Let's come up with a new alien race for 40k

scottshoemaker

Just for funzies.  Something thing totally alien.  What would be their hook?

How about a silicate species?

Maybe a "lost" highly advanced human civilization, fully AI controlled meat puppets, highly cybernetic but quick and scary, not slogging like Borg.

Think outside the box here.  Squats and Zoats don't count.

Go!

Well they did the arachnid thing did the human and elf thing, they did the super soldiers and the pirates, the monsters and and the orks, they did traitors and men in black, the shining hope of Tau...

what other fantasy CONCEPTS can be embodied?  It has to be imperialistic ENOUGH to seek a massive space presence, has to be from somewhere far ENOUGH away that would explain its sudden inclusion, there would have to be a PRETTY DARN GREAT motivation for them to even WANT to enter the known space, given the crap going on there.  Maybe best not to turn those bees on yerself when they are so busy doing your work for you.  

Thats a LOT of problems to solve just in the fluff but it gives us a starting point for questions this race should have to answer.  and a second piratical race, while i am sure it would be fun might not really appeal given we have that already.

A few ideas?  well the Warp gave birth to Slaanesh...what happened to all the GOOD thoughts and actions?  Perhaps a God of Good, a savior for the Eldar people might also be born?  Too partisan on the surface so it cant JUST be Eldar that created it.  Just a thought.

There could also be the races of the Webway that arent talked about much and constantly enslaved to this point.

The Eye of Terror is home to Gawds knows what and they might have finally had enough of Chaos rule and brutality.

One-eyed monsters that spit from their only orifice at they're enemies.  They will become larger when excited, some only a little bit, others upto10 times their starting size.  They will posses a singular desire in life, to invade their enemies over and over again!

Hmmmm... what to call them?

• Like 1

In a CAIPHAS CAIN book, they fight an alien mercenary species called the Loaxil (if I remember correctly).

Basically, intelligent cougar with fletchette guns on their back and they were laser resistant because...reasons and stealthy. Think of a big cat with the Predator's active camouflage.

Non-bipedal

Non Tolkien in space

An actual NEW concept

• Like 1

In a CAIPHAS CAIN book...

...Basically, intelligent cougar with fletchette guns on their back and they were laser resistant because...reasons and stealthy...

Having read most of the Cain novels, I immediately pictured Courtney Cox with a shotgun.  

I don't know what that says about me or my focus/retention from the Cain novels.

• Like 2

One-eyed monsters that spit from their only orifice at they're enemies. They will become larger when excited, some only a little bit, others upto10 times their starting size. They will posses a singular desire in life, to invade their enemies over and over again!

Hmmmm... what to call them?

Burk's got dick on the brain! Quick get him an injection!

The Tau you mean?

The TAU were created by the Emperor, so they are loosely a human faction. They are also far from skilled at uniting the other races. I keep waiting to see what chaos god the TAU will bring about...

Though, on topic with new races, I did have an faction a while back I was working on, just a robot army. Sounds bland, but I think it would fit the setting quite well. Idea is pure vehicle, with no "wound" models at all. In terms of tech, their technology is actually worse than modern, but it's durable. Sort of AK-47, but of robots instead of firearms, old, but very effective. The notable feature of this "race" is that they aren't alive, and don't use the warp, they just slowly move to a destination. They don't feel pain or get corrupted by chaos. They just have a protocol and procedure. They have objectives and directives, but no desires or end-game plans.

In terms of design and such, they really only have a few models, but each robot has been at it for quite some time. They don't die because they don't live. Weapons break and ammunition becomes unavailable in the original format, but the robots don't care where a weapon is from or what powers made it, they see a broken gun on their body, and, for example, a tyranid pyrovore. The robots would actually mount the pyrovore on themselves and use it until it "broke" or ran out of "ammunition." In another example, one robot may be subject to extreme radiation, but they just see their now extremely radioactive hull as yet another "upgrade."

For rules, idea is Sentinel size robots as the smallest model of the faction. They form vehicle squadrons. Entire army is vehicles, mostly walkers. You have one version of standard robot per FOC slot, but every robot is modified by "exposures" which dramatically alter the means to their ends. In rules, this is upgrades the individual robots, not unlike chaos marks, but handled on a model by model basis, rather than a squad by squad basis. Each robot in a squadron is both unique in terms of varied exposures and identical in terms of original design.

As for why they conflict with the other races, pick a reason. They don't think enough for diplomacy. They don't object to chaos, but don't submit either. They have no concept of how their "exposures" may affect other worlds, especially those with living inhabitants. In terms of threat level, they present as comparable to tyranids, as they have no formal allies and seem to have a near limitless number slowly encroaching on the galaxy.

Back to rules, as each robot is a bit different due to "exposures" it makes for varied play styles. Picture three robots, not unlike transformers in humanoid form. One is mutated visually by khorne, with spikes and chains and various species of blood all over. The second one has a tyranid spore chimney growling out of it. The last, looks normally, but is invisibly radiating dangerous levels of radiation. This would be a normal "troops" squadron.

The danger of the robots is their indifferent nature, possibly more so than their original destructive power, as the robots threaten due to contamination from thousands of years of battle.

whuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

The tau bit...Not sure if it's part of the current fluff.

At one point, the TAU were supposed to be genetically altered by the emperor so they couldn't be affected by the warp. It's also why the TAU were sealed off from the rest of the galaxy, as that was the emperor protecting the young tau from the grim darkness that was to come before they were ready. They were sort of an experiement - if a species could function without the warp.

Most of the old fluff has been ditched, though.

The tau bit...Not sure if it's part of the current fluff.

At one point, the TAU were supposed to be genetically altered by the emperor so they couldn't be affected by the warp. It's also why the TAU were sealed off from the rest of the galaxy, as that was the emperor protecting the young tau from the grim darkness that was to come before they were ready. They were sort of an experiement - if a species could function without the warp.

Most of the old fluff has been ditched, though.

I think you are confusing the Old Ones and the Emperor, but I may be mistaken.

I think you are confusing the Old Ones and the Emperor, but I may be mistaken.

Nah, I'm sure it was the Emperor. But the fluff I've got in my head is pretty dated. I keep waiting for the emperor to be reborn/reincarnated, or for one of his children to take over.

I'd like to see a cool aquatic race emerge. Depending on the breed, some need full on environmental suits to survive, while others just need breathers of some sort. Give them cybernetic beasts as well. The modeling options are fantastic. They need some kind of cool weaponry that was designed to work underwater, yet still usable above. Like maybe harpoon launchers with various types of warheads? A dual weapon that also fires a new form of energy for surface use.

I'd like to see a cool aquatic race emerge. Depending on the breed, some need full on environmental suits to survive, while others just need breathers of some sort. Give them cybernetic beasts as well. The modeling options are fantastic. They need some kind of cool weaponry that was designed to work underwater, yet still usable above. Like maybe harpoon launchers with various types of warheads? A dual weapon that also fires a new form of energy for surface use.

Could also go the other route, and add aquatic rules to the game and make your opponents fight underwater. There are very minor rules regarding water features. Land Raiders, in fluff, are able to be used for underwater assaults, but they still lack rules to reflect this.