AoS Tactics?

I really like AoS, every game I have played so far has been a lot of fun. Way easier to show this game to your friends who arent necessarily gamers, Every new person I have played with has really liked it also. The game is simply more accessible than every edition before. 

• Like 2

This stuff is "fun" so long as it isn't argument-prone. Also, for now, he's shown some neat formations. But I'll bet there are better, far uglier formations out there, at which point you've messed up the aesthetic of the game quite a lot.

Here's hoping it plays out well!

Add these 4 things and I think AoS could be an awesome game:

1. A flanking mechanic

2. A few tactical spells

3. An objectives system. One player recommends the 40K tactical missions

4. A points system. I think this one is well on its way

Though I'm working on BroHammer, I haven't written off AoS yet!

my favorite thing about AoS is i can make my growing penis formation a reality... if only i had about 100 zombies!!!

and i hate the statement that AoS has 'no tactics'.  it has tactics. every game generally has a tactic to it so thats an exaggerated and emotionally-based statement.  now does it have as much as 8th? well, that's debatable but we really dont know yet..... it definitely has different tactics thats for sure and im excited to try it out sometime.  august-sept will be my experimentation period

• Like 3

JUST LIKE IN COLLEGE AM I RIGHT???!?! (lol)

haha!

lol sometimes i pat myself on the back for the stuff i did those first two months, but then im reminded that im getting old as [big bad swear word] when i eat a spicy tamale from a food cart and spend the next entire day on the [big bad swear word]ter... 600full-roger-murtaugh.jpg

• Like 2

Well, that was disappointing... at least it was short.

Honestly, if the "tactics" of a game involve making a ring out of a unit so the enemy splits in weird ways during combat then it is not really a game for me. I don't want a game involving minutia of each models movement and wonky formations having large effects on the game.

"I see you've formed the classic dodecahedron formation! Curse you!"

I'd really rather have a game with some grounding in how a actual battle might play out (you know, in a fantasy realm). It of course doesn't have to be perfect, but the point is, forming a weird ring or whatever should not be an effective "tactic" when two armies face off across a field in an epic battle to the death.

Not saying there are no tactics in it, but this guys take on "tactics" is not my cup of tea.

• Like 2

This guy is a total bunch of rubbish. That shield formation...exactly how many dwarfs are now going to be able to pile in? Answer? pitiful few. So in fact, there are only going to be a few really viable formations to stick your units in, depending on who's going to get into combat first. And since there is always the possibility of going twice in a row, that tosses the advantages of those right out of the window.

In the end, you are going to have units close together in order to try to gain supporting pile-ins, or you will do multi-charges in the hopes of spreading out the opposing unit. Yes, there are tactics to use in AoS, just not many.

I'm really tired of the never ending spew of negativity, especially from people not playing the game, with seemingly no intention of playing the game. Do you post in other games you don't play about how you don't like the game you don't play? Honestly, it's gotten to the point where I suspect people are either avoiding the forums, or expanding their /ignore lists. In either case, it's becoming toxic.

You like WHF, great, talk about it in WHF threads. But enough hijacking AoS threads with pointless nonconstructive posts about why you don't like it.

• Like 5

The only person here who is posting off topic is you, AgentP. My post was about the video, debunking the broad statements the guy was spouting. I specifically targeted his "shield" formation for being a load of crap that no one in their right mind would use. Was there a single statement stating that I didn't like AoS because of what he said???? So go F yourself and learn to read.

Please, for the love of god, put me on your ignore list, then I don't have to worry about you jumping on my case because I made a valid on-topic post that you can't see because of your bias.

Easy solution. Just split the forums. I think a lot of the psychology behind doing that would be beneficial in beating back the negativity. But don't replace aos over whfb. That would probably just throw gasoline on the fire. Pretending aos is whfb probably doesn't rub everyone the right way..

• Like 1

** MOD NOTE**

Rule 2: Be Friendly and Courteous
Everyone wants to have a positive experience while on the Forums - please make sure
that you contribute to it. Please do not post anything harassing, threatening, abusive,
lewd, or inflammatory. Flaming people, products, or organizations is never acceptable.
Neither is trolling. Instead, be friendly, helpful, and supportive. Ordo Fanaticus tries to
keep a casual environment and appreciates any help with this.

• Like 2

Right you heard Shane! No more F'ing your selves! Everyone stop it! Rignt now! It's indecent!

