavy Psycannon is actually better, rather than worse, than a regular Psycannon.

I like that Grey Knight Terminators are the first troop Terminator to not be terrible.

But Salvo weapons are pretty balls on non-Relentless models, which means GKT are basically the only legit option. Stripping away Psybolt was wholly unnecessary; just change the friggin' price, jeez. Losing Psychic Pilot on all of the vehicles is bizarre and makes them much more same-y. And the price bumps on the Dreadnought, removal of most of the unique abilities, etc, etc, are all amazingly dumb.

sigh

I'll live with it, but I won't be particularly happy with it. Something like half of the meaningful rules content was removed from last book to this book, between Inquisition, Assassins, reduced options, etc, and yet somehow it still clocks in at $50. There's cool stuff in there, to be sure, but there's also a ton of stuff that feels like shooting themselves in the foot.

• Like 3

This release reminds me of that WD blood angel dex from 4ed.  A very sad, nothing new, rules clean-up release that kind of gutted the army as it was (a very powerful dex in its heyday, much like GK) but still left a few workable parts that the hardcore BA fans limped along with until 5ed.  Seems very similar for GKs with all the things removed and only some point cost reductions and a few tweaks that are positive changes.

Except of course that the BA codex cost ya what, $12 bucks (and was a free download 3 months later).

Gate plus Nemesis Strike Force =  :wub:

Sadly the command benefit for the strike force is specific to deep strike reserves.  So wouldn't affect GoI.  Unless there's something I am missing.

it has Force now.

The heavy psilencer has about a 1/5 chance of killing a Riptide in one turn (assuming they get Force off) thanks to ID.  It's just shy of a 50/50 vs 3+ save models of T6/7.  

That's not overwhelmingly broken, but something that people will be considering.  What I REALLY like about this dex is that it excels at killing Daemons, which is what it SHOULD do.  

• Like 1

Yup, Now, the fact that the whole army (practically) has ID weaponry in melee makes this less crazy as it sounds in a vacuum.  

Didn't the whole army already have ID weaponry? They did have those force weapons on every GK model, unless you swapped it for something.

Didn't the whole army already have ID weaponry? They did have those force weapons on every GK model, unless you swapped it for something.

The now in there was just conversational.  Read it like I'm talking.  Like, "Now, it's important to remember that fluger is correct, Burk said so."

Yes, they had ID in melee before, so my point was that while a force shooting attack is potent, in the context of the GK codex it isn't all that game-changing.  The units that were afraid of ID in melee, and therefore feared GK, are just more scared.  Armies like my Orks and IG won't care about it one way or the other. 

• Like 1

I am curious, are the GK getting some sort of auto-pass on their force tests, or is their army going to be rather prone to being nerfed by solid psychic defense? Not to mention, the possibility of perils. Seems like much of GK tactics are going to revolve around careful expenditure of warp charges.

They don't have any bonuses for getting Force off, but, considering that it's a blessing and they should have tons of dice hanging around since pretty much every unit is a psyker, I don't doubt that they can get the force power off pretty regularly.  

Well, just thinking because each squads grants one warp charge, but odds to cast is 50% per charge. So, a situation that needs every squad to be firing force shots is pretty reliant on that d6 extra warp charges per turn. Plus, you can't use any other psychic powers if squads are using their warp charge for force powers.

I'm not even to the denial roll. Add deny the witch rolling, which isn't super effective, but it allows the opponent to further limit your army.

Do the GK squads still have a modified brother hood of psykers rule, or if they perils are all models subject to perils as per a normal unit with brotherhood of psykers?

You aren't going to be casting force every turn and prolly only on one to two units at any given time. Also the units will need a spread of specialized weapons so it just means more care in army creation so that the dice you generate can be effectively used for powers.

Sounds about right. Does seem like an army with a pretty high learning curve, both to face and to play as.