Doctor Who Season 8

I don't watch leaked content, especially leaked content that doesn't have the final effects and is not a finished product.

It was black and white, but I'm pretty sure all the effects were finished. Anyway, was just wondering how those that intend to watch doctor who season 8 are enjoying it, now that it's started to release. If you don't intend to watch released content, I wasn't asking you.

This will be my first ever season watching Dr. Who. My son has recently become very interested in the show, and while I am not a sci-fi- fan, I intend to watch the show with him. I haven't seen more than a few minutes of the show here or there over the years. I just hope I can actually learn to enjoy it, or watching the entire season will be annoying.

Personally, the last season of Dr Who kind of made me not want to watch any more Dr Who. Matt Smith was brilliant, but their writing has been sh*t for the last few seasons. Unless they resolve those issues, I'm kind of done with Dr Who.

Doctor Who has rarely been great art, but it has almost always been entertaining.

As for last season, the 50th and the war doctor were excellent and it had some really great/fun episodes, so what bugged you?

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, Eccleston was awesome! I agree, my favorite Dr. My kids love Tennant and Smith for different reasons.

As to our new Dr. I agree with what is stated above, the first episode is always difficult as you have to 'transition' to the new Dr. I felt the writers were too obvious with trying to make us accept the new Dr. through the way the plot was done (avoiding spoilers). I mean seriously, the character who had issues with it really shouldn't. I wasn't let down, but I wasn't impressed. I hope the villains play an important role in this season, as it felt like it was an odd opponent to bring back and again, only to make us accept the new Dr.

Here's to tomorrow's episode! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Well aside from the fact that it isnt the 8th season...

Each Doctor has been so totally different and I have watched essentially every episode, that I don't EXPECT nor WANT the new Doctor to be like the others.  here was my take on all of them.

William Hartnell was proper and very English despite his Gallifrayan upbrininging.  While he wasn't my favorite Doctor, he did make everything else possible and for that we thank him!

The Second Doctor was a bit whimsical and a sharp departure.  Far more approachable Doctor.  His forced Regeneration scene is pretty humorous to watch and really illustrates how far the series came after that.

The Third Doctor brought class to the Doctor, and what I would consider true Dramatic acting ability.  His companions were solid and went on to be some of the favorite amongst Whovians.  U.N.I.T. entered the picture and the Doctor took a form that much more resembles all future Doctors.

The Fourth Doctor, longest running and always my favorite, was quite good at non violent misdirection, and delivered lines with Wry humor and a very much more "scattered" feel to his personality that has bled through to most of the Future Doctors.  He REALLY impacted them.

The Fifth was a former comedic actor but he played a pretty mature and modern kind of feel, very cosmopolitan sort of Doctor.  Much more of a Warrior type than the previous ones had been and I see some of David Tennant's Doctor being influenced by him.

The Sixth Doctor kind of hailed back to Patrick Troughton (2nd Doctor) quite a bit and he actually got FIRED by the BBC but some of his stories were really well written and very cool.  That Doctor had actually been a Castellan Guard in an episode when the 4th Doctor tried to become President of Gallifrey to avoid prosecution!

The 7th Doctor was the last of the previous run, with his sidekick Ace.  Production value went up a bit, and the cameras they used noticably changed the look of the show.  He was as wry as Tom baker had been but was very much his own Doctor.  Writing kinda was weak and he suffered because of it.  I felt for him because honestly his sidekick sucked as well.  It felt forced and it probably WAS time for a break.  No one could have foreseen how long the break would be!

8th Doctor was a one shot wonder.  Really too bad.

The 9th Doctor Eccleston was an action hero type, the first to really take that persona on.  Kinda hard to understand at times but much more actiony than any other Doctor had been and boy did he like to show off his athletics.  Sheesh.  I got tired just watching him sometimes.  How much running can the Doctor and his buddies do in one episode?  Find out in our next exciting installment.

10th Doctor, of course, was David Tennant.  Haunted by what he had done, he was a very good Doctor but VERY weak companions that came and went which was a little distracting and off putting.  Donna Noble was Clara 1.0 and an awful companion, and they later basically made her again only in the form of Clara with a way better attitude.  Lol.  I thought the story telling was SO much better for him, maybe the best it had been since the 6th Doctor.  His use of the Sonic Screwdriver to produce Deus Ex Machina was so grating that I did not ever feel as compelled by this Doctor as I should have.  I'm praying the next Doctor relies much more on wits and courage than Did David Tennants Bombast and Screwdriver, because those two things were CONSTANTLY on display and in uncomfortably large amounts.  Still he had some REALLY good stories written for him.

11th was Matt Smith and I really liked his companions for the MOST part (Rory annoyed me and River Song was a great story but I think they miscast the part).  I loved some of his stories and though there were some bad ones, as there always are in any series, his acting was able to upstage most of those problems. 

The War Doctor?  No idea where he fits in the time line (though it kinda sorta intimates that it might have been before Eccleston and I do know it was origianlly supposed to BE Eccleston) BUT who cares about Timelines?  it's the Doctor and via improbable Deus Ex machina (Moffett really needs someone to sell him on an editor with some balls who can tell him "no Moffett...  BAD BAD.  No Deus Ex Machina for you")  he gets 12 more regenerations and proceeds to use fireball spells apparently with his new found vigor.  Umm...  anyways, So the War Doctor could conceivably be anywhere along that road.

Our new Doctor?  his first episode was pretty pedestrian honestly, but there were a couple places where I was like "YES!".  I loved how he talked to the Robot pilot dude and the way he matter of factly tells him...well I wont ruin it for anyone.  Spoilers!

Thats my run down.  Love Doctor Who.  Number one fan RIGHT HERE!

• Like 1

I honestly cannot put my finger on what I have not liked about Doctor Who as of late.

I'm in the minority, but I really despised Amy Pond as a character.  I felt the writing in the last season was boring, especially that travesty of a xmas special...that was awful.

Angels take Manhattan was inane.  I felt they just tossed Amy and Rory aside, without actually killing them off (which they should have died due to that Dalek plague thing on the one planet, but they kinda just glossed over all that).  Anyway...

Watched first episode...and yeah...that was meh - 1.  Bored through most of the episode.  I was looking forward to Caripaldi, but I did not feel he was ...very firm as the character.  Again, I think it is writing, so we shall see what happens with episode 2.

Hmm...Interesting takes.

I think the doctor is bored, ultimately. I think each season is him trying new things, and with him seeking new things, so the do the writers. If they try bad writing for a season or two, I don't really see it as a problem provided they try good writing again at a later date.

That said, I didn't notice the same bad writing that is suggested. 

At present, they've switched from an energetic and tenacious doctor to an energetic and tenacious companion. I'm not sure I like it, but I'll stick with it for a season or two. I think it's a pretty solid role reversal of Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper in season 1.

Though in general, I think this season has a somber feel to it, given that we already saw the companion die and the doctor is looking older than ever, both in mind and body. I'm curious if they'll end it, or just find an excuse to keep it going...