Seriously though AgentP, I am pretty sure all the above content is directed at said video. I for one was all "Oh cool, some one is throwing out some tactical ideas", but that video's "tactics" were pretty lame. It was more like "gaming the system" to me. I do not know how much of your rage was directed at me, but I was commenting purely on the video. I found it disappointing that it was not about tactical overall game play and just about setting up formations in ways that seemed under effective and fairly silly.

Plus I think you'd get better results out if a pronged approach by having a block with a couple... um... we'll call them scouts about 2 deep in front of the unit. that way you have the close guys that must be moved to, and the guys in the back in a tighter clump able to get in faster.

Sort of like:

D        D
D        D
DDDDD

DDDDD

*D stands for "Dude"

• Like 1

Right you heard Shane! No more F'ing your selves! Everyone stop it! Rignt now! It's indecent!

Seriously though AgentP, I am pretty sure all the above content is directed at said video. I for one was all "Oh cool, some one is throwing out some tactical ideas", but that video's "tactics" were pretty lame. It was more like "gaming the system" to me. I do not know how much of your rage was directed at me, but I was commenting purely on the video. I found it disappointing that it was not about tactical overall game play and just about setting up formations in ways that seemed under effective and fairly silly.

Plus I think you'd get better results out if a pronged approach by having a block with a couple... um... we'll call them scouts about 2 deep in front of the unit. that way you have the close guys that must be moved to, and the guys in the back in a tighter clump able to get in faster.

Sort of like:

D        D

D        D

DDDDD

DDDDD

*D stands for "Dude"

I wouldn't go so far as to say his video was "silly" but what he did show was rather basic in how one may position a unit prior to charging or perhaps anticipating a charge.And as far as moving across the board in some goofy formation,one will find that its not really needed at all as most of the time we are just using movement trays until the charge turn or when its time to reposition to receive a charge.

After playing some games it does become apparent that there is quite a few different ways to position prior to charge especially when you consider that melee weapon ranges can be anywhere from 1-3",NG`s for instance have 2" reach on a very small model that's easy to cram in if you don't block them with their own ranks while positioning..and those guys wound on 2`s when theres 30+ models so yeah,,they will poke most anything to death if you get the charge AND postion properly to start with.

Its easy to discount the games "Skirmish" style movement and grouping as being void of tactics,but really the more you play it the more it becomes apparent that there is in fact some finesse to playing the charge and pile in game.And that doesn't cover all the possible positioning one could do while falling back and blocking.

The movement and postioning is one of the aspects I really like about AoS.I don't care if its deemed "Simple"...after the daily regimen of Kids,Job and Housekeeping a "Simple" game suits me just fine:)

• Like 2

So a video was posted asking for peoples thoughts. They give their thoughts (which were good observations imo) and then get yelled at for posting off topic. I am very confused right now. I guess people can't express their thoughts on a video unless it's the thoughts someone wanted to hear. The guy brought up some interesting things but I agree with dkieft 100%. Let's keep it civil and not attack someone else's observations

• Like 4

I'm also in agreement with dkieft, in that odd-looking formations meant to manipulate game mechanics are a very obnoxious form of tactics. The aesthetics of the game are important to me, which is why I play a game with painstakingly painted minis and carefully crafted terrain!

I remember what a huge turn off it was when my opponent started creating wacky looking formations in 40k to make 2 units provide cover for each other simultaneously, or to control pile in so that combats would last an extra round, allowing him to avoid counter fire from my Tau.

Yes, its clever, like Ender's Game. And no, this isn't a fight for the survival of human kind(*), so it isn't worth flying around butt first shooting between our knees ☺

• Like 1

I'm also in agreement with dkieft, in that odd-looking formations meant to manipulate game mechanics are a very obnoxious form of tactics. The aesthetics of the game are important to me, which is why I play a game with painstakingly painted minis and carefully crafted terrain!

I remember what a huge turn off it was when my opponent started creating wacky looking formations in 40k to make 2 units provide cover for each other simultaneously, or to control pile in so that combats would last an extra round, allowing him to avoid counter fire from my Tau.

Yes, its clever, like Ender's Game. And no, this isn't a fight for the survival of human kind(*), so it isn't worth flying around butt first shooting between our knees ☺

QUAD-QUAD-QUAD-QUADRAPOST!!!!

ULTIMATE COMBO!

• Like 2