Grey Knights Next?

pretre

Oh, good, they took the one advantage of the GK box (can make basically any unit, comes with lots of parts) and removed it. Thanks, GW!

And yeah, being single-model units with two wounds and weak saves meant that the Assassins were basically guaranteed to die. I'm not sure if there's an easy way around that, though; I mean, the Vindicare you can give a really long range and that helps, but the Culexus and Eversor that doesn't really work for. Callidus is theoretically supposed to have done her job by the time she gets on the board anyways, so less of a problem there.

Yeah, they are a problematic unit to give rules to if you want to keep them fluffy.  

Couple quick thoughts:  

All assassins get Preferred Enemy against character models.  

Vindicare:  shrouded, gun is poison 2+ with Ap2 and instant death against infantry models.  Picks his target.

Eversor:  Fear, Fearless, Rampage, Rage, Furious Charge, Ap2 power weapon that deals 2 wounds per unsaved wound

Callidus:  Let her freaking assault from deep strike!  Warlord -1 Leadership, d3 units take pinning test at start of the game

Cullexus:  Psyoculum causes instant death to any psyker, make it count as a psychic hood and adamantium will too.  

Something like that and then make the points make sense.  

I hope they get a rules update and become worth taking.  

The real drawback for 3/4ths of them is that since they can't join units, they are left exposed and die to shooting before getting into melee.  The Vindicare at least can sit back and shoot, but is often too easily counter-shot.  I also dislike that the best use of the Vindicare is usually tank popping, which makes no sense to me.  

Time will tell, but GW's track record for models like this is pretty poor.  :(  

Vindicare tank popping relates to the look out sir rule. You just can't reliably kill characters with the vindicare due to that 2+ save to move the wound. Tanks are the only thing worth shooting with your 150pt assassin.

Vindicare tank popping relates to the look out sir rule. You just can't reliably kill characters with the vindicare due to that 2+ save to move the wound. Tanks are the only thing worth shooting with your 150pt assassin.

While this is true, I think it's absurd that a guy with a rifle is better at taking out a Land Raider than a lascannon.  And, as PourSpelur noted, just make it so that Look Out Sir doesn't work for these shots.  The vindicare should reliably take out non Eternal Warrior characters in one shot, but cost commensurately.  

I'm honestly rather surprised this is happening. I mean, sure, eventually, but suspected Blood Angels next.

As to the content. Eh. I'm not even remotely upset about the Inquisition. Running into Coteaz and his four hundred clones got real old, these last few editions (poor Inquisitor Valeria!). Fewer options sucks, but so it goes.

The Grey Knights themselves...Hm. I'm going to have to wait and see. The loss of the squad-focused abilities hurts, and I REALLY hope we don't get a cut-and-paste "GK Discipline" where I have to roll for freakin' Warp Quake. I always loved my Draigo-Paladin army, though. I haven't had the chance to play it for a bit, and I'm kind of psyched by the though of a pure paladin and focused-Sanctic Daemonology list being viable.

I'm honestly rather surprised this is happening. I mean, sure, eventually, but suspected Blood Angels next.

As to the content. Eh. I'm not even remotely upset about the Inquisition. Running into Coteaz and his four hundred clones got real old, these last few editions (poor Inquisitor Valeria!). Fewer options sucks, but so it goes.

The Grey Knights themselves...Hm. I'm going to have to wait and see. The loss of the squad-focused abilities hurts, and I REALLY hope we don't get a cut-and-paste "GK Discipline" where I have to roll for freakin' Warp Quake. I always loved my Draigo-Paladin army, though. I haven't had the chance to play it for a bit, and I'm kind of psyched by the though of a pure paladin and focused-Sanctic Daemonology list being viable.

Come now, BA have joined the sisters and the squats....

DE or necrons would be obvious, but neither need the codex updates as much as that GK codex.

Got this from Mexican Ork fbook group.

10572200_819063041460615_901839635887457

Translation

"warlord may re-roll his warlord trait. Furthermore you can make reserve rolls for the shock troops in the first round. Troops appear at 3+ and are able to run and shoot (or shoot and run). All units must be Grey Knights faction."

Take it as is.

"Book" is a pretty generous word to describe what Sisters got. Most of the things I would call it won't make it through the profanity filter.

Really?It had more units and options (except pure wargear) than any of our other codexes. I've played all of them (besides 2nd) and this is my second favorite behind Codex: Chapter Approved in 3.5.

• Like 1

Really?It had more units and options (except pure wargear) than any of our other codexes. I've played all of them (besides 2nd) and this is my second favorite behind Codex: Chapter Approved in 3.5.

Considering they aren't making more models and the pdf is basically unsupported by GW, I do think it is a pretty impressive codex.

I was really hoping that BA would be in the C:SM book like Templars are. Likewise, I'd love to see dark eldar and eldar in one codex (you could call it codex: Eldar....). At $50+ per book, condensing the number of books I need to buy would be very kind of GW.

Pretty sure it has fewer units in it than the Witch Hunters book did- it gained the Retinues but lost Inquisitors, Henchmen, and Stormtroopers. In terms of meaningful options, I would say that they are more or less on par with each other (since they both rely entirely on spamming a handful of units), but given that you have years of time elapsed and presumably at least some development work put into them, breaking even with a book from four editions ago is absolutely pathetic.

Pretty sure it has fewer units in it than the Witch Hunters book did- it gained the Retinues but lost Inquisitors, Henchmen, and Stormtroopers. In terms of meaningful options, I would say that they are more or less on par with each other (since they both rely entirely on spamming a handful of units), but given that you have years of time elapsed and presumably at least some development work put into them, breaking even with a book from four editions ago is absolutely pathetic.

Comparing SOB/ecclesiarchy units, this dex has the most of any sob book. I never counted inquisition parts of WH since that was a shoehorn for WH and is still available through C:inq. Trust me, I've run the numbers a few times.