Basing with Cork Tutorial(picture heavy)

Hi...I was asked to if i could make a tutorial on how I make my bases.

I have been making bases this way for years now, after my friend Joel (bigtal) showed it to me how to do it. 

Its quit simple and can produce some nice results.

first collect your supplies.  

Bases

Cork

CA glue

Clippers

Paints 

Brush

Flock(optional, not pictured)

IMG_20150526_175138.jpg

glue the base to the cork

IMG_20150526_175209.jpg

break the base out of the largeer cork piece 

IMG_20150526_175333.jpg

trim the cork with clippers or fingers 

IMG_20150526_175502.jpg

use the cast-offs to add interesting features to larger bases (for 28mm bases I skip this as the models usually fill the base)

IMG_20150526_175642.jpg

paint the base BLLAAAACK!

IMG_20150526_195240.jpg

dry brush a medium grey 

IMG_20150526_195641.jpg

lightly dry brush a light grey

IMG_20150526_195830.jpg

add flock to taste(sometimes I skip this step)

IMG_20150526_200020.jpg

repainted the rim of the base black to finish it off

IMG_20150526_200542.jpg

Now your base is ready for a model.

Sometimes I use bitz from my bitsbox and/or vallejo pumice for added detail.

Hope this is useful to someone

• Like 3

Great tutorial, but I have one small problem with using cork as a base...

It looks like cork!

I think, especially when stacking layers, modellers need to use more fill (spackle, textured gel etc) to remove the obviousness of the layers. The top also needs texturing.

It's not easy, I'll give you that, but every time I see models based on cork, I think... "Ah, more Irish armies!"

• Like 2

Well, I am not overly concerned with little chips, personally.  

My philosophy on models is if it looks good at arms length it will look good on the table and that's what I'm usually going for.  I am not a pro-painter so all I'm trying to do is have a nice tabletop presence. None of the models I have painted look super great up close but do look nice on the table, or at lest that's what I have been told ;)

So I am not bothered by little chips and if its super obvious I'll just retouch it. I don't find it a big deal.

In my experience I haven't had a metal model fall off a cork base. Though I have found heavy metal models need more pinning as whole and pinning both feet has always been a must no matter the type of base I used.

• Like 1

So, do you pin the Plastic Models, or do you find the adhesion to be sufficient?  How about the Warhound, was he pinned, or just glued straight down?

In my own using cork bases, I always pin the model's foot/feet through the cork into the plastic base below with a length of wire/rod.

• Like 1

I haven't found the need to pin any plastic models they all seem to stay attached...unless they fall off the table which is never good.  

The titan is pinned with massive brass rods in both feet down into the wooden base.  The need to remove the base for transport dictated it is not glued to the base, but with the large pins into very tight holes make it very secure while slotted into the base.

• Like 1

Great tutorial, but I have one small problem with using cork as a base...

It looks like cork!

I think, especially when stacking layers, modellers need to use more fill (spackle, textured gel etc) to remove the obviousness of the layers. The top also needs texturing.

It's not easy, I'll give you that, but every time I see models based on cork, I think... "Ah, more Irish armies!"

How do you prevent the cork from chipping? My entire Space Wolves army is based like this but after years of gameplay the painted cork is flaking off around the edges, revealing unpainted cork beneath.

Main issue I've found is that metal models need more pinning with cork.

I think the solution to these issues might be to make a solid assortment of cork bases. Maybe 10 different 25mms, etc. Take your time with spackle and texturing to get them looking just as you like them. Then make a mold of them and cast them in resin. You'll end up with unique bases that look good, are durable, and really good for adhering models. You can get trial kits that are perfect for this sized project from Smooth-on, or stores like Michaels have cheaper (not as high quality and less expensive) materials you can use. The ubiquitous 40% off coupon makes it even cheaper.

Great tutorial! I personally like the look of cork bases. I think of them as a classic war gaming style that makes me feel all comfy and cozy.

• Like 2

Sheet corkboard can be picked up at most office supply stores in tile packs, Fred Meyer and other local grocers may carry them as well.

Pet stores will also carry natural cork (not sheet). Different stores may vary, but it's usually sold by weight and you can select whatever piece you want. It's pretty cheap. For a PDX local option, Pets on Broadway has this type of product available.

So the best solution to the cork texture that I have found is woodland scenics flex paste. If you paint a coat of that on to the cork it covers up the very visible and readable textures. Combining this with slicing more into the layers instead of just leaving them flat you can make some amazing things. Also the flex paste strengthens the cork so that pinning and chipping are not problems.

• Like 1