First Time Airbrush Purchase

I'm getting started on my Imperial Knight army, and I'm thinking now is a great time to get an airbrush.  I would need a compressor, as well.  I was looking at compressors at Harbor Freight earlier and 1/5 hp was $80.  I decided to check on Ama, and I've came across these:

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Performance-Multi-purpose-Dual-action/dp/B001TO578Q/

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Multi-purpose-Professional-Airbrushing-Airbrush/dp/B006HJCP8S/

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Compressor-Published-Exclusively/dp/B009ZXNPUA/

http://www.amazon.com/Airbrush-Precision-Dual-action-Compressor-Decorating/dp/B002P646DE/

Any suggestions for a noob?

Doc pretty much nailed it for hardware requirements and pricing.  Just be sure to get a dual-action unit, which you seemed to be looking at, since you'll want that degree of control.

The tank on the compressor helps avoid 'pulses' in the air line from causing problems in the spray as does the regulator, water trap because... Northwest humidity.  Scour Craigslist before buying one, there is usually something suitable less a water trap for less than online pricing if you're looking to save some $.  

I'd suggest one of those 3-in-1 airbrush units to start; ~$30-50 for the airbrush by itself, but the ability to change between needles for different applications is VERY handy, especially early on where you're learning a lot and trying new things.  My brother worked in auto painting and sent me his old Iwata HP-CS, which is nice but only one needle size; I find myself lusting after the versatility of some of the multi-needle units out there for much less.  I'll probably pony up for a cheap unit after my current project and see if I want to invest in a nicer tool for detail work later.

In addition to a small compressor (with tank), pressure regulator/water trap, hose, and airbrush, you should also plan on buying cleaning bottle-brushes, airbrush cleaning fluid/solution, and airbrush medium.  Both P3 (minitaire) and Vallejo make paints specifically for airbrushing, but I've had good luck using a medium with GW/Vallejo non-airbrush paints as well, just pay attention to their consistency and be certain they're free of any chunks/lumps/particulates.  I bought a generic "cleaning pot" which I honestly use as more of a holder than I do  spray-out container, but it is handy for that too.  A gooseneck water-bottle is handy for cleaning the paint cup between colors, and I have a wide-mouth pickle jar that holds the airbrush parts when they're soaking in cleaning solution.  Some empty (Reaper?) paint dropper bottles is super handy for storing/dispensing large amounts of pre-mixed paint/medium in a controlled fashion.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

So coming back to this...

I'm looking at upgrading ours. We have a simple Badger and a little box compressor. We've been trying to figure out how to get to the next level on airbrushing.

So Bosco looks to be recommending:

http://www.amazon.com/Airbrush-TC-20T-AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-REGULATOR/dp/B0038D38AA/ref=sr_1_6?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1432309841&sr=1-6&keywords=airbrush+compressor+tank

41gZJntHC1L._SL500_SS115_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Master-G233-SET-Multi-Purpose-Dual-Action-Airbrush/dp/B0067BAYNO/ref=sr_1_6?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1432310035&sr=1-6&keywords=airbrush

51wHGU0xfOL._SX425_.jpg

And then brush cleaners and cleaning fluid.

I had seen a lot of recommendations for the Iwata HP-CS, but it sounds like you are recommending a cheaper, more versatile brush?

So coming back to this...

I'm looking at upgrading ours. We have a simple Badger and a little box compressor. We've been trying to figure out how to get to the next level on airbrushing.

So Bosco looks to be recommending:

http://www.amazon.com/Airbrush-TC-20T-AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-REGULATOR/dp/B0038D38AA/ref=sr_1_6?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1432309841&sr=1-6&keywords=airbrush+compressor+tank

41gZJntHC1L._SL500_SS115_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Master-G233-SET-Multi-Purpose-Dual-Action-Airbrush/dp/B0067BAYNO/ref=sr_1_6?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1432310035&sr=1-6&keywords=airbrush

51wHGU0xfOL._SX425_.jpg

And then brush cleaners and cleaning fluid.

I had seen a lot of recommendations for the Iwata HP-CS, but it sounds like you are recommending a cheaper, more versatile brush?

My recommendations above were more for someone just starting out and not looking to put significant $ into the investment that they might not continue with.

If you're looking to up your airbrushing game, then I would actually suggest the Iwata or equivalent since the overall performance is generally accepted to be more consistent than the cheaper multi-tip units and it helps you (the painter) dial in your skills a bit more without other variables in play as much.  For someone just trying out airbrushing, I feel like the $30 for the cheaper unit is easier to swallow up-front than $95+ for the Iwata, and the $30 unit will likely still see use after you decide to pony up for the name-brand unit later if you like the technique.

I actually have an Iwata HP-CS and think it is a great unit; my brother who got into painting cars gave it to me when it sat unused for a couple years.  It is definitely a solid 'all-rounder' airbrush, but there are times I would like something with more options (fine/broad spray).  With a 0.35mm needle, the hp-cs unit's spray is a bit fatter than I want to use for individual infantry work (power armor) without being right on top of the work and really dialing in my air/paint combo to avoid spatter or clogging.  Even then, it is still not ideal and I generally haven't liked using it for that.  For vehicle work or some larger models, it is a champ.  If/when I buy another airbrush, it will be one of those 3-in-1 units specifically for the fine and broad (base coating/priming) uses.

For someone just getting their feet wet in airbrushing though, I still suggest one of the ~$30-40 multi-needle units.  It will get outgrown, but can still likely see use for either fine detail or big spray use (0.2 and 0.5mm needles, respectively).  The main reason being cost of initial setup/purchase.  Off the top of my head I think a person can get into airbrushing (kit and maintenance stuff) for ~$150-200 and that is including a decent range of airbrush specific paint at that price.  Given that there are cleaners and techniques that can legitimately damage components, all the more reason I'd rather see them screw up a $30 unit instead of $30 individual parts in a nicer unit.

I recently hammered out the base coating and some shading on a mess of buildings in a panic with my unit and didn't clean thoroughly/properly between colors, by the end I was having routine consistency issues with the performance.  When I take the time to clean the unit between colors and am not in a rush I get a much more consistent performance from it.  Properly thinning/diluting paint also makes a huge difference as well, it is absolutely worth taking the time to pre-mix a decent volume of paint if you're doing a large project in steps to get consistent performance between paint refills in the cup.

I am a big fan of the compressors with a tank, but they generally aren't a requirement for introduction stuff; having the tank helps eliminate pulses from the compressor (not a huge issue in most cases) and lets the compressor cycle off between threshold pressure points so you don't have a constant background noise.  Of course the small tanks on the avg desktop compressor means it is still cycling on/off a lot, and the volume of the tank relative to the compressor cylinder volume influences how effective it is at truly eliminating pulses; in general a bigger tank is better on that front.  I run a medium size (20-30gal I think) tank compressor that lives in my garage and work with a ~50' hose to my patio, running 25-30psi (after line losses, not the regulator setting on the compressor before the line drops it further) it still cycles 3-4 times per session after the initial fill, but it pumps the tank to 110psi and kicks on again around 80psi.  

TL-DR:

If you're (Pretre) looking to step up your airbrush skills/results and already have prior experience enough to know you're committing to the hardware, the Iwata HP-CS or equivalent is a solid choice for a good workhorse airbrush.  I'd get a compressor with a tank off CL (20+gal is nice, but something over 10gal at least).  Another $35-40 lets you get a hose and fittings new at harbor freight so you can put the compressor in another room or outside to keep the noise down while you work when it needs to refill , add a remote mount pressure regulator/water-trap ($~10) that can be mounted at your work surface for convenience and go to town.  And the inevitable "thin your paints" comment that comes with any painting technique :)

The compressor more so than the cleaning kit.  

I just run this through the brush:

31pD-yJsjFL.jpg

As long as you don't let paint set up in the brush, you shouldn't need much more in the way of tools, although the brushes in some of the kits do seem useful.  

Occasionally I will have flecks of paint that do need to be knocked loose, and I usually use a thin metal tool that is definitely not the dull end of the airbrush needle that I pulled out while I was cleaning the airbrush anyways... :)

• Like 1

That cleaner Justjokin posted a pic of is the same stuff I use (thx Amazon!).  Works great between paints/colors and for a thorough disassembly cleaning as well.

I think that would work, but ultimately I think you'll want a bigger tank on the compressor, which is why I like Craigslist option.  Nice thing about that kit is that it has the combo regulator/water-trap already; you could remove that and put a fitting (standard is 1/4"NPT I believe) in the tank there to run hose (coiled plastic or rubber shop-hose) so the compressor can be out of sight or at least moved from right next to your head.  Then remote mount the regulator and connect the 1/8" BSP thread to the airbrush hose as normal.  There are also a few things there I think are unnecessary or wasteful though (cups, holder, etc.) and you could likely assemble a nicer/more-long-term setup for less piecemeal on Amazon and Craigslist.

The only thing I would add is that different brushes have different shapes and its worth a little time considering ergonomics. I prefer the ones that have a larger circumference that tapers slightly. If you can you might just hold a few different ones in your hand to see what is most comfortable for you. 

If you're considering an HP-CS let me know and you can borrow mine to see if you like it.  At present I need to give it a thorough cleaning (I was bad and didn't do so after my last use) so the air-valve tries to stick open/on right now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...