Black Sheep Brawl IV - March 14-15, 2015

ioscode

Roll tide? Is that a surfing thing? What's that even mean? Do yo even lift bro? He's mad! You mad bro? Yeah, he's mad!

Tomorrow I'm going to find you.

When I find you.

I'm going to look you right in the eye.

When I look you right in the eye, I'm going to say "sup".

When I say "sup" you're going to be super [big bad swear word]ing excited and say "sup!" right back.

I will complete you.

The [big bad swear word]ing end.

*mic drop*

oh noes he didn't! omfg!

When I find you.

When I say "sup" you're going to be super [big bad swear word]ing excited and say "sup!" right back.

I will complete you.

*mic drop*

oh noes he didn't! omfg!

QUE?

When I find you.

I will complete you.

*mic drop*

oh noes he didn't! omfg!

4 words:  THEE ohio state university.  *the actual mic drop*..

...... i think i just puked a little while typing that(all BIG10 fans HATE ohio st)....

Sounds like a fantastic event!  I would have to loved to attend, but had a conflict.  On the bright side, I learned about placenta detachment, and the preferred timing for an episiotomy.

I love seeing Dwarves in 4th; well done Moses!

Also a HUGE congrats and high-five to Matt for pulling 5 (out of 5) favorite opponent votes... that's just plain admirable.  Color me impressed (but not surprised... I've played Matt and he's great).

As a tournament organizer (past and possibly future) I would LOVE to see the comp scores for the armies alongside the standings... willing to share, either via post or PM?

I would second NtK's request for a release of the related comp scores. understanding that the comp score is only one factor for a player's result.

having heard about and experienced new armies/list/special characters from this weekends event it would be nice to know where the "comp factor" is currently at within our meta.

full disclosure, I'm fairly certain mine came in around a 15.

Based on the following chart and a quick look at all the numbers, I'd say we did a fairly good job of balancing everything.  Comp didn't seem to dictate where people placed and what army you brought didn't seem to factor too much, which I'm happy to see.

Quick view of comp vs. place:

ZZK7wbo.png

And here's all the details with comp added in (couldn't copy/paste table, so you get a screen shot):

6fE3cDZ.png

• Like 1

I love Raindog's 17.6 getting 2nd overall. It reinforces my belief that the Swedish Comp is great for helping prevent truly broken lists, but that the +100/150 per Swedish point difference is unwarranted.  A great general with a 17.6 can do just as well as a great general with a 4.9 list.

And Moses 16.9 took best Battle.  Truly impressive.  Love to see the Dwarf love!

• Like 1

Thanks for a great tournament everyone, especially the Black Sheep Gang, who ran it super smoothly. I especially liked the scenarios as they felt like they had a real, determinate, effect on almost every game.

Iraf, 

Respectfully, I wouldn't pull that conclusion from the spreadsheet. Look at Raindog's sports and paint score. His 2nd placement includes amazingly high paint and sports. (which is super impressive - it just doesn't have anything to do with comp, so this doesn't really undermine the comp/battle score relationship.)

If you want to look at how the lists end up relative to their comp scores you should rank the results by only the in game variables (battle + narrative). 

To be clear, I really like the weighting BSB used, but it you're trying to pull conclusions about the utility of the comp system out of it, you should restrict the scores to the in game categories and re-organize. (I tried to do this myself to take a look at the results but found out it's an image file!).

*edit: I'd be really curious to see what this looks like if someone with the file would want to do it.

• Like 1

Also, another reason this result doesn't really inform us on the utility of the +100/-100 point method, is, because that scoring method was not in play, people did not need to optimize their lists to their comp score. They could (and did) take options that were very comp inefficient, because there was no cost in doing so. This isn't a problem with how the comp was implemented, just a difference, and a difference that affects what lists get brought and what comp scores you see.

I understand the want to believe that it's only the general that matters, but I think that if you want to present that perspective it's important to use evidence which is methodologically compatible to the arguments you want to support.

None of this should take anything away from players who did well in the event with softer lists, if anything I'd argue their performance was more impressive than the end results, I was super impressed with where Raindog and Moses finished. In an active comp system they would probably have been rank 1 and 2 for doing so well with softer lists.

• Like 1

(I tried to do this myself to take a look at the results but found out it's an image file!).

*edit: I'd be really curious to see what this looks like if someone with the file would want to do it.

It was late at night and I couldn't quickly figure out how to post a table with whatever syntax the boards use.  When I have time next (probably tonight), I'll reorganize and post the results.

• Like 1

thanks Ben for your efforts and for being cooperative with our requests. it's appreciated.

No problem.  I like looking at the numbers, too.  That being said, I looked at trying to convert a table into code that would work on the forum, but I couldn't find anything that worked quickly, so here are more images:

f6n7l05.png

Looks like a combination of player experience, and the balance between the battle and narrative did a good job of keeping most things even, regardless of comp.  Tournament balance goal achieved, imo.

QPJuhXZ.png

The BSB really was a great event....we'll run...on time with interesting scenarios, great tables and nicely painted armies. Thanks to the Black Sheep gang for hosting the thing!

As for myself, I'm not sure I have ever played a 5 game event where I laid so many eggs. I think I learned a thing or two about playing orcs these days, said hello to some guys I hadn't seen in a while, and met some new nice fellows.

....'till next time!

I had a great time. Thank you all. I played a listed I liked , but felt I had four game where I felt I was fighting uphill. Those lists were all rated stronger than mine and all of the generals were of top quality. It was a challenge to earn vps and narrative points. I am pleased to have earned 2nd place at the Brawl for three out of four years (and first in 2014) and am looking for next year's event.