Circular Debates over Assault Rules - Was: New C:SM Stuff

pretre

That's what we like to call a points sink.

And that is why I stopped fielding them. 

That said, all it takes is a 3 knight list and they flip to being an underpriced unit. If the GG league had heavier knight meta, I'd still be fielding them.

The fact that they are WS4 A1 base doesn't help their chances of doing anything, either. A Knight probably kills most of the squad while not dying itself.

You mean the Assault Centurions? EACH model has TWO assault drills. They are deceptively 1 base attack.

Your talking about paired chainfists that strike in initiative order. The knight very likely dies to a 3-man with a chappy (or AM priest or other unit with Zealot). On the charge, looking 3 swings (each) for the basic models and 4 on the sarge. That's 13 swings, with roughly 6 hits without the zealot and 9 hits with. Of those, the average roll will glance or pen an imperial knight. A 3-man Assault Centurion unit should be realistically able to get 5-6 HP off a imperial knight without zealot, provided they get the charge (not hard with a LR or SR transport).

The imperial knights melt against the Assault Centurions.

The problem is that they strike at the SAME initiative as the imperial knights, so the unit lacking invulnerable saves, will also die at the same initiative or from the subsequent catastrophic damage.

Yeah, the Heavy Grav Cannon is still Salvo. 12 shots per Dev Squad on the drop, plus maybe a Combi-Grav from the Sarge. And I'm blown away that they have the Grav Amps, too. I thought for sure they were going to drop those for the PA Grav Cannon.

Right, but they are now competing with things like KATAPHRON DESTROYERS, which are troops and 165 for a unit of 3 with more wounds, more grav shots, move and fire full salvo, and higher toughness.

Right, but they are now competing with things like KATAPHRON DESTROYERS, which are troops and 165 for a unit of 3 with more wounds, more grav shots, move and fire full salvo, and higher toughness.

Destroyers are lacking the Grav Amps, which is a big downside to them. Also, if you're taking Marines as your Primary, the Destroyers have a 100+ Point Dominus Tax. They also can't benefit from Chapter Tactics, and lose much of the benefit of their Canticles unless you've got a big CM Detachment.

Destroyers are lacking the Grav Amps, which is a big downside to them. Also, if you're taking Marines as your Primary, the Destroyers have a 100+ Point Dominus Tax. They also can't benefit from Chapter Tactics, and lose much of the benefit of their Canticles unless you've got a big CM Detachment.

Dominus isn't really a tax for marines. He's a +5pt master of the forge with more wounds, an invulnerable save, more weapons, better rolls to repair vehicles, and so forth. Maybe in a pure non-vehicle SM army he'd be a tax, but in normal SM armies he's a steal. I'm already looking into that "Improved Techmarine" for my DA.

As for the Canticles, although their effects do get better with more units, the stock effects are pretty solid, especially with attached SM ICs. In example, Destroyers are ld 8. I attach a SM libby. The unit is now Ld 10. Now that Canticles which gives them stubborn is pretty impressive. At leadership 8 it's very lacking, but at 10 it works. Destroyers aren't really melee units, but the +1 strength canticle means they are S6, which really isn't too shabby considering it gives them 1 more swing at S6 than a 5-man devastator squad via krak grenades.

Also, the Destroyers are troops, which matters if taken as allied or combined arms detachments (which cult mechanicus can field, unlike the skitarii codex).

On a side note, the LR Excelsior doesn't list a restriction on Extremely bulky models, so I'm really hoping that the new SM (and DA) Book is going to allow them to be transported in the other LRs. Means you could put a 3-man unit inside a Crusader. Could even add an IC.

Personally, I'm still not a fan of grav or these Destroyers, but I do think those Devastator grav squads have some competition now. I really like the Breacher squads. S6 haywire melee weapons, mobile shooting weapons, and PA saves, solid stats, and a troops slot. If anything, I think these breachers are a tax for the dominus, but I like both units.

He's still a tax because you can't choose not to take him. Good or not, he is a mandatory inclusion in the army.

Hmmm...Then I've been using the term wrong. I only consider it a tax if you're only paying it because you have to. It's like real taxes, in that respect. If you want the thing you pay for, then you just buy it. If you wanted to pay the tax, it wouldn't be a tax - that's a donation.

Oh, had it wrong, looks like the cult mech troops are very bulky, not extremely bulky, so a 3-man fits in a regular pod or LR.

Anyone know this?

This bundle contains everything you need to field two Devastator Squads, the rhythm section of the storm from Codex: Space Marines, and a Tactical Squad - twenty miniatures, a frankly absurd selection of weapons, absolute dominance.
The Rythm section of the storm?

It depends on what you want in your Army. If you're just looking at ways to get Grav in, and don't need what the Dominus brings, he's absolutely a tax Unit when comparing Kataphrons and Devs.

The Dominus also has some serious lacks compared to the Master of the Forge. He doesn't fortify a piece of Terrain, he doesn't have the option for high S Attacks with the Servo Harness, can't take a Bike to expand his Repair Radius, can't take a Conversion Beamer or other truly long-ranged Weaponry.

This bundle contains everything you need to field two Devastator Squads, the rhythm section of the storm from Codex: Space Marines, and a Tactical Squad - twenty miniatures, a frankly absurd selection of weapons, absolute dominance.
The Rythm section of the storm?

I thought the Rhythm Section of the Storm was these guys:

ezWY9Eb.jpg

• Like 2