The Harvester of Souls Recap

PumpkinHead

Let me start off by saying it was AWESOME!  Met lots of new people and got in 5 great games. I went 3-2 over the weekend and got the most battle points of the 3 tyranid players. It's not like other tournaments where each round has a defined mission. The way it works at the Harvester is that each table has a defined mission. Some are a more normal modified  maelstrom, or capture and control, and others are kill the terrain which then turns into an objective for you to hold. But not just any terrain, no the terrain that is a MC that shoots at everything within 6 inches and fights back with MC stats. T6, 4W, 4A, I1.  

Brief synopsys of my tournament:

Round 1 Against necrons. Hold objectives which gave awesome cover saves. My B. Heirodule lived because my opponent failed to make a 6 inch charge with his wraiths. It was a good game, but he had more units then I could kill off so he held more objectives at the end and won.

Round 2 against Chaos Thousand Sons. 2 objectives in each deployment zone, those in your opponents deployment zone are worth more then holding your own.  My opponent opened the game by putting 3 wounds on my B. Heirodule (I had a 2+ cover and FNP), which made me freak out a bit. There was a dev squad that I could barely kill. Round 5 I finally killed the last guy. But by the end I had him down to a unit of marines and a unit of summoned pink horrors. I pulled out a win.

Round 3 against Chaos maulerfiends, hellbrutes, bikes, a flying demons prince, and belakor. Modified maelstrom. The game was going surprisingly well for me until my opponent psychic screamed a Flyrant and the B. Heiro to death. Stupid 3d6... grumble grumble... the game turned and he pulled out a win.

Round 4 was against a can wall of ORKS. Morkanots, grot cans, killer kans, kans and walkers of all shapes and sizes. I have had the pleasure of warring against this beautiful army 2 OFCCs ago. He has everything modified to a pirate theme. It is so well done, I felt bad putting my army on the same table. The mission was to control table quarters and the barn in the middle of the table, which gave everyone within 6" I10. I did suprisingly well in my first shooting phase and wrecked 2 kans and took some wounds off of his big Morkanot. When I charged his morkanot with my B. Heirodule I did not notice I was just out of the I10 bubble, which led my opponeont to line up charges to be in that bubble so all his kans got to strike first. He ended up punching the B. Heirodule in the face until it stopped moving. But I got revenge by killing half of his kans.  On the final turn I was able to cast the Horror on his boss's squad and they failed their pinning check, which gave me control over the middle barn and the win.

Round 5 was against drop BA that got to decide which turn they came in. This table we were on was a carnivorous forest. 6 of the terrain pieces, 2 middle and 2 in each deployment zone were MCs and they shot (6 shots, BS5, S6 AP-) anyone that was within 6 inches, and the ferns had the stats of T6, 4W, 4A, I1.  The goal was to hold more objectives then your opponent, but you had to kill the fern to turn it into an objective.  My opponent had the worst of luck. Everything scattered when he deployed and nothing was where he wanted or needed it. He also failed a boat load of armor saves to the plant shooting. In the end, I think the plants killed off an assault squad, 3 drop pods, a dev squad, and miscellaneous other marines.  I was for the most part able to keep my guys away from the plants until I killed it and turned it into an objective. It was always an odd consideration of shoot a fern or my opponent. But in the end my flyrants did enough damage and my mawlocs finally did some work. I pulled out a win.

It was much fun and seeing that everyone was there to have fun made it more relaxed. I would highly recommend this to anyone!

• Like 4

On a table across from me on round 5, was an all bike army that decided to outflank against a chaos blood pack, I think... the one that adds +1 attack when things die... Anyways, the chaos guy lined his dudes up along the table edge, leaving no room for an outflanking unit to arrive and told the guy to outflank away. It was pretty funny, and I think even managed to kill a couple of units before they got to enter the game. It reminded me of the Tau guy that lined the board edge with kroot and stopped a bike army from coming onto the table like back in 4th ed?

• Like 4

Glad you had fun!  Was nice to meet you and put a face to the screen name.  

Hope to see you in the Spring if you can swing it!  The Storm is more of your standard fare event, modeled after Adepticon, NoVa and LVO.  Still fun but a bit different feel.  Harvester is our ode to Bob and I's favorite event, Astronomi-con.

Who were the top players in the tourney? 

A cleaned up version of the results (fixing mispellings and formattings) and ITC ranking lists are in the works.  I can post em here or just check the FB page later in the week

https://www.facebook.com/TheHarvester40kGT

• Like 1

Yeah but you know:  Astra Militarum re just so uncompetitive.  Lol.  

whatever.

Actually, most of the chatter on Frontline or other boards is a general astonishment that IG don't place better in tournaments.  They have all the tools needed to be competitive except they don't have durable mobility that can score.  

• Like 1

Actually, most of the chatter on Frontline or other boards is a general astonishment that IG don't place better in tournaments.  They have all the tools needed to be competitive except they don't have durable mobility that can score.  

One place in a hundred.

the Astra Militarum have a very good codex.  it handles ALL issues as well as you can ever hope for.  It's goy bulk, it's got everything.  Very chunky.

On a table across from me on round 5, was an all bike army that decided to outflank against a chaos blood pack, I think... the one that adds +1 attack when things die... Anyways, the chaos guy lined his dudes up along the table edge, leaving no room for an outflanking unit to arrive and told the guy to outflank away. It was pretty funny, and I think even managed to kill a couple of units before they got to enter the game. It reminded me of the Tau guy that lined the board edge with kroot and stopped a bike army from coming onto the table like back in 4th ed?

That hellforged hunting pack guy is a jerk!!!

Oh wait that was me. 2 squads of bikes ran into the wall.

I finished 3-2. My last three games were maelstrom based so it was a tough road with 9 models.

I love this event and will return every year.

post-1166-0-60790800-1446049737_thumb.jpeg

post-1166-0-45029800-1446049759_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice!

Hopefully I'm going to make it to the Storm of Souls in the spring. Nato Sicarius wants to go as well, so I'd have a ride, which simplifies the whole thing immensely.

The storm is more competitive I believe and is more structured like a tournament with designated scenarios before you arrive.  I believe that is what they said at the end of the harvester.

• Like 3