Codex: Khornekin

pretre

I am SUPER excited for this new book! I was already planning on running a combination of World Eaters and Khorne Daemons for OFCC this year, and this just makes it a whole lot better.

I can just imagine mowing down several units with my Lord of Skulls, sacrificing some Cultists, and then turning one of my Champions into a Bloodthirster. Glorious!

So those rules are cute and thematic and all, but... I don't really see any possibility of this being good. It's the Daemons and CSM codices without any of the units that make either of those books good. You get Blood Tithe from getting into combat, but Khorne's problem has always been managing to get into combat- with no way to Deep Strike accurately, no good dedicated transports, and no special deployment options, you've just got a bunch of derpy guys running across the field hoping the enemy doesn't realize they can just walk in the other direction.

It's a cool concept, but it may as well be titled Codex: Losing on Purpose because that's basically what it's going to do.

So those rules are cute and thematic and all, but... I don't really see any possibility of this being good. It's the Daemons and CSM codices without any of the units that make either of those books good. You get Blood Tithe from getting into combat, but Khorne's problem has always been managing to get into combat- with no way to Deep Strike accurately, no good dedicated transports, and no special deployment options, you've just got a bunch of derpy guys running across the field hoping the enemy doesn't realize they can just walk in the other direction.

It's a cool concept, but it may as well be titled Codex: Losing on Purpose because that's basically what it's going to do.

Fleshhounds have scout and can be joined by not so derpy juggerlords.  I can see a decent army built around that, maybe too 6ed for the current meta but I don't think it's a terrible army.

• Like 1

Slaughtercult

- if this is your primary detachment, you can re-roll Warlord Traits

- if a unit of cultists from this formation fails a morale test, you can choose to remove them as casualties.

- each time you spend blood tithe pts, chose a second lesser result than the first, and apply both effects.

1 HQ from the list- Chaos Lord, Daemon Prince, Herald, Blood Throne, Bloodthirster of Unfettered fury, Skulltaker

2-8 Chaos Space Marines, Berserkers, or Bloodletters

1-4 Possessed

0-2 Chaos Cultists

0-2 Chaos Spawn

Gorepack

- move through cover

- preferred enemy-psykers

- flesh hounds have hammer of wrath and bikers gain shred for their hammer of wrath attacks

2-4 Chaos Bikers

1-4 Flesh Hounds

Khorne's Bloodstorm

- hammer of wrath and vector strikes gain +1 S

2-4 Raptors

1-4 Warp Talons

0-1 Heldrake

Brazen Onslaught

- if outnumbered in close combat, add 1 to attack characteristics

1-4 Chaos Terminators

2-4 Bloodcrushers

Charnel Cohort

- counter attack

- if this is your primary detachment, you can re-roll Warlord Traits

- if HQ is in deepstrike reserve, you can re-roll its reserves roll. Other models do not scatter if placed within 6" of this unit, even on the turn they arrive.

1 HQ- Daemon Prince, Herald, Blood Throne, Skulltaker

2-8 Bloodletters

1-4 Flesh Hounds

1-4 Bloodcrushers

0-4 Skull Cannons

Take tons of MSU, lose on purpose, summon bloodthirsters?

Losing eight of your own units to get one new unit isn't a great plan.

Ooh, How much is a minimum cultist squad with champion? Take a butt-ton of those. Each time they die, they give up 2 Blood Points (1 for squad being destroyed, 1 for character being slain). Plus if you take a CAD of them, that's 6 obsecs.

You only get the Blood Tithe for a character dying (or killing one) if it's in a challenge. So 50pts per Tithe is your most basic cost there, or 400pts per Bloodthirster (assuming you can find a way to suicide them.)

Or, you know, play the game to have fun :)

"Just have fun" doesn't excuse poor game design. You can have fun with a well-designed book- more so, in fact, because half or more of the options aren't useless.

I wouldn't bother summoning personally.  Getting army wide +1 Attack and Feel No pain is much more appealing.

Couldnt you also just ally in a small detachment of knornekin and take advantage of the fact that you were going to be killing enemy units anyways and just have your non-khorne stuff generate the blood tokens. 

There's a requirement for having the rule Blood for the Blood God to actually generate the tokens for killing or being killed.  Early rumors missed that requirement.  So allies could killsteal and their deaths do nothing for your tally.

The comma on te character rule means you get it if the character is slain. Additionally you get it if he kills someone in a challenge. Stupid comma.

I'm not 100% on the grammatical rules there and where the comma(s) should to divvy up the phrases there, but given the way the other rule is worded I would argue that it only functions in a challenge in either case. I think it's definitely something that will need a FAQ one way or the other.

"Just have fun" doesn't excuse poor game design. You can have fun with a well-designed book- more so, in fact, because half or more of the options aren't useless.

Jesus.  You're wailing and bemoaning a book that hasn't even been released, that we don't know all the rules for, and that no one has played a single game with.  People are psyched for a new book and a new way of playing and to "have fun" and all you can do is rain on the parade.  Maybe you could allow people a single day to be excited before implying they are fools for feeling that way.  

• Like 3

I'm not 100% on the grammatical rules there and where the comma(s) should to divvy up the phrases there, but given the way the other rule is worded I would argue that it only functions in a challenge in either case. I think it's definitely something that will need a FAQ one way or the other.

I pick on the comma but I think even without it it would still be that way. Yay rules